Warming Down

lewissaffin

Warming Down

I start the winter nets with the club next Saturday. For the past 2/3 seasons, at the start of the winter nets period, I have done some bowling, woken up the next day and felt my shoulders ache.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

It generally stops after 2 weeks of winter nets because the shoulders just get used to it.

P.S. The title was hastily thought up and might be the answer. I'd just like some advice :p

Re: Warming Down

I know i may sound like a ****** here but how do you warm down? I know the theory and reasoning but what should you do in a warm down? My brain tells me its silly but my body says do it but then i don't even know what processes to do.

phil2oo8;385102 said:
I know i may sound like a ****** here but how do you warm down? I know the theory and reasoning but what should you do in a warm down? My brain tells me its silly but my body says do it but then i don't even know what processes to do.

Don't quote me on this and I'm sure Liz will put us right if it wrong - the same exercises and moves that you used to warm up but nowhere near as intensively and for as long - slowly easing the exercises as you go.

Quite right Dave, this is [generally] the best way to go. Don't forget the developmental stretches right at the end ;).

By the way Phil, it is not your brain telling you that its silly... its that hormone you guys have in abundance :D. Your brain knows it makes sense! Come on Phil, which of the two rules your life? x

No it seriously is my head, i'm not such a macho driven idiot to think that to warm down would inevitibly offend my families honour. It really is my brain it's like "Why Phil are you even thinking of re streching your tired muscles? Is there much logic in basically loosening yourself up for the final result of doing no more exercise".

Oh Phil.... ... ... ...

... ... ... ... No, thought about it and don't believe you. It's a no brainer!

During activity, your muscles contract and shorten. If you do not stretch afterwards, these muscles cool down shortened. Who would want that? You need to stretch so that the muscles cool down lengthened, allowing the joints to function correctly. Everyday living with shortened muscles cause so many problems and premature wear and tear.

Btw, some hormones are actually glycoproteins ;)

Wow! Many apologies to others for going off topic but this is great...
...hormone action is dependent on its initial binding to a protein receptor molecule; quite often, this is a glycoprotein.

This post from http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t57430-2/#post239830 may help:

Liz Ward;239830 said:
Warning! Get yourself a cup of tea/coffee or pint of beer and take the phone off the hook before starting this posting :laugh:

A 10 minute warm up is fine for the fit; this should include mobilisation, a pulse raiser and flexibility.

There has been a lot of research around the subject of stretches in recent years. One suggests that performance is reduced by approximately 9% for the first hour after performing them; quite significant if you are a footballer. Other research shows that injury is 10-12% more likely to occur to a muscle during an activity if it was previously stretched statically. I must apologise, I do not have references at hand at the moment.

The ECB no longer encourage static stretches during the warm up phase; favouring dynamic flexibility.

I am sure David will not mind me referring you to the following article. He wrote it with cricketers in mind but it also applies to footballers...

http://www.harrowdrive.com/how-your-warm-up-can-make-you-a-better-cricketer/

...for footballers, I would add hamstring leg swings [with a partner].

It is important to set aside time for a proper cool down. This should include a pulse lowerer and developmental stretches.

The aim of the pulse lowering component is to systematically decrease the exercise intensity. When exercise is stopped suddenly the metabolic factors that produced vasodilatation are still present and the rate of blood flow to the muscles will still be rapid. This can lead to blood ‘pooling’ in the legs, depriving the heart of enough blood to maintain an effective pumping action. If the heart and brain are momentarily deprived of oxygen, it could lead to dizziness, fainting and may induce heart irregularities.

If the exercise intensity is gradually lowered, the massaging action of the muscles against the veins assists venous return, helping to maintain cardiac output, remove metabolic waste products and normalise the heart rate and give the blood vessels time to establish vasoconstriction.

The developmental stretches are to help prevent the muscles from cooling down shortened. Shortened hamstrings are less efficient, therefore, performance and potential can never be maximised. Shortened hamstrings also put a strain on your lumbar area :D

Talking of which, after a little rest, you need to work on the core muscles that support your spine, one being the quadratus lumborum [the one causing you problems at the moment] an important lumbar spine stabiliser.

I suggest the side raise. It requires significant levels of co-contraction of most of the trunk muscles and is a very useful exercise for anybody requiring advanced core strength in the standing or running posture.

Research using electromyography has shown that during this exercise, the obliques work very hard to raise the trunk laterally whilst the lower back and abs are working significantly to assist.

Other research has suggested that the side raise is effective for recruiting the qadratus lumborum muscle. The latissimus dorsi muscle helps to stabilise the arm whilst the gluteals stabilise the pelvis.

So many athletes suffering running overuse injuries of the lower limb present with poor gluteus medius function and is probably the most important active component in the achievement of a biomechanically efficient running technique!

OK, if you survived this post and need any more help or clarification, please do not hesitate to come back to me. I promise to make the next posting short :laugh:

Back