Videos and Links

Re: Videos and Links

someblokecalleddave;408645 said:
Look at this after working with the stand start drill only for 1/2 an hour or so and then moving to 1 step and 2 steps, I may be on the verge of changing my bowling action completely! If I get this kind of result after just a half and hour I reckon this is worth pursuing. YouTube - Leg Spin bowling - walk in drill

Two cracking leg breaks, one beautiful wrongun, and a good topspinner outside off stump, and some other good stuff for the lefthander!

Maybe the walk is for you?

That wrongun bounced up like a real brute of a ball didn't it? That's a wicket taker, you need a short leg somewhere in there.

You did a good job making that pitch from scratch. Great to bowl on, wouldn't like batting on it though!

Paddock+June+9th+2010+(6)+-+blog.jpg
Yeah it's come a long way in 2 summers. It's only really good to bat on through May and early June. We're able to roll it when it rains and it's pretty flat, I was surprised how flat it got through May and June, but once it's been played on and the sun comes out it soon starts to dry up, crack and crumble. If we could get water on it, it would be okay apart from the batting area, but once we get a dry spell it's pretty good for spinners and deadly for bats! Loaded another video - this is a comparison of the old style with the skip and the new 'Walk in approach' YouTube - Leg spin bowling development.wmv

The image was shot when it was at it's best.

Here's the next video uploaded with the walk in viewed closer and from behind. I think I hit the car mat twice in 3 balls, not bad considering I've never bowled like this before!

YouTube - Leg Spin bowling Drills - walk in technique.wmv

Added a little later - this video shows the new action at an earlier stage in its development, at this point I'm bowling off a 2 step approach and I was realising that the stand start and it's follow up drills were looking very promising. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw0qGxUr4To

someblokecalleddave;408657 said:
Here's the next video uploaded with the walk in viewed closer and from behind. I think I hit the car mat twice in 3 balls, not bad considering I've never bowled like this before!

YouTube - Leg Spin bowling Drills - walk in technique.wmv

Added a little later - this video shows the new action at an earlier stage in its development, at this point I'm bowling off a 2 step approach and I was realising that the stand start and it's follow up drills were looking very promising. YouTube - Leg spin bowling 2 step drill in slow motion.wmv

your alignment and hip drive in that video is a massive improvement. your bowling looks to have much better pace as well in the newest video. i think youve made a major breakthrough.

Why don't batsmen facing my bowling bat like the first 3 deliveries here?

Dailymotion - Shane Warne - The King of Spin [CricWorld] - a Sports & Extreme video

The Strauss wicket is pretty amazing, what's good about this video is the quality, some of these wickets are on youtube but the quality is very poor there and this is a bit better.

And here's a video with the 'Ball of the century' against Gatting in much higher quality than you're likely to get on youtube Dailymotion - Shane Warne Pt1 - ESPN Legends Of Cricket No 4 - a Sports & Extreme video

And another http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcpfcx_the-modern-masters-shane-warne-clip_sport

chippyben;409129 said:
This blokes done some nice work on the Iverson/Gleeson method.

PalmHeads hacking exploits

Yeah i have had a yarn to this bloke over the intertubes a bit, so has dave i think. Nice bloke he is too.
I told him how grimmett invented an iverson style ball using his third finger long before grimmett found the flipper and before iverson was even born! Grimmett writes about it in A Practical Guide, his last book from 1948.

Just had a look at www.howstat.com. Interesting to look at various legspinners stats and they have nice pie charts showing how they got their wickets. The one constant is they all got 50% caught.

where the catches were taken would probably vary a great deal though. someone as talented and calculating as Warne would have had a lot taken at slip or by the keeper, then a fair few taken inside the circle, especially at mid-off, cover, mid-on, mid-wicket. then the rest taken in the deep.

someone like Danish Kaneria has probably had a lot more taken in the deep when batsmen have gone after him and got it wrong.

not that there is any shame in taking lots of wickets caught in the deep. wickets are wickets, the scorebook doesnt distinguish catches from one another. generally speaking id prefer to have the majority of my wickets clean bowled or stumped, a few LBW's (at club level they almost never get given anyway), a few caught behinds, and then the rest caught in the field wherever, with more taken in close than out on the rope. the only type of batsman that id ever "rely" on deep catches for is the seriously talented and attacking ones that you just cant see any other way of getting them out rather than their own mistake (stumpings being the other common mistake). anyone else should give plenty of opportunities for more "stylish" wickets though.

clean bowled off stump turning in from outside leg through the gate is the classic dismissal. as is pitching on middle stump and getting the catch at slip off the outside edge. pitching on off stump to an advancing batsman and turning past his edge as he tries to slog and getting stumped is another satisfying one (both my wickets indoors at the weekend were like this). caught and bowled too. bowled behind the legs is the ultimate goal for any leggie, but always going to be difficult to achieve. i reckon i stand a chance next year in the right circumstances with a bit of luck, but its almost a fluke if it happens, ive only ever bowled a few dozen balls in practice (out of probably 30-50,000 balls bowled) that have landed in the right spot for the batsman not to play a shot or get bat on ball, and then turned enough to hit leg stump. i almost had 2 in matches. one the batsman edged whilst sweeping and helped it onto the stumps, so it wasnt a true bowled behind the legs although it was turning enough that it might have made it on its own, it pitched 3 feet outside leg stump!! the other missed the leg stump bail by about an inch for height but landed a lot closer, the batsman just left it first ball thinking it would go dead straight. he was an arrogant **** as well, id have loved that wicket!

The 50% of catches doesn't include caught behind either so it more like 60% caught with 5-10% caught behind the average. The ratios between bowled and lbw and stumpings vary a bit but its pretty much the same for caught and caught behinds for all the top leggies in the past 50 years.
Kaneria's and Warne's pie charts are virtually identical.
I guess what Im getting at is even the best got a lot of wickets caught so someone like me would probably get a higher percentage still caught. That links in with my posts of the last couple of days on change of pace and how Ive realised how important it is in getting the batsmen to mistime shots.

id have a lot of caughts if my fielders didnt always drop them lol. ive never kept records (although i will start to from next season) on how i get my wickets. but if i had to estimate id reckon on about 30% bowled, 15% stumped, 50% caught, 5% LBW. i got loads of bowled wickets in T20 last season (which is where i took most of my wickets). in sunday cricket i had about 70% of all my potential wickets dropped or missed stumpings (highlighting the importance of good fielders and a good wicket keeper), id have taken loads of wickets with the same deliveries had i been playing more league cricket. next season i should hopefully end up playing league cricket every week, im targeting first XI as there isnt a genuine spinner at the club at present aside from me, everyone recognises the need for one (they tried out a couple of new offies at the end of the season), and i am getting noticed by key first team and club members. if i have a good indoors season and back that up with a solid pre-season then i should get the chance.

Back