Videos and Links

His point wasn't that going round the wicket confused the batsman.

He said that if you plan on going round the wicket then first bowl a delivery or two from really wide on the crease over the wicket to get the batsman used to the ball coming from that wide angle. Then when you switch to coming around the wicket bowl the first ball from really wide on the crease to really exaggerate the change in angle. Don't bowl from next to the stumps over the wicket then close to the stumps when you come round.

I understood what he meant, but its nonsense. A bowler can bowl from square leg if he wants, it makes no difference to a competent batsman. There is no such thing as a "change in angle". Every ball comes straight from the bowler's hand to the batsman. There is no angle. Its not French cricket.

A change in angle could make a subtle difference that leads to a wicket. In theory it would make sense that if a bowler bowled a ball from close to the stumps on middle, then from slightly wider on the crease on the same line, the ball would seem to turn less and might get an LBW. But I agree that good batsmen would simply see where the ball is being released and guess roughly how much turn it would generate, then use his feet so that he can either get to the pitch of the ball or play back comfortably. But it worked for Warne so it must have had at least a little bit of practical value?

Why would the ball seem to turn less? Think it through.

It would if the batsman were unaware of the bowler's change. It's best explained if you use a left arm off spinner. If he bowls around the wickets from close to the stumps with a high arm and pitches the ball on middle, it might turn to outside off stump. If he then bowls wide of the crease with a lower arm and again pitches the ball on middle, it might only straighten. So those who didn't notice his change in angle would believe that the ball didn't turn as much as the previous ball, when in fact it did, if you consider the different release point. But of course a batsman isn't blind and would notice such a change and react accordingly.

The degree of turn is the same. A ball that is heading for middle turns to miss off, and a ball that is heading down the legside turns to hit middle. Same amount of turn, different initial direction - and easily spotted by any half-way competent batsman.

Obviously, this becomes even less relevant should the bowler go round the wicket, because at that point the batsman gains a crucial clue in the umpire shouting out "now coming around the wicket" so he remarks his guard and adjusts his alignment accordingly. There is no element of surprise whatsoever.

Any feed backs ?

Leg Breaks (1)

Leg Breaks (2)

Topspin-legbreaks

Googly/Wrongun

Hi Thivagar

I have had a look at your video, you have a good action and look like you bowl a good leg break. It's not the best video angle but there are a few things I would recommend. You need to learn how to use your lower body to create energy, by driving your lower leg peaking your running speed into front foot plant will help you transfer your momentum into your hips. When your front foot lands your leg is too vertical, you need to drive more with your back leg so you can then brace or extend your front leg back into your hips before you release the ball. This will transfer the energy from your lower half into your upper body.

I have the drills to help you enhance this on my upcoming biomechanics course on Pitch-Vision. You can click here to see the preview.

Another small change you should definitely make is your run up should be in a straight line towards the target. This will help you align yourself better in your action, hence allowing you to transfer all your energy towards the target.

Hopefully, you found the recommendations above useful. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Cheers

Max.

TWO new videos, side on and behind view! I hope you enjoy, the behind video is more focused on my action more than what the ball is doing, however I did include some bad balls like drag downs, the videos are only about 1 minute long. Recommend watching on YT for quality reasons. C Cleanprophet B boogiespinner Max Andrews Max Andrews

Hi Tom

Here is the link to your video analysis. http://max-andrews.thinkific.com/courses/learn-how-to-extend-the-back-leg I have included the introductory video from your last analysis as well. There are a few things that I think you should work on to improve your bowling. You’ll notice that your force vector of the direction of force to a lot more vertical than Rashid’s, this will make it difficult for you to transfer your energy efficiently towards the target. In turn, you struggle to drive and extend your back leg effectively. This means you are not generating a lot of force in your lower body, hence your upper body is having to create this force, which makes it difficult for you to be consistent. Have a look at the video analysis which goes over this in more detail. The drills that I recommend for you are the extension, drive and band drills, I have included these in the video analysis. Also, these drills will be available on my upcoming course on Pitch-Vision. Hopefully, this will help you out a bit and let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Max.

Superb Abdul Qadir slo-mo video from 0:40

Looks like a very heavily topspun legbreak. I don't think Qadir had the wide seam angle for the legbreak. By far the prettiest action though IMVHO. All relaxation!

Unexpected treat to find this... footage of Laxman Sivaramakrishnan in ODI vs Pakistan, 1983
from 14:20

absolutely peach of a delivery at 18:30 to remove Javed Miandad

You wouldn't believe the amount of politically correct criticism we have had in Australia about the term, "Chinaman".
I read an article in a paper here in the UK about it with the same viewpoint you're extolling - having read it, came away with a different view. Then spoke to women I work with and sit next to - Astra Achong who's distantly related to him she suspects as here Dad's from Trinidad and says his Dad's relatives played cricket there at a high standard. Being related she thought it was a bit 'Sketchy', when I told her the story. Just seen Boogie Spinners link to the article above.

Back