Videos and Links

example of a curveball with nice slo-mo of the release... you can see the ball spinning like a top.
The youtube video title is not correct - the pitch is a curveball, not an 'eephus'.

Maybe someone else will find this interesting too. The 'curveball' is baseball's topspin delivery. In baseball it is vertical movement that is prized as they are swinging a horizontal bat. So they love the drop of the curveball. Now what I think is pretty incredible is that the best curveball pitchers achieve similar RPMs on their 'topspinner' as our best spin bowlers. And if I am correct it is not from giving the ball a 'tweak' but something else.

example of a curveball with nice slo-mo of the release... you can see the ball spinning like a top.
The youtube video title is not correct - the pitch is a curveball, not an 'eephus'.

They show the ball as it's released, not the action that creates the spin. The ball acts slightly differently though because of the seam pattern as well, not that, that's got any relation to how the spin is put on the ball. Lol I love the great catch excitement, they should watch the catches in the IPL this year - no gloves, no crash barriers, just proper catches!

It's not spin-bowling but at 16 mins and 40 secs Glenn McGrath explains how you do away with all those notions of bowling like Warne/Macgill/Hogg/The bloke down the club/Grimmett/Benaud etc.
The whole video is worth watching and there's some good stuff about general bowling at 14 minutes in - getting side on, what you do with your leading arm and where you look etc. This is one of the best explanations and demo's ever I reckon.

Here is an article I've written on PitchVision Academy to assist spin bowlers in understanding the importance and how to brace their front leg when bowling to enhance their performance.

Bracing up with your front leg after front foot landing is critical for exploiting maximum control, speed and spin. Find out how to brace it here:

http://www.pitchvision.com/the-importance-of-the-braced-front-leg-for-spinners#/View attachment 418
Nice one Max cheers for this, I'll be working on this soon with a bit of luck.

Check this video out... Magnus Effect

Blood

That was like an in ducker! Warnes advice obviously working, his arms definitely got lower since they spoke hasn't it.

I'm not sure, that link is actually him bowling in the first test. Actually looking at it again, it does seem there was a generous crosswind present.

I'm not sure, that link is actually him bowling in the first test. Actually looking at it again, it does seem there was a generous crosswind present.

Ah that rubbishes that theory then, I'd love to know what the technical stuff was warne said they worked on. I'm convinced his arm is lower in this test and he does seem to be revving it more.

Has he actually worked with Rashid then?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan-v-england-2015-16/content/story/935041.html

I tweeted at warne to see what it was he told him, not hopeful of a reply but worth a go!! He worked with yasir a day or two beforehand as well. Said he has the best leg break he has ever seen which to be honest I just don't see personally but who am I to argue with Shane warne! Still a real shame they didn't film at least some it, I imagine seeing him coach a near fully developed bowler would be really something. It's pretty clear he's also practicing for this 20/20 series in America soon! That's going to be great seeing him bowl again isn't it.

Back