VTCA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: VTCA Thread

fooey5for10;268948 said:
**laugh** dont know, brother. could you possibly have me mixed up with michael "freddy" stringer?? im usually the one with war paint plastered all over my face!! ;)

I was thinking of Stringer the pumpkin head what a legend.

fooey5for10;268909 said:
**laugh** i already know the finalists for the north d1 1 day sundays division: latrobe university, keilor, st albans & tullamarine.

how do i know?? these are the ONLY 4 teams in the division!!

wonder who had this brainstorm of an idea. go to the website & see for yourself... joke!!
Only 4 teams entered for one-dayers in the North so why shouldn't they have a game.Get a life.

Pay me the money boys. no play 4th. one-day game next week. Rumour has it 33% of grounds were ready. 1 x senior, 1 x senior "A", 3 x nth "A", 3 x nth "B", 3 x sth"A", 1 x sth"B".

Dingo_Jones;269103 said:
Pay me the money boys. no play 4th. one-day game next week. Rumour has it 33% of grounds were ready. 1 x senior, 1 x senior "A", 3 x nth "A", 3 x nth "B", 3 x sth"A", 1 x sth"B".

Good get Dingo, the feed back that I got was that your information was pretty much spot on.
Good to see commonsense prevail.
Which member of the Exec are you?:rolleyes:

Sniffin Around;269110 said:
Good get Dingo, the feed back that I got was that your information was pretty much spot on.
Good to see commonsense prevail.
Which member of the Exec are you?:rolleyes:

I'm not a member of the exec. I do appreciate the work they do on our behalf for the good of cricket. I have dedicated my life to cricket at the junior level because our level of cricket needs all the help and direction it can get. I also love the interaction from the various contributors on this forum. The more opinions and ideas posted on this site is great for our association. Even if some comments are a little too close to the truth for some at times. We should all remember that an opinion is just that. It's neither right or wrong.;)

the bride will be happy with this information when i tell her dingo... its only week 1 because shes already claiming to be a "cricket widow"!! ;)

My understanding was that the south grounds were the main reason for the cancellation. If that's the case I understand the effect on Senior and Senior A but surely if the majority of the grounds in North A & B are ready to go why not play. There is consequence to the top two grades or for the rest of the south competiton. This there a problem with the North playing a 2 day game opposed to a one day game in the south grades the following week. The first thing I was told when I started playing in the VTCA was the exec rule on possible cancellations based on the unavailability of the gorunds in south division. Madness absolute madness, surely if you can get a start on the first Saturday in October you take it!

Guru14;269179 said:
My understanding was that the south grounds were the main reason for the cancellation. If that's the case I understand the effect on Senior and Senior A but surely if the majority of the grounds in North A & B are ready to go why not play. There is consequence to the top two grades or for the rest of the south competiton. This there a problem with the North playing a 2 day game opposed to a one day game in the south grades the following week. The first thing I was told when I started playing in the VTCA was the exec rule on possible cancellations based on the unavailability of the gorunds in south division. Madness absolute madness, surely if you can get a start on the first Saturday in October you take it!

Dingo_Jones;269103 said:

Get a clue Guru.

Silly Point;269201 said:
Get a clue Guru.

I know why they call you silly, 3 x north B there's only 4 games that happen on any given weekend so I would suggest that would mean they would be pretty close to all games ready for a start. Read between the lines Silly Point:cool:

Dingo_Jones;268379 said:
Hey guys, I'm wondering if any of you have an opinion on the v.t.c.a. extreme heat policy. Apparently play in the nth A grand final played at canning st. last season albion v's st. bernards was suspended when the temperature reached 38 Degrees at around 3pm on the last day.They say st. bernards runs chase was probably out of there reach because they had lost too many wickets. But osborne was still in and they had the beleif they could get the runs required in the remaining overs. My source tells me the temperature as announced by the weather bureau ranged from 38 to 38.90 degrees for 2 and a half hours. Play was finally called off at 5.30 with the temp at 38.50. Seems to me st. bernards was seriously disadvantaged as albion already had a first innings lead. I'm not aware of an extreme heat policy in premier or vsdca cricket who are supposed to be the trend setters. So why do we have it. Imagine coming off the ground when it gets to 38.20degrees. How pissed will you be then. we still cook at 37.90 degrees, 39.90 degrees won't be any different.
Dingo Jones you have a very good point. We have seen a good game ruined due to an arbitrary temperature level. Why not have the the temperature limit set at say anything above 40C and if the temperature is above 40C then play stops. What makes the current limit special. Why is is set at the current limit?

