Western Australian Cricket Association

blacklightning

Western Australian Cricket Association

Hey,

I couldn't seen any WACA thread up on this site so i thought i might start one myself. So from now on all things WACA go here. Until we get our own sub forum or something like that when the group grows.

Any news in the WACA community ? Any big name players transferring to any other clubs ?

Please indulge us,

Cheers

Black Lightning

Re: Western Australian Cricket Association

Hi welcome to the site.

The WACA have released their preliminary contracts for the 2008-2009 season. The list is below.

Cricket Australia

Michael Hussey
Adam Voges (vc)
Shaun Marsh

WACA Contracts

David Bandy
Nathan Coulter-Nile
Arron Crawford
Liam Davis
Paul Davis
Brett Dorey
Theo Doropolous
Ben Edmondson
Aaron Heal
Clint Heron
Matthew Johnston
Trent Kelly
Steve Magoffin
Marcus North (c)
Luke Pomersbach
Wes Robinson
Luke Ronchi

WACA Rookie Contracts

Nick Death
Michael Johnson
Josh Mangan
Mitch Marsh
Marcus Stoinis
Chris Thompson
Chris Wood

Out

Inness (Retired)
Langer (Retired)
Wates (Retired)
MacLauchlan (Omitted)
Gillies (Omitted)
Ervine (Omitted)
Hansberry (Omitted)
Molinari (Omitted)

In

Death (Wanneroo)
M. Marsh (Fremantle)
Stoinis (Scarborough)
Thompson (South Perth)
Crawford (Midland-Guildford-Rookie Upgrade)
P. Davis (Mt.Lawley)
L. Davis (Scarborough-Rookie Upgrade)

Still unknown about Brag Hogg, he hasn't made a decision on his retirement yet. He may be added to the list when the second round of offers are out on June 6th.

WACA Contracted Players 2008-09

I wouldn't be suprised if Hoggy doesn't play again for WA, it hasn't been a secret that himself and Moody just don't get a long, i don't see why he would prolong the pain and play another season under him. Would be great to see him play 1st grade cricket this year and put just one more year back into the game :)

blacklightning;218024 said:
I wouldn't be suprised if Hoggy doesn't play again for WA, it hasn't been a secret that himself and Moody just don't get a long, i don't see why he would prolong the pain and play another season under him. Would be great to see him play 1st grade cricket this year and put just one more year back into the game :)

I didn't know that he and Moody weren't the best of friends. Hogg's got a pretty big choice to make, play one more season or quit first-class cricket and help with the development of Aaron Heal.

If he goes back to district crickt, he will dominate at Willetton.

Ljp86;218025 said:
I didn't know that he and Moody weren't the best of friends. Hogg's got a pretty big choice to make, play one more season or quit first-class cricket and help with the development of Aaron Heal.

If he goes back to district crickt, he will dominate at Willetton.

Well there was a reason why a bloke who was dominating the world ODI scene couldn't get a game for his state in Pura Cup cricket. Honestly, I'm not sure how Moody got away with picking Beau Casson over Brad Hogg and all for what ? To see him to go to NSW.

Talking about Willetton, it will be intersting to see how Matthew Johnston goes this year, i heard his year was interrupted due to a broken jaw suffered whilst running in between the wickets ? (If anybody has got that footage or if there is a link for it on youtube please post here) Special things are promised from that kid and elevating him was a great move by the WACA.

blacklightning;218029 said:
Well there was a reason why a bloke who was dominating the world ODI scene couldn't get a game for his state in Pura Cup cricket. Honestly, I'm not sure how Moody got away with picking Beau Casson over Brad Hogg and all for what ? To see him to go to NSW. [/UOTE]

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of Casson getting a game over Hogg. Hogg should have been the number one spinner for both forms of the game. Casson is not much chop, I believe that Aaron Heal is a much better option long-term. He is already showing signs of development, his KKC Twenty20 Big Bash tournament was outstanding.

blacklightning said:
Talking about Willetton, it will be intersting to see how Matthew Johnston goes this year, i heard his year was interrupted due to a broken jaw suffered whilst running in between the wickets ? (If anybody has got that footage or if there is a link for it on youtube please post here) Special things are promised from that kid and elevating him was a great move by the WACA.

Yes, he got a broken jaw in a one-day late in the season. There was a stray throw from one of the opposition players and unluckily for Johnston it smashed him in the jaw.

Here's the youtube of the hit,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-WWwR289X8

Thanks for the link lpg86.

Funny how chanel 10 can get a players name wrong. His name is Matthew not Michael (happens to be a keeper in the team called Michael Johnson).

Nasty hit there.

Looking forward to seeing him desimate some attacks this summer.

What's happening with Nathan Coulter-Nile, was very young when he was first put on the WACA list 17/18 ?

Has he played many 2nd XI games since being upgraded ?

blacklightning;218060 said:
Thanks for the link lpg86.

Funny how chanel 10 can get a players name wrong. His name is Matthew not Michael (happens to be a keeper in the team called Michael Johnson).

Nasty hit there.

Looking forward to seeing him desimate some attacks this summer.

What's happening with Nathan Coulter-Nile, was very young when he was first put on the WACA list 17/18 ?

Has he played many 2nd XI games since being upgraded ?

Didn't play any Second XI games last season, before that he played two games in the 06/07 season and took three wickets at 57.33. In the 05/06 season, Coulter-Nile snared four wickets at 17.

Seems to have fallen a bit behind the pack, Hogg (if he plays) and Heal would be in front of him. Chris Hansberry played in front of him for the second XI last season but was dropped from the contract list so he's jumped in front of one player at least.

Coulter-Nile would need a big season in 08/09 at district level to put his name in front of the selectors.

But he is a fast bowler so i wouldn't think that Heal and Hogg would be in the same line as him.

What are the fast bowling stocks looking like this year ?

blacklightning;218068 said:
But he is a fast bowler so i wouldn't think that Heal and Hogg would be in the same line as him.

What are the fast bowling stocks looking like this year ?

:eek:

I thought Coulter-Nile was a spinner.

Edit: And you'd be right, bowls Right Medium Fast.

Dorey, Edmondson, Kelly and Magoffin would all be ahead of him. Our stocks are looking pretty good, Death is a major talent and has played really well for Wanneroo so far and there are a few others who are looking pretty good. There's a lot more local talent in the squad this year, which is a positive sign.

Well getting Inness from Victoria was never a good thing IMO.

Michael Johnson the wicket keeper from Scarborough ... does anyone know what he is up to this winter (english summer) i am led to believe for some reason he has duel residency and therefore qualifies to play in the UK as a local. Unsure of this could anyone tell me yay or nay ?

BLACKLIGHTNING

Brad Hogg has retired from first-class cricket.

blacklightning;218788 said:
Ok, do you know if he will play for Willetton this year ?

Not sure at this point. All I know is that he won't be playing for WA. The second round of WACA contracts come out on June 6 so we'll probably find out more then.

Sweet, i see that we are getting two Australian games this year. I don't think that this has ever happened before, well not in my lifetime. Great move :)

Back