West Indies and Slow left armers

jimmy33

West Indies and Slow left armers

As the title suggests, the Windies seem to have a lot of successful left arm spinners doing the rounds in domestic cricket. Theres Benn (who recently made his test debut, without much success it must be said), Jaggernauth and Miller. Whats with this surge in good West Indian spinners who take 40 odd wickets in 6 or 7 games? Is it the pitches? Or is it that a good spinner is due to come out of there after all these long years?

Re: West Indies and Slow left armers

Are you talking about domestic cricket? because most west indian spinners average more than 40 in international cricket.

Yeah, there seem to be a fair few Left arm orthodox spinners rising quite rapidly through the ranks in domestic cricket. That was why I was wondering, is it the pitches or that West Indians can't play spin or something else?

Sorry, looking back its not very clear.

It's a weird one and something I'm sure was discussed within the commentary section of a recent West Indies game.

I think the general consensus was that it was just one of those things, although they rarely pick the best one to play in the test side.

Personally, I can't see it being the pitches, so it may well be that some of the West Indians have a weakness against spin of that nature, allowing these kinds of players space in the team - but that is just guess work.

well if the spinners are really that good then they should be succeeding at the international level. i think it must be their weakness to pick spin bowling.

Back