What Would You Bowl?

I'm curious as to what people bowl in certain situations:
#1. You've just been hit for two sixes and a four during your 1st over, your captain is giving you a disapproving look. You know he's going to take you off unless you produce some magic. what do you bowl with your next three balls?
#2. You're on a hat-trick. The captain has brought in the field, with several men around the bat. What do you bowl?

Leggies and offies welcome!

#1, try to pitch it up on middle and hit off
#2, try to pitch it up on middle and hit off

in both cases, the worst thing you can do is try and bowl a magic ball. Just keep it simple. In #1 you just need to find a line and length and cut off the boundaries, trying to force the issue will ruin your over completely. In #2 with a new batsman at the crease, just bowl your best delivery which will be your stock ball and make sure you bowl it full and straight

#1. You've just been hit for two sixes and a four during your 1st over, your captain is giving you a disapproving look. You know he's going to take you off unless you produce some magic. what do you bowl with your next three balls?
#2. You're on a hat-trick. The captain has brought in the field, with several men around the bat. What do you bowl?

you can't answer question 1 without knowing where the three boundaries were hit and off what deliveries.
If the three were - 1 short pitched followed by 2 full tosses, or 2 long hops and 1 full toss,
or maybe you came across a batsman on 100* & all three were good length balls that the batsman stepped out and drove inside out over cover, or maybe he slog swept all three- see the answer varies.
In one case you may want to bowl flatter (stepping out), in one case, slower and make the batsman wait (slog sweep). if you bowled 1 long hop and two full tosses, just try to forget about them and bowl your good length.

But, whatever happens, spin it and spin it hard. Put enough revs on it and the batsman might think he's getting another full toss, but might get bowled, or he thinks it is a long hop, but the bounce gets a top edge and the captain is content that his "gamble paid off" so you might get another over. Otherwise, if you freeze up and roll it, no way you are getting a second over if I am the captain.

2) On a hatrick, make the batsman play- Most spinners prefer to go for a top spinner at times like these. Flipper won't work at all because batsman isn't looking to play a shot. A slow loopy legbreak on leg stump might just work, because the batsmen is tense already, but a slower top spinner on middle is even more dangerous.

I'm not a spinner, but if I was his skipper I would encourage him to throw it up and give it a rip with #1. That batsman will be feeling like he has you in his pocket and you can exploit over confidence.

you can't answer question 1 without knowing where the three boundaries were hit and off what deliveries.
If the three were - 1 short pitched followed by 2 full tosses, or 2 long hops and 1 full toss,
or maybe you came across a batsman on 100* & all three were good length balls that the batsman stepped out and drove inside out over cover, or maybe he slog swept all three- see the answer varies.
In one case you may want to bowl flatter (stepping out), in one case, slower and make the batsman wait (slog sweep). if you bowled 1 long hop and two full tosses, just try to forget about them and bowl your good length.

But, whatever happens, spin it and spin it hard. Put enough revs on it and the batsman might think he's getting another full toss, but might get bowled, or he thinks it is a long hop, but the bounce gets a top edge and the captain is content that his "gamble paid off" so you might get another over. Otherwise, if you freeze up and roll it, no way you are getting a second over if I am the captain.

2) On a hatrick, make the batsman play- Most spinners prefer to go for a top spinner at times like these. Flipper won't work at all because batsman isn't looking to play a shot. A slow loopy legbreak on leg stump might just work, because the batsmen is tense already, but a slower top spinner on middle is even more dangerous.

I'm with Shrek on this, it's not that simple. What have you got in your armoury and are you one of those bowlers like me, who usually takes a couple of overs to get settled? There are so many variables to take into account.

It would depend a great deal on what I had done prior to that to cause those situations and also what the batsman was doing/what I thought they were going to do.

#1 If I had been bowling my stock leg break in a decent area but was still getting slogged I'd bowl one or two more stock leggies (hopefully around leg/middle stump turning to off or past off to catch an edge) and then I'd try to throw in an off-spinning flipper or thumb ball (leg break grip flicked with the thumb under the ball) placed on off stump turning to leg. This is in an idea world, if I was feeling good with my line that day. Or just stick with leg breaks trying to fish around for some different lengths to see what works

#2 Leg break, reasonably full on leg/middle stump.

#1 you're essentially talking about a 3 card trick so one of your deliveries will have to be a hard spun stock/primary delivery and the other 2 depend on the batsman

#2 got to threaten the stumps and make the batsman play; top spinner on a good pitch and a googly on a pitch that's keeping low

#1 - A googly / slider first ball. Followed by another. And then finally, the most dipping, drifting, ripping, fizzing, kicking, turning, spitting, biting, zipping leg break that I have ever bowled in my life! But I would prefer if I was never hit for a few sixes / fours in the first place:confused: guess there are times when the batsmen dominate:(
#2 - It depends, if there was a left handed batsman I would bowl a top spinning leg break. ( I'm a chinanaman ) If there was a righty, probably a backspinning leggy that skids on. (the batsmen that got out to me previously would have told him that I turn the ball a mile so he is expecting a big turner) It would have to be very straight to get a wicket though.

Match stress brainwashes you sometimes, so I think most of us would bowl something differently, but these balls are just what I would want to bowl in these situations. ( when I'm in my own mind and not insane with stress and pressure )

1 - 3 ripping leg breaks , with tremendous revs and a enormous amount of drift and turn . 2 - definitely the top spinner !

Back