Where do you take Guard?

madbunny

Where do you take Guard?

Hey,

Just wondering where most people take guard when facing pace bowlers? Are you on the crease, back foot on the crease, half a yard out of the crease? What influences your decision where to take guard?

Re: Where do you take Guard?

Is there a reason for standing one foot either side of the crease, or is that just the normal stance?

I have a problem with the good length delivery that hits top of off stump, so i stand a half a yard out of my crease to combat it. Now if someone bowls that length to me it will go over the stumps. Is that just comabtting a batting flaw with a quick fix? And could that be the reason i find bowlers so quick?

No real reason, just what I'm used to. I may take guard slightly out of my crease or sometimes more, all depends on the pitch and the bowler.

As for you, standing closer to the bowler will certainly make him seem quicker as the ball has less distance to travel. Try going a bit closer to the crease and see how it feels.

Our university 1st team captain has been opening our batting for a couple of seasons now and I've noticed he stands with both feet just outside his crease to the new ball bowlers. I'm under the impression it's to play the ball before it has an opportunity to swing more, as it wont have travelled quite as far after pitching when he plays it from out of his crease. It can mess with the bowlers lengths too, but it's personal preference, whatever feels most comfortable.

I stand further out of my crease against spinners, so if they bowl a tiny bit back of what appears a good length I can go on the back foot and play them comfortably, or it's easier to reach the pitch of the ball. Regarding pace though -I'd say the more practice with the bowling machine the better :D

I think you may well be correcting a flaw with a quick fix, although what you're doing makes sense. The biggest issue is that not all pitches play the same, so you may still end up losing off stump, if the pitch is lower than average.

Excellent points there. You're right mas about the pitch, maybe being a tailender all this time, i've never really adjusted anything according to bounce and such. I may try batting a little closer to the stumps, see if it helps my reaction speed a little. bitsandpieces, interesting point about the swing bowling, never really had to face it so i will need to be aware of that

Some great points there bitsandpieces -your captain has a decent idea regarding swing and disrupting lengths.

i take gaurd on middle to start with.. then on leg once my feet start moving well and i play more attacking strokes.... stand bout a foot outside for pace and bout 1/2 a foot in 4 spin depending on how well they spin the ball...

Middle and Leg for me!

and to fast bowlers (depending how quick they are) i'm always out my crease, the fast they are the further out i go!

few reasons:

Firstly it stops the ball swinging too much

Secondly it disrupts the bowlers length

i love playing shots as they pitch or on the full! the ball cant move away from you off the seam if you hit it on length!

it also makes the wicket keeper think more! if i'm keeping and see a batsman outside his crease i'm throwing the ball at the stumps every delivery untill hes back in his crease! i had 3 wickets last season from doing that so i know what its like!

Stumped said:
Middle and Leg for me!

and to fast bowlers (depending how quick they are) i'm always out my crease, the fast they are the further out i go!

few reasons:

Firstly it stops the ball swinging too much

Secondly it disrupts the bowlers length

i love playing shots as they pitch or on the full! the ball cant move away from you off the seam if you hit it on length!

it also makes the wicket keeper think more! if i'm keeping and see a batsman outside his crease i'm throwing the ball at the stumps every delivery untill hes back in his crease! i had 3 wickets last season from doing that so i know what its like!

I don't find standing out of my crease has increased the number of half volleys i've received, the bowler simply bowls the length according to where i stand

i guess it depends on the bowler! just shows they are not watching where you are standing! it means that you have disrupted them enough for them to bowl at you rather than the wickets!

an unexperienced bowler will bowl half volleys to a batsmen standing out of his crease as he may not look at a spot on the pitch etc. more likely to just let it go where he normally does...

Stumped and Aussie Boy I totally agree with both of you (though my batting technique isn't quite good enough for me to have a leg-stump guard yet :p)

I know this is a batting thread, but looking at it from the opposite angle, what do you NOT want the bowler to do when you're batting outside your crease? I'm a part-time bowler so would find this handy to know.. :p

im a 1st drop batsmen and a 1st change bowler.... from a batting point of view... i dnt think at any time in your innings u enjoy facing yorkers.... so a good sharp yorker at the toes of the batsmen will NEVER go wrong...

if the batsmen is a little less experienced i.e. lower order and not confident... a good ploy which i have told a few of my m8s about and they use... is to bring keeper up and bowl outside off..... the batsmen will b in 2 minds as he is worried about being stumped and will often throw his bat out at the ball in an attempted defence...( sounds stupid but works)

all my opinion m8, hope it helps :)

Mate that off-side/keeper up trick is sneaky!! I love it ;) I guess mixing up my pace when doing that may be handy too..

I'm working on my yorkers in nets atm, I can bowl a relatively accurate yorker when I drop my pace, but at full tilt i sometimes tend to wang it down the leg-side ::)

Cheers for the tips, I'm gonna get try that off-side thing out in our next warm-up game, see it I can get one over on our 1st team captain :laugh:

lol... the slower ball was wat it originally started out 4.. then i changed it 2 outside off... make sure u let your keeper kno but

Funny enough, the yorker never troubles me and I bat down the order. The ball which troubles me the most is the ball just short of a length outside off. I keep prodding at it!!

I think what bothers me the most is, I stand out of my crease and the ball i keep getting from the quickies is the ball that rises to my chest. It's too quick to play a hook/pull to, and i don't want to pre-meditate my stroke.

The reason i bat so far out of my crease is to combat the ball pitched to hit the top of off stump. I really need to get better at judging length.

Back