Warming up for a spell

edladd

Warming up for a spell

I had my first game of the season at the weekend, but unfortunately it was waaay too cold for the gear I was wearing. Consequently, when I get a chance to bowl I was stiff and so anything that wasn't wide was too slow :(
In my 2nd over, I was much better - but it shouldn't have taken me an over of live action to warm up.

Aside from needing to get more appropriate gear for cold days, my main problem was - even though the captain gave me two overs notice, I didn't know what I should be doing to warm-up. I swung my arms around a bit and jumped up and down, but I'd like to hear what specific things you guys do to get ready for a spell? Especially on chilly days.

Re: Warming up for a spell

Do some walking (forwards, backwards and sideways; from standing start and lying start), then some jogging and then some sprints. Roll your arm over, touch the ground, kick your arse, high knees etc...when you are jogging.

It is really important to mobilise your back as well as your hamstrings and rotator cuff.

edladd said:
Basically just get moving! Thanks for the reply.

It sort of works for me. I, like you, take ages to warm up (once went a 2 hour net session without unstiffening) and the key is to find 15 minutes, prior to any cricket work to get moving. As Liz says, mobilise your back too.

Standing rotation [hips static] and side bends should do it. Bending forward would be good for the hamstrings too but don't hyper extend; bend backwards :D

Back