Videos and Links

I like him, he is so enthusiastic, you can tell he really loves leg spin and has a wise head on his shoulderz and explains it so simply
I agree very keen indeed Ben , shame he's up north though could do with him down on the coast. Intresting point Dave , do you think with the 90' angle ball , you have to bowl it faster to impart more forward energy as was the case when Warne bowled Strauss behind his legs in '05?

Just found these, One for the offies about their variations , But for me the more fascinating is the video on alignment for the Legspinner , in particular approching the crease on angle.

Our coach recently posted a vid of our team bowling and batting. What do you guys think of my action? I'm the chinaman bowler from 1:44 till 2:05 and 2:17. Thanks for your advice! Please mute the vid, because the music is a bit annoying.

I agree very keen indeed Ben , shame he's up north though could do with him down on the coast. Intresting point Dave , do you think with the 90' angle ball , you have to bowl it faster to impart more forward energy as was the case when Warne bowled Strauss behind his legs in '05?

The main thing I reckon with those amazing Warne balls is that they hit some decent rough. With regards forward motion, I reckon it works against the ball turning as the energy is going forwards, but there's possibly some correlation between putting increased effort into the ball and it coming out of the hand with more revolutions, but it's complex - it needs all the component parts to be there at the same time - e.g. perfect bowling action.

Just found these, One for the offies about their variations , But for me the more fascinating is the video on alignment for the Legspinner , in particular approching the crease on angle.

Do have a lot of time for these videos; shame he doesn't mention the arm very much. these kids arms are so high, too high in fact. if you look at the Warne delivery at the end of that video that gets the bat behind his pads, he demonstrates what for me is the perfect arm position, allows for maximum spin on the ball and actually forces you to bowl up and get that ideal flight, not too airy, not too flat. Perfection.

Our coach recently posted a vid of our team bowling and batting. What do you guys think of my action? I'm the chinaman bowler from 1:44 till 2:05 and 2:17. Thanks for your advice! Please mute the vid, because the music is a bit annoying.

You're probably best off waiting for one of the others to give you technical advice, but one thing I noticed, is that you 'Fall over' as you bowl, you need to try and remain up-right and not lean over as you do.

My arms far lower these days I'm told, but overall so far this year my bowling has been crap, no actually worse than crap, so bad I've been focussing on batting!!!!!!!:eek:

My arms far lower these days I'm told, but overall so far this year my bowling has been crap, no actually worse than crap, so bad I've been focussing on batting!!!!!!!:eek:

don't lose heart Dave, you're only ever one session away from finding some form. I just try to forget bad practice sessions these days, i don't worry about how much i was turning it or anything like that; whereas i used to linger on them horribly. the more I agonised the worse i bowled the next time. I was actually doing negative visualisation at one stage, away from practice, without even a ball in my hand where i'd convince myself i'd lost my rhythm just lying in bed! relax, uphold the basics and bowl with focus on one aspect at a time. somehow it'll come together naturally.

don't lose heart Dave, you're only ever one session away from finding some form. I just try to forget bad practice sessions these days, i don't worry about how much i was turning it or anything like that; whereas i used to linger on them horribly. the more I agonised the worse i bowled the next time. I was actually doing negative visualisation at one stage, away from practice, without even a ball in my hand where i'd convince myself i'd lost my rhythm just lying in bed! relax, uphold the basics and bowl with focus on one aspect at a time. somehow it'll come together naturally.

Cheers man! No I haven't quite given up and I'm putting it down to 'The Joe Factor' and the appalling weather. I'm working on my upper body strength at the minute - shoulders and arms as they just seem to be ridiculously weak. I'll give that a go and see if that makes a difference and persevere for the rest of the season, but I've almost written this season off already and I'm looking to next season and ensuring that I'm fit and ready for the start, if that then falls apart...?

Well straight up, you are the pick of all the bowlers on the vid. Dave picked up youre falling over, maybe over reaching for sure because i would like to see you lower the bowling arm . Also you should be following through stronger. Thats all I would say.

But yeah, great stuff. To me anyway, you stood out as the best player there and the one with the most talent and potential.

You are a tall fellow!!! I think your action looks pretty powerful. The problem of falling over to the right comes from your alignment. I think you get too side on. If you look at the first ball you bowl your body is lined up with the fielder at third man ( Who isnt walking in!). It should be side on with the batsman. I think this is what forces you to lean backwards and raise your arm beyond the vertical to get the ball going towards the batsman. I would look at a few videos of Warne and see how he aligns himself towards the batsman.
If you got this right it would make a big difference and your arm would be lower and you would get more side spin. Hopefully this helps you.

Basics are OK and Chippy's right, you are the best player on display! Chippy's advice is all good and I've added my 2 cents below.

I think you should look at the 2nd video Ashley Humber posted, you appear to be too concerned with your action and not with getting your body weight going toward your target (just outside off for a right hander). If you concentrate on getting your bodyweight going through at your target you'll find that your bowling arm will drop into a better position for legspin and you'll be more accurate.

I'm going to be very vague and say -- front arm. You can do more with it. Think about stretching it more. Not vertically -- but in other ways. ;)

Well straight up, you are the pick of all the bowlers on the vid. Dave picked up youre falling over, maybe over reaching for sure because i would like to see you lower the bowling arm . Also you should be following through stronger. Thats all I would say.

But yeah, great stuff. To me anyway, you stood out as the best player there and the one with the most talent and potential.
Thanks for the kind words and I'll work on it.

Don't know if you guys have seen this one before, lot of stuff you've not doubt seen before but all put together into a package with some talking heads. I personally can never get enough so I found it a good way to spend an hour! also today I had Stuey Macgill start following me on youtube, how about that!

Back