Victorian Premier Cricket 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Victorian Premier Cricket 09/10

I think the Hawks will take that third team win. Barry Dawson did you get a chance to have a look at any of the games over the weekend?

I was at the Albert on saturday to watch Rob Cassell's comeback. He will be playing for Victoria by Xmas.

What I want to know is - is there a better player in Victorian Premier Cricket, not to have represented his State than Andrew Kent? Over 6,000 runs at 37 surely he should have played 1st class cricket??

RobCassell fanclub;369250 said:
I was at the Albert on saturday to watch Rob Cassell's comeback. He will be playing for Victoria by Xmas.

What I want to know is - is there a better player in Victorian Premier Cricket, not to have represented his State than Andrew Kent? Over 6,000 runs at 37 surely he should have played 1st class cricket??

Shannahan now at Geelong would be up there wouldn't he

6000 odd runs and 200 plus wickets

not sure if he played a Vic game but was close at one stage

someone might be able to confirm this

RobCassell fanclub;369250 said:

kent was in the vic squad early 2000s but obviously didnt get too much of a gig! goes alright at footy
shannahan was training with the vics like in 03/04/05 but with no contract

Was there for the unfurling of the flag down at Ringwood. Very professional dispaly down there, Stray played the perfect one day knock and took the powerplay downtown.

Popped by Punt Road later that day to watch a mate play, and saw a horrible display by Prahran's 2nds. Looked like a normal, slow Punt Road wicket again, and Ben Torney tore the Two Blues a new backside.

Oh, and let "Warren Ayres watch" begin. Fifty in the first game; could he be the first man to make 1000 2nd XI runs in a season?!

He who knows best;369253 said:
Shannahan now at Geelong would be up there wouldn't he

6000 odd runs and 200 plus wickets

not sure if he played a Vic game but was close at one stage

someone might be able to confirm this
Shanahan never played a game for Victoria. Probably the fact that he made all his runs in 2 day cricket didn't help, as he would've been a better chance for one day cricket with his power and wily bowling.

Certainly deposited a lot of balls onto Camberwell Road in his prime though.

Barry Dawson;369322 said:
Was there for the unfurling of the flag down at Ringwood. Very professional dispaly down there, Stray played the perfect one day knock and took the powerplay downtown.

Popped by Punt Road later that day to watch a mate play, and saw a horrible display by Prahran's 2nds. Looked like a normal, slow Punt Road wicket again, and Ben Torney tore the Two Blues a new backside.

Oh, and let "Warren Ayres watch" begin. Fifty in the first game; could he be the first man to make 1000 2nd XI runs in a season?!

barry, always expect low and slow wickets at grounds where curators are forced to work with walk behind rollers, not enough weight in them to produced quality fast bouncy wickets

Thoughts on Rd 2
  • Got to be some worries down at Scray land, not getting enough runs. Is there list deep enough at the moment? The Geis needs to stand up, had their best year as a club when he had his best year.
  • Reckon Dandenong would love to play against MUCC every year. Rolled 'em for sweet FA last year too.
  • The Cats would be welcoming a return to form by Shanahan and, especially, Buchanan. If he can get on one of his big rolls, then he can singlehandedly win three games before Christmas. Di Giacomo could provide that third quick they have been crying out for.
  • North's batting lets them down again, whilst Ringwood was just a tad too good for the Hawthorn boys. No surprises there.

Barry Dawson;369705 said:
Thoughts on Rd 2
  • Got to be some worries down at Scray land, not getting enough runs. Is there list deep enough at the moment? The Geis needs to stand up, had their best year as a club when he had his best year.
  • Reckon Dandenong would love to play against MUCC every year. Rolled 'em for sweet FA last year too.
  • The Cats would be welcoming a return to form by Shanahan and, especially, Buchanan. If he can get on one of his big rolls, then he can singlehandedly win three games before Christmas. Di Giacomo could provide that third quick they have been crying out for.
  • North's batting lets them down again, whilst Ringwood was just a tad too good for the Hawthorn boys. No surprises there.

THere is a big gap between the haves (Melbourne, Ringwood, Fitzroy and to a lesser extent Geelong and Carlton) and the Have Nots (Hawthorn, Melb Uni, North Melbourne). Could see a few outright results this season.

NorthClubsDontPayPlayers;369886 said:
THere is a big gap between the haves (Melbourne, Ringwood, Fitzroy and to a lesser extent Geelong and Carlton) and the Have Nots (Hawthorn, Melb Uni, North Melbourne). Could see a few outright results this season.

melb uni not that bad, they did roll essendon last week pretty easily, got a solid batting line up and harrop and nick williams are pretty decent quicks and wouldnt call carlton a lesser team compared to the top 3 u mentioned, think they would come extremely close this year esp when they get the full squad on the park

T.Stray time to move states I would have thought.