If the captains increased the number of drink breaks or even reduced the game length anticipating a hot day then all particiapants ought to be happy. Like alot of these discretionary matters there is room to argue one way or the other. However, it was a shame to have a hotly (pun intended) contested game, in your example the Grand Final, spoilt because of a couple of degrees.

Of course, you may reply that if the temperature gets to 40C and play is stopped, why not increase the temperature then to 42C so play could continue? Clearly, there must be a cut off. As noted above why is the current heat level chosen and is it really too low?

Heywood Jablowme;269206 said:
Dingo Jones you have a very good point. We have seen a good game ruined due to an arbitrary temperature level. Why not have the the temperature limit set at say anything above 40C and if the temperature is above 40C then play stops. What makes the current limit special. Why is is set at the current limit?

If the captains increased the number of drink breaks or even reduced the game length anticipating a hot day then all particiapants ought to be happy. Like alot of these discretionary matters there is room to argue one way or the other. However, it was a shame to have a hotly (pun intended) contested game, in your example the Grand Final, spoilt because of a couple of degrees.

Of course, you may reply that if the temperature gets to 40C and play is stopped, why not increase the temperature then to 42C so play could continue? Clearly, there must be a cut off. As noted above why is the current heat level chosen and is it really too low?

38 deg c = 100 deg f simple!.I think the VTCA brought this in just in case anybody drops down dead.We live in a society where anybody can sue anyone.This way i think it may protect them.

Heywood Jablowme;269206 said:

Makes sense to me! I find it strange that the weather is taken in Melbounre City, with the improvements in weather technology couldn't we find a closer comparison. For example games in the north side you have a weather report for both Tullamarine and Werribee and the south Oakleigh and Mentone?? If I was playing at Werribee with a nice sea breeze at 31 why should i stop playing because it's 38.1 in Melbourne. Progression in technology should mean progression in the rules and the way the exec think. We saddle up every year to play cricket shouldn't we find ways of getting on the park rather than finding ways of staying in the rooms.

News Flash;268109 said:
Opening Batsmen & Guru14. I can assure you both that Kwaja is playing with Kingsville this year, and he has been appointed coach .

Back to this big mouth Oracle. Like I have previously stated, he is a gutless little boy who hides in disguise that he plays at Kingsville, and is an opening bowler.

I know who he is and have given you both the lead to flush that nerd out into the open.

Direct all your questions about Oracle to Yarraville Club, as he plays there.

Have you noticed since he last opened his nerdy gob and slagged all you good people on here, and I asked him he deserves a second chance not to say that he plays at Kingsville, he has since vanished.
News Flash if that's the case Kingsville have done very well in securing Kwaja as your coach. Quality bloke and exceptional cricketer, he will make a difference to the way your club goes about winning games this year. Attacking batsman who can take a game away from you as quick as asking who's in next and a slower ball which gets more blokes out then his stock one. Have you picked anyone up, though I know it has been tough at the minute with numbers and such. Good luck mate I know the club is in some pretty good hands.

Boofa;269219 said:
38 deg c = 100 deg f simple!.I think the VTCA brought this in just in case anybody drops down dead.We live in a society where anybody can sue anyone.This way i think it may protect them.
Boofa you should be called boofhead! You write that 38C is 100F you are correct. In fact 30C is 100.4F. But I was asking why is that the level chosen to stop playing. I was not asking for a conversion from degrees into farenheit. For example why could we not stop playing at 40C which is 104F. You say it is "f simple". Of course the conversion is simple by why is that the level chosen?

I also know that people can drop dead at any temperature but the risk increases as the temperature increases mainly due to exhaustion. Do you have actuarial figures that show more people die at 38C than 40C? Do other sports have a heat policy? If so what is the point at which games are stopped?

