Virat Kohli Resigns as India Captain

Sharkman84

Virat Kohli on Saturday took to Twitter to officially announce his decision to step down as Indian cricket team's Test captain after the series defeat against South Africa. The star batter had taken over the job in the year 2004 as two-time World Cup winning skipper MS Dhoni's replacement.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

A bit surprising but also not surprising at the same time. I had thought Kohli would remain as captain for a little while longer given how the side has fared under his leadership but his form over the past two years has dropped significantly. He has averaged 28.15 with the bat from his last 27 innings (since February 2020) with no centuries, four 50's and four ducks.

I imagine one of Rahul, Pujara or Rahane will be appointed captain. India host Sri Lanka for a three test series (plus three T20I's) next month so they will appoint Kohli's successor soon. I can see a future where Kohli potentially plays white-ball cricket only within the next few years should he not recapture his test form soon.

Now for the bloke to retire completely then happy days.

Great batsman, Massive tool.

I wouldn't call him a massive tool.
I've seen him mature whilst skippering his country.
He's actually a lovely bloke. Just has white line fever.
A bit like a couple of the afl players we know of.

A surprise as he had given away white ball captaincy so figured that was purely to concentrate on Test cricket. He said after seven years holding the Indian reins that it was time to step away (below).
1642288659434.png
I agree Kohli has matured from the brash, arrogant youngster he was.

A surprise as he had given away white ball captaincy so figured that was purely to concentrate on Test cricket. He said after seven years holding the Indian reins that it was time to step away (below).
View attachment 1368
I agree Kohli has matured from the brash, arrogant youngster he was.
His behaviour on the tour they first won here was a disgrace. Even when he was injured and Rahane was the stand in captain he managed to make him all about himself.

The bloke's got an ego as big as the Grampians.

His behaviour on the tour they first won here was a disgrace. Even when he was injured and Rahane was the stand in captain he managed to make him all about himself.

The bloke's got an ego as big as the Grampians.

He's much better now.

Nothing written about the current India series. Well first of all we had an abysmal preparation with most of our X1 playing T20 crash and bash. CA are a joke. Why did they not put their foot down and set up a week long spin camp up at the Academy with a former spin international consultant overseeing it.

The blame for this humiliation must lay at the feet of those that run cricket in this country, all should be sacked!

Last edited:
Australia has handed India the Border/Gavaskar Trophy without even a whimper. It was one of the most embarrassing displays I have ever seen. The way we panicked like scared rabbits in the second innings of both matches was humiliating. Hey great idea lets go on a sweepathon, that will worry India. Sure it will. What a joke, most of our useless bats dont know how to properly execute the stroke. This was a green lite to their pair of master spinners, Ashwin and Jadeja and they simply ate us for breakfast.

Last edited:
Virat Kohli on Saturday took to Twitter to officially announce his decision to step down as Indian cricket team's Test captain after the series defeat against South Africa. The star batter had taken over the job in the year 2004 as two-time World Cup winning skipper MS Dhoni's replacement.

Good thing happened for him. After stepping down from captianship, he is scoring more runs.

Australia has handed India the Border/Gavaskar Trophy without even a whimper. It was one of the most embarrassing displays I have ever seen. The way we panicked like scared rabbits in the second innings of both matches was humiliating. Hey great idea lets go on a sweepathon, that will worry India. Sure it will. What a joke, most of our useless bats dont know how to properly execute the stroke. This was a green lite to their pair of master spinners, Ashwin and Jadeja and they simply ate us for breakfast.
Hopefully we've learnt from that for the WTC Final.

Back