Upper Body Strength training?

Unspinable

Upper Body Strength training?

Hi guys,
Are there any other ways to train upper body strength other than push ups?

thanks in advance,
Unspinable

Re: Upper Body Strength training?

Yes, 100s :D
I know you are still at school unspinable but how old are you?

As a leg spin bowler, is there anything you are looking to strengthen particularly or are you looking at batting strength? Or just general strength?

I'm in grade 10.

To be honest I'm looking at general strength, and not really for cricket, because I've just gotten into a junior state title rep soccer team, and we have been doing a bunch of strength work, and while I have been acing sit-ups ect, I have been having trouble even doing ten good pushups.

I am afraid I don't know what age Grade 10 is but I am assuming it is under 17.

If that is the case micoach provided this great workout http://www.pitchvision.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/harrowdrive_turbulence_training_4-week_bww.pdf

Push ups primarily work the pectoralis major and triceps but to be honest with you, what muscles are actually worked depend on your technique. You also need to work the deltoids, trapezius, latissimus dorsi etc.

However, having said that, you do not need too much upper body strength for soccer and http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t57421/ may prove more helpful to you.

Liz is bang on. I would also ask, why no lower body or full body training?

Absolutely, the legs go through a lot in a stardard match and the programme will address this issue along with some upper body work. You should also be working on interval training, explosive movements and turns on the hoof. If you are a mid-fielder, you could also benefit from some continuous work.

Your problem with the pushups may be biomechanical, pm me a video if you are not sure.

We've been doing alot of sit ups, bridges etc, and that I am fine with, but when It comes to Push ups, I fail miserably. We've been doing alot of leg strengthing, like uphill sprints etc, and stuff, I just would not like to fail miserably at the push ups :D

Thanks for the links, I'll give them a look.

Unspinable;335904 said:
...I just would not like to fail miserably at the push ups :D

In that case, just keep doing them; the more you do, the stronger you will become in that plane of motion. Just make sure you are doing them right :)

Yep, the more you do the better you get. Do as many as you can with a full push up then drop to your knees and do more then when you run out on those start doing them up against a wall.

Beofer you know it you will be able to do 20+ easily.

unspinnable what are ur goals do u want to become bigger or do u want to have more endurance type of power

Well, I'm a goal keeper, so I just need upper body strength, I don't really know which one would be best for me sorry.

lol ok you can start weight lifting or you can use ur own body weight. but make sure ur changing up ur excersises or your body will get used to them. for pushups to pyramids they are good quick workout and if you want to start lifting weights that can be good too but make sure u noe what you are doing because you can seriously get injured if you dont. i reccomend taking a fitness class at skool or even hitting your local gym. I currently weight lift its because i noe what im doing i took a fitness class at skool and now i know many excersises and i did alot of research on the internet :p

Hope i could help

Back