Were t0 get older balls

louis l

Were t0 get older balls

i want some older balls to practise with prefereable ones you could still make swing were do you get them ?

Re: Were t0 get older balls

This is the million dollar question - as of yet I've never managed to find a reliable source.

Your best bet is to stake out ebay and look for people selling whole cricket kits as they may have some balls they're willing to split from the main lot. Occasional job lots do turn up but in general stay away from some of the Indian/Pakistan makes like Spay (I think that's the name) as the balls are very, very poor and do more damage than good.

Yeah they come up on EBAY very rarely but you're going to be in competition with me for one as I'm on always on the look out for such balls and they do go for quite high prices - you might be surprised how high!

Depending on how much you want to pay, one option is to look out for end of season sales (although cricket balls are rarely marked down) as bargains are there to be found.

I think Amazon had some Slazenger balls down at £2.50 per ball, which isn't too bad but I can't comment on quality or if they're still at that price.

On the subject of crap balls - you've got to be very careful as Mas says about buying cheap balls on ebay, others to avoid are the Davidson ones, the cheap slazenger branded ones and possibly the slightly more expensive Slazenger balls - the County & Crown variety which used to be okay from the point of view that they were the right size but would fall apart quite quickly, now seem to be as hard as bullets and slightly smaller than a good quality ball.

It also depends on what you want them for. If it's just to bowl with then you have a bit more leeway, especially in terms of the harder balls.

If you will be using them with/against a bat then you're better off spending more and getting something at the cheap end of decent (I'd say a ball that would retail for £8/9 new). May cost more up front but will save you and others forking out for broken bats or repairs.

louis l;338268 said:
i want some older balls to practise with prefereable ones you could still make swing were do you get them ?

try your local lawn bowls club or a nursing home, hahaha!!!:D

seriously, start keeping them from training when ya can get away with it, take them home and put vaseline (petroleum jelly) on one side and polish them up, i have done it for years and unless the ball is scuffed bad on both sides you can usually g et them pretty good.

Morgans is another ropey hard variety. On the cheap and okay front for bowling I'm currently using a Davidsons ball on all surfaces - concrete etc and now that it's beat sick and got a nice matt surface all over it I'm impressed with how it's holding out and I use it all the time. I'm waiting for it to disintegrate so that I can pull it apart and see how it's constructed.

Decathlon - if you've got one in your area sell their own brand balls alongside Gunn and Moore balls. The decathlon balls are 3 quid 50 pence and the G&M balls are about 8 quid, yet if you bounce the balls the cheapo Decathlon Balls have got a bit more bounce in them compared to the G&M one - which I take as being an indication of a slightly better ball? The other thing with the G&M balls is that they are smaller than the balls I play cricket with in my team. Again I see this slightly smaller ball issue an indication of a poorer quality ball.

crktluva - he's advocating nicking them from your club I think! I can't condone that, but I have seen people from one club nick balls from another - but they did have a sack full with 50 - 70 balls in. But again I reckon that's a bit naughty and it's just not cricket.

I'm with crktluva rob a ball everynow and again from nets if u get the oppurtunity ( obviouly nt the very gd balls that people use, the poorer balls that are going poor) then vaseline it up,,, or when season starts go looking in farmers fields/bushes/things around ground for the odd lost ball.

No they are the standard adult size,with minimal variation in feel. Also got a CA bat from them which is quite good. They gave me good customer service , I live in Malta. When i phoned them re the knocking in they were very helpful. Oh and got gloves and a wheelie bag and trousers. All top notch for me. But I admit i have no experience with other companies.

Cricket balls are a real pain, as said earlier can rarely find them cheaply and never seem to be on sale, our cricket club struggles financially mainly because of the huge cost of balls for the season (We have 7-8 senior teams plus 10 more Junior, Vets and Ladies teams, unsure if their costs are all in one or not)

Just whilst on cricket balls, I saw alot on ebay at the start of last season reasonably cheap and were also on sale at a local cricket place but was never sure of their quality, cant find em now, but dont know if anyone knows the ones they came in a yellow box? I know not much info but were quite alot around

I go through quite a few kooka balls each year, I always seem to lose them either at training or somewhere, shame as I could have quite a good collection of practice balls

On cheap ebay balls, I have a few balls lying around that looking at the Davidson ones mentioned earlier, are of the same hard crap stuff, think they were called Lords?

If you go to the cricket nets after teams training then you might be lucky and find a ball or two. Last season we usually found 1 or 2 when we went to the nets for a bit, especially good if there is some bushes and scrub around. Still hard to find decent used balls in Australia, must be a global used cricket ball shortage.

I played a game a few weeks back where one side of the pitch was bordered by a strip of rough grass, nettles and a shallow and dry ditch. The club had put big wooden railway sleepers along much of it but balls still went over it. In the game we played at least 6 more or less brand new decent quality balls went into the ditch/long grass - here's what I did the next day Wrist Spin Bowling: Monday

Back