You also write, "We live in a society where anybody can sue anyone." That is also true but you must remember that you must have a cause to sue someone. The courts will not entertain rubbish matters despite what A Current Affair or Today Tonight might want. People know the rules of the game before they play and know that the heat policy is there to protect them. Safety is paramount, that is why the policy exists. On the other hand, in Australia we realise that the temperature can reach 40C plus and that we must be prepared for this. The Slip, Slop and Slap campaign and the skin cancer campaign run by the governments advertise the dangers. If we wear a hat, appropriate clothing, sunscreen, intake more fluid, have breaks, this all reduces the effect of heat on our bodies. We know this and must be ready for the heat. If you think you are not up to playing in that heat, then don't play. This is not elite cricket but is raising the bar 2C that shattering?

My questions went not to whether there ought to be a heat policy, that is a seperate argument, but accepting the need at this level of cricket, whether the policy is too conservative and why is it set at 38C. Surely you are not arguing that it is set to 38C simply because it converts to 100F. As a matter of logic it is pure nonsense.

If the VTCA has a perfectly good reason that they have chosen 38C so be it. I am prepared to listen to their reasoning. But if it is set at 38C because as you say it means a round number conversion of 100F then that is not a reason to set it at that level. It is also not logical to set it at 38C because 40 years ago that is what they did. I was enquiring about a logical reason and will not be a great denier if I hear one. Even just one cogent argument.

Guru14;269203 said:
I know why they call you silly, 3 x north B there's only 4 games that happen on any given weekend so I would suggest that would mean they would be pretty close to all games ready for a start. Read between the lines Silly Point:cool:

Roughly 66 clubs in the VTCA.. 12 grounds ready, give it up champ.
8 games in nth B 'guru', dont forget the 2nds. 8 games 3 grounds. Do the maths.

Have a nice day

Heywood Jablowme;269264 said:
Boofa you should be called boofhead! You write that 38C is 100F you are correct. In fact 30C is 100.4F. But I was asking why is that the level chosen to stop playing. I was not asking for a conversion from degrees into farenheit. For example why could we not stop playing at 40C which is 104F. You say it is "f simple". Of course the conversion is simple by why is that the level chosen?

I also know that people can drop dead at any temperature but the risk increases as the temperature increases mainly due to exhaustion. Do you have actuarial figures that show more people die at 38C than 40C? Do other sports have a heat policy? If so what is the point at which games are stopped?

You also write, "We live in a society where anybody can sue anyone." That is also true but you must remember that you must have a cause to sue someone. The courts will not entertain rubbish matters despite what A Current Affair or Today Tonight might want. People know the rules of the game before they play and know that the heat policy is there to protect them. Safety is paramount, that is why the policy exists. On the other hand, in Australia we realise that the temperature can reach 40C plus and that we must be prepared for this. The Slip, Slop and Slap campaign and the skin cancer campaign run by the governments advertise the dangers. If we wear a hat, appropriate clothing, sunscreen, intake more fluid, have breaks, this all reduces the effect of heat on our bodies. We know this and must be ready for the heat. If you think you are not up to playing in that heat, then don't play. This is not elite cricket but is raising the bar 2C that shattering?

My questions went not to whether there ought to be a heat policy, that is a seperate argument, but accepting the need at this level of cricket, whether the policy is too conservative and why is it set at 38C. Surely you are not arguing that it is set to 38C simply because it converts to 100F. As a matter of logic it is pure nonsense.

If the VTCA has a perfectly good reason that they have chosen 38C so be it. I am prepared to listen to their reasoning. But if it is set at 38C because as you say it means a round number conversion of 100F then that is not a reason to set it at that level. It is also not logical to set it at 38C because 40 years ago that is what they did. I was enquiring about a logical reason and will not be a great denier if I hear one. Even just one cogent argument.
Sorry i was .222 of a degree out
37.888deg c is 100.00 f .Rounded up is 100 deg would you like a maths lesson?

Silly Point;269266 said:
Roughly 66 clubs in the VTCA.. 12 grounds ready, give it up champ.
8 games in nth B 'guru', dont forget the 2nds. 8 games 3 grounds. Do the maths.

Have a nice day

Thanks Silly just get my calculator out now. VTCA clubs have always been straight up with the exec how stupid of me. Maybe they should start calling me Silly or is there room for only one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back