Welcome along

micoach

Welcome along

Hi Simplycricketers :)

Allow me to introduce myself and put out a request for questions.

I'm David Hinchliffe. I've been involved in cricket, fitness and nutrition for as long as I can remember. My dad used to take me to his club games when I was a mere lad and I scored many runs in various back gardens across Berkshire before graduating to play real games at a reasonable club level ;)

I've been an ECB qualified cricket coach (although it was the NCA back then) for over 12 years. I've coached a range skills from under 9 to ICC Associate level. My proudest coaching moment is spending one summer at the MCC indoor school in Lords.

I take s special interest in fitness and nutrition for cricket and have a bachelors degree in Sport and Fitness. I've consulted with the North Gear 2020 Premier League, representative squads and individual cricketers all over the world.

At the moment I run www.harrowdrive.com, which allows me to write daily (almost) on the game I love.

So with that in mind, feel free to post your questions and discuss any point of what I loosely call cricket fitness but that includes every element that goes into physical performance (or more runs, wickets and catches if you prefer):

• nutrition and healthy living
  • functional endurance and work capacity
  • functional strength, power and speed
  • balance, mobility, flexibility and posture
  • basic movement skills

Together I hope we can learn some new stuff and improve all our games.

Re: Welcome along

Welcome to "your," area David,

Hopefully we can have a beautiful partnership ;)

Could i ask a question. As an ECB qualified coach, what would you ideally like people to do over the winter months to keep fit? What is the best way? How many times a week etc.

Welcome to SC, hopefully you'll give these forums a boost with your vast knowledge about the game :)

Wow you seem to be a really accomplished coach. hopefully we can improve our game with your advice.

Simbazz said:
Welcome to "your," area David,

Could i ask a question. As an ECB qualified coach, what would you ideally like people to do over the winter months to keep fit? What is the best way? How many times a week etc.

Thanks, I feel welcome already :)

That's quite a difficult question to answer. It's very personal as everyone's life and priorities are different.

I realise a lot of club cricketers will not be that bothered about training at all, just playing for fun and exercise. Others will be aiming to get the best from themselves and have a commitment to practice a lot more.

It also depends what you want to get from the winter. Some people will want to lose weight, some will want to become stronger and faster. Some players will just want something to do on a Saturday afternoon until spring!

Then there is your current fitness level. If you have never been in a gym before you will not be able to train as hard as someone who already trains 5 times a week.

So there are a lot of factors to take into account.

As a general rule I would recommend the following (remember this might not apply to you but I'm happy to give recommendations based on personal goals):

• Make a plan based on your goals and stick to it.
  • Exercise in some form 2-5 times a week.
  • Include some resistance based training with free weights or bodyweight.
  • Run or sprint, don't jog or use gym machines.
  • Keep monitoring your progression (whether it's body weight, body fat, weight you can lift or distance you can run).
  • Master the basics. Don't go too advanced to soon.

This is a customised version of the ACSM exercise guidelines if you need to know where the data came from :)

Back