WHO/WHAT AM I

What did she become famous for?
What topics did she focus on?
Did she have an agenda?
Will give it away if I reveal the precise incidents, because they had to have been unique. But two clues; H G Wells and the incarceration of a certain type of individual.
Female mostly
Basicly to prove that women can do most things that men do.

Last edited:
Will give it away if I reveal the precise incidents, because they had to have been unique. But two clues; H G Wells and the incarceration of a certain type of individual.
Female mostly
Basicly to prove that women can do most things that men do.
Amber Reeves?

Jump on the HG Wells clue. He wrote books. The narrative of this one is a fantastic adventure. Tune into the other clue. Who are incarcerated other than criminals.

Last edited:
Not having much response.
The book is Around the World in 80 Days and the people locked away are the mentally ill. Have allbut given it away.

I nearly did it the other way. Fantastic adventure: First Men in the Moon. Who got incarcerated for their safety in those days? Lunatics.
Doesn't quite work unless there were astronauts in 1901, though.

Anyway she wasn't a Nervous Nellie.

Anyway she wasn't a Nervous Nellie.
Smartie. Nellie Bly certainly was not nervous in anything she attempted. Such as transversing the world in 72 days using ships, boats even horses, just to prove that she could do it quicker than a man, even a fictional one, Phileas Fogg from the H D Wells classic book, Around the World in 80 Days.

After she feigned insanity in order to be committed to a New York lunatic asylum to get proof for her publication of the deplorable conditions faced by the female inmates