Wcl Championship (world Cup Qualifier) -- Final Round

troll3y

972184_550536625012764_319059817_n.jpg

With Ireland having secured top spot -- and 2015 World Cup qualification -- with two games in hand, the last remaining team to automatically qualify has come down to a nail-biting finish between the Netherlands, Afghanistan, Scotland, and the United Arab Emirates. (The teams that don't qualify directly can qualify by finishing in the top two of a ten-team qualifying tournament held in New Zealand next year.) With the exception of the Canada-Netherlands games, all of the final-round WCLC games can be streamed on the ICC website (though sometimes a link to the stream is hard to find on the site).

I had previously said that Canada's current form, even at home, puts a gallant Netherlands in the box seat to comfortably win both games. This was before the Intercontinental Cup (four-day) game between the two sides, however, in which Canada won comfortably. The ODIs will most likely come down to NRR, though, and I would argue that Afghanistan are better at aggression than the Netherlands. That said, Kenya can do very well to counter that aggression, whereas Canada might not be.

Kenya play pretty well in the Emirates, so I would say that Afghanistan has a slightly harder job than the Netherlands in the final round. I like Scotland, but while they'll put up a valiant effort in the last games, I don't see them winning *both* games against Ireland to qualify. The UAE will probably finish ahead of Scotland, but that one extra loss will hurt them in their race for second. If I had to choose, I'd say the Netherland's "easier" fixtures will get them scraping through, but I can easily see Afghanistan's flare blazing them through on NRR.

It is very tough to predict a final result, which makes this upcoming last round of fixtures highly enticing and entertaining. I truly hope more of the world will pay attention to it.

I'll admit 95% of that post was copy-pasted from my post in the Associate and Affiliate Cricket Facebook group, and I just amended it for current events :p

Even though the first ODi has gone to the reserve day, we can assume that the Netherlands have botched the first step to finishing second. At least Ben Cooper made a great debut for the Dutch, but it looks like Tom Cooper's absence is sorely missed with both bat and ball. Kenneth Kamyuka also had a great first game (albeit for his second Associate/Affiliate team), and the new-ball partnership between him and Jeremy Gordon could be lethal for Canada.

It could work out well for the Netherlands if they don't finish second: because the WCQ tournament is in January-February, they may still not have the services of Tom Cooper (who has committed to South Australia for their domestic season) nor will Edgar Schiferli be competing in the World Cup. Hopefully the Dutch can use the extra games to find a way to compete without their two missing stars.

Rain interrupting the first ODI between the Netherlands and Canada.

The matches between Scotland and Ireland should be interesting as I expect Scotland to want them more as Scotland have a slim chance of qualifying second and Ireland are their arch rivals. Ireland have a lot more class on paper but motivation might be an issue. Controversially, I'm picking Scotland to sneak home in the first one and lose the second one heavily.

I think Namibia will cause UAE a lot of grief as well as Namibia seem to have a decent batting line-up but lack consistent bowlers. UAE to miss out.

My prediction for who qualifies second is Afghanistan as I agree with you and believe they'll overpower Kenya reasonably easily and get through on a superior NRR.

Gee Kenya have fallen some way behind the pack as have Namibia. Wasn't long ago they were two of the better associate sides going around.

I was pretty surprised to see that Ireland had almost choked. I went to bed at about the half way stage just before the wickets fell, and they were looking fairly comfortable for the win. Gutting for Scotland, but like the Netherlands, the extra Qualifier games could help them: both teams are in need of strengthened and venomous pace attacks, so they can use those extra pre-World Cup games to work on that.

Back