Has done a lot more than Hill from Melbourne but still not really in the mix.

diamond duck;369889 said:
melb uni not that bad, they did roll essendon last week pretty easily, got a solid batting line up and harrop and nick williams are pretty decent quicks and wouldnt call carlton a lesser team compared to the top 3 u mentioned, think they would come extremely close this year esp when they get the full squad on the park
Melbourne Uni's batting leaves a fair bit to be desired. Cairns is a big loss, he's been their best batsman over the past three years. Their bowling attack is good, and I wouldn't be putting them in a group with NM and HMU, but they'll be relying on Leggett and Sanders making a lot of runs if they are to go OK.

I dont want to turn this into a me bagging Hawthorn each week but I was staggered with the amount of optimism displayed for Hawthorn pre-season.

They are a very, very, very, very ordinary team and very, very, very, very ordinary teams lose one day games by 206 runs as they did on the weekend.

They are a long, long, long, long way off turning things around.

Yes there is still plenty of games to go. I will let this ride for a while now. There are plenty of other more interesting things to talk about.

Such as What are you on about Nicko89? That link doesnt work for me.

hill did peel off a run a ball 100 yest for vic 2nds and just looking at them both when they bat or looking at most people bat vs hill, hill is a class act. not to say stray isnt a gun, he's definately in the mix

Barry Dawson;369705 said:
Thoughts on Rd 2

After Round 4 it has to be asked, will Footscray win a game this season?

With no depth and their supposed stars continuing to fail, what happens from here?

evan gulbis on fire..........surely has to be inline for a 1 day call up........

opens in the 50 over game and slaps em........but in the 100 over format seems to struggle imo at 5 or 6............thoughts???

weapons05/06;371661 said:
evan gulbis on fire..........surely has to be inline for a 1 day call up........

opens in the 50 over game and slaps em........but in the 100 over format seems to struggle imo at 5 or 6............thoughts???

dunno what he's 2 day record is but i think hes a good 2 day player batting in the middle, got a decent 100 in the semi in a struggling position. could move up, as carltons top order isnt settled quite yet with the loss of sheeds & ludes. hits them pretty clean with the occasional brain fade haha
footscray lost a few blokes like love from their batting line up but will get back the duke from india which could help (though i dont rate his bowling). whos got the inside goss on the dogs?

diamond duck;371691 said:
dunno what he's 2 day record is but i think hes a good 2 day player batting in the middle, got a decent 100 in the semi in a struggling position. could move up, as carltons top order isnt settled quite yet with the loss of sheeds & ludes. hits them pretty clean with the occasional brain fade haha
footscray lost a few blokes like love from their batting line up but will get back the duke from india which could help (though i dont rate his bowling). whos got the inside goss on the dogs?

From all accounts they still rate there batting attack.. The loss of love and brohaska has hurt but they have added shaun dean and have got travis dean aswell to go with russ, lindsay, geisler, green and sandri. The key factor is lindsay not making runs.. Last year he was very good and this year he has not fired at all.

News is that he may be struggling with his back.

In regards to their bowling, if lindsay does not fire, its hard to see them bowl teams out. 13 or so wickets in 4 games is pretty alarming. Hastings will help the attack but how much will he help is the question. Hastings also adds a bit with the bat.. but then again he may play for the vics in 4 day games!!

2day cricket is the doggies key but with the chance of being 0-5 after the one day games, they will be making up the numbers and finish in the bottom 4

The youth at the club is not as good as once thought and it could be a hard couple of seasons ahead for a team that 2 seasons agao, should have gone all the way..

weapons05/06;371661 said:

Evan made a fabulous 160 against fitzroy in the semi, with out a doubt besst 1 day opener in the country outside a the contracted bats.

would have to think he has the results in that form to nudge out a blizzard or finch. but knowing the vics mick hill would be in front of him.

2 day form hasnt been as electric as the shorter form yet has got starts made a few tons but still up in the top 10 bats in the state, no one liked you at willi, people in the wdca think your a tool, and as for the thread why you even bothering

Think that there's a fair few people around who still see him as a bit of a front foot bully, and not getting too many runs in 2nd XI cricket last year didn't help that theory. Obviously once he gets in, he sees the ball so well that he can take a lot of teams apart. Still, he hasn't done anything that a Finch or Blizzard hasn't done before when they've been playing consistent Premier cricket.

As for the Dogs, getting Hastings back will be a big boon. Whilst he doesn't ever look like ripping a side apart, nor does he ever get taken to and is usually good for a wicket or two in the longer form. Nor can I see him playing for Victoria unless they have a large number of injuries, esp. with Bravo coming over for the Twenty20s. Shaun Dean, Russ and Geisler are all more suited to the longer stuff, but there is too much left to too few, and too much left for two day cricket, at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back