What Is Your Routine.

Neville Young

I am interested to hear what people's routines are when they go out to bat. All the successful players I have met have routines, whether they are batsmen or bowlers. What do you do from the time you pick up your bat to go out to the wicket?

Last edited:
Take guard, adjust box, look at the field, visualise defending the first ball, step into my stance, couple of taps of the bat, flex the knees, chin against the shoulder, try to make sure I'm not late down on the first one.

Superstitions are for old gypsy women.

routine is entirely dependant on each players technique and personality type.
but I to agree superstitions are counterintuitive.

I am seeking what you do before scoring the runs lower11.
My routine, pick up the bat in my left hand (I’m right handed). Walk out on the ground practice back lift, practice drives, front and back foot and cross bat shots, using only my left hand, look up at the sky to adjust my eyes to the light level. Quick check with the batsman coming off to see if he has any useful information. Quick check with the other batsman for more information. Take centre, ask the ump how many balls to come, survey the field from fine man to fine leg and back again. Take up stance, watch the bowler running in and start telling myself watch the ball come out of his hand. Focus on the ball coming out of his hand.
SLA makes a really good point in his description. I probably adjust my box, but am totally unaware that I do it, but believe 100%, I do at some stage.
I reckon it's something everyone does before they face a ball, even if it is subconsciously!

i found this really good thing on a website

Pre- Delivery Thoughts/Self-Talk

1. Watch the ball

2. C'mon

3. Play Straight

4. Wait for the ball, don't lunge

5. Let the ball come

6. Relax and focus

7. Stand tall

8. Keep your head still

9. Line it up

10.This ball is not getting me out

Concentration cues

Verbal: Focus, switch on

Visual: Focus on a specific spot on the ground, stare at a space and let your mind clear

Physical: Wipe your hand on your shirt Relaxed and deep breathing Adjust your box or gloves Re-mark your guard Do some 'gardening' Go for a walk between deliveries Twiddle your bat Hum or whistle a tune

Back