Types Of Training Balls And Their Use

someblokecalleddave

I've got an array of different balls, used for different purposes, mostly in conjunction with training drills with kids. I'm always interested in the different types that are available and their construction and a couple of weekends ago I came across an exceptionally interesting ball of a type I'd never seen before and forgot to ask the bloke what it was and where he'd got it from. But for all intents and purposes it was a full size four panel leather cricket ball, but when I picked it up it was much lighter... the kind of weight of a plastice training ball. Has anyone ever seen or used these and if so where can you get them from?

I've looked around and seen a Readers indoor ball, which is leather, but as yet I can't find a weight specification. Any of you blokes that play indoor cricket have you seen these or know of anything that fits my description?

I've got an array of different balls, used for different purposes, mostly in conjunction with training drills with kids. I'm always interested in the different types that are available and their construction and a couple of weekends ago I came across an exceptionally interesting ball of a type I'd never seen before and forgot to ask the bloke what it was and where he'd got it from. But for all intents and purposes it was a full size four panel leather cricket ball, but when I picked it up it was much lighter... the kind of weight of a plastice training ball. Has anyone ever seen or used these and if so where can you get them from?

I've looked around and seen a Readers indoor ball, which is leather, but as yet I can't find a weight specification. Any of you blokes that play indoor cricket have you seen these or know of anything that fits my description?
Well i use them you can practice batting without protection with them (thats what we do at our club) but when you bowl you get more swing with it and whzn bowling leg spin you get crazy drift but if you get usedto bowling good length with them you will overpitch dzliveries with the leather ball so fot bowlomg practice stick with the real leather balls :)

Hockey balls and bowling machine balls are a bit smooth, but they work well if scuffed up enough. Some cricket balls last for very long, up to 5 months even if you bowl on concrete with them.

Does anyone know of a brand of ball that has the same properties of a Reader wind ball, but has an obvious seam, not one of those crap ones that wears off or a sewn up one, but a big fat chunky rubber seam that'll make a difference when it hits the deck. When I say chunky I mean about 2mm max raised above the rest of the ball.

Back