What do you look for in a cricket brand?

Re: What do you look for in a cricket brand?

Please Go
000_0011-1.jpg
d let there be pictures of my bat this time

Woo! :laugh:

Nice bat, I know that the guy tends to grade them on playability as much as looks, so that should play nicely. I also like the stickers on them, god knows why as it's not the thing I'd normally go for but they do seem to suit the bat.

Did you go mail order or get it in person?

After reading the thread on this site about buying bats on the internet, I will whisper E-bay.

E-bay is not too bad as long as you know what you're doing. If the company is English based then you'll normally do ok, its when they are from India that you have to be wary.

I really like the look of your bat, I'm going to check them out I may buy one for myself.

No one wants an ugly bat and i certainly don't but for me it's got to be a high quality bat, one that's handcrafted and you know that the bat maker will put everything into making a 'beautiful' bat, this is why brands like M&H and Salix appeal to me, they are small brands compared to the rest of the market, but they are trusted by professionals and are only interested in Grade 1 & 2 bats. I don't think i will ever go back to Gunn & Moore or Slazenger, however many people that upsets, :( although i am visiting the Gray Nicholls factory in a few weeks... :rolleyes:

To be honest the bat I am currently using was inspired by the fact it is used by Ricky Ponting. But at the same time its and absolute beaut of a bat and fitted in with my price range. But please note I did go and try out a few bats but the deciding vote did come down to 'I wanna bat like Ricky Ponting so I will use the same bat'. Stupid I know. However once I get some good kit I tend to stick with them untill I have a bad experience. So it's Kookaburra Kahuna for now.

I do know a guy who went into a shop, got blind folded and then his brother handed him various bats to feel untill he whittled it down to just 2. He then picked his favourite feeling bat out of those, took his blind fold of saw the 2 bats were Puma and Grey Nichols (the GN being the one he liked the feel of) and ended up buying the Puma!! So go figure that one out!

On another note a guy in my team has got an bat used by an England player (I won't drop names) and it is an excellent bat but looks scruffy. He has already scored 900 runs this season only playing 1 20/20 game and 1 50 over game a week. He is a good batsman, but it's always nice to back up your ability with good equipment.

I'm in the process of doing my own brand at the moment, I think quality, price and also design of stickers are key.

There's some small companies who sell G1's at around £100, but don't sell many as they look terrible sticker wise. Unprofessional and amateurish. Name's also important, I'm always a fan of the latin/greek sounding names such as Salix. Think it gives the company again a classy identity.

Obviously 2 people aren't going to like the same thing, but make the quality and price good. And stickers professional looking and you should sell a few. Never going to compete with the sales of Slaz and Kook though as they can sponsor who they like and get into all the large retailers.

Most of the Cricket bats come from the same supplier of wood anyway in the UK, obviously the craftsmen who makes it into a bat has alot to do with it but you have to have a decent bit of willow first.

like the good old saying goes, "you cant polish a turd"

a bit like modifying slow cars to make them go fast. you may aswell just buy a fast car!

There's only 4 suppliers of Willow I know of, some companies e.g GN and Kippax do have their own plantations though. JS Wrights are the biggest, and most willow comes from there. As also said above a bat is made by the craftsman, give a poor batmaker who presses poorly the best piece of willow and you'll end up with a poor bat. Whereas give a terrible piece of willow to a good batmaker, you'll probably end up with a better bat or as good.

In my opinion the bat is made/lost in the pressing.

i'd have to agree,

also there is nothing better than watching your own bat being made in front of you!

My gear is a mixture of Slazenger, Kookaburra, Gray Nicholls and Puma..
I like my slazenger gear the best

Stumped;27145 said:
Most of the Cricket bats come from the same supplier of wood anyway in the UK, obviously the craftsmen who makes it into a bat has alot to do with it but you have to have a decent bit of willow first.

like the good old saying goes, "you cant polish a turd"

a bit like modifying slow cars to make them go fast. you may aswell just buy a fast car!

Can and just did.

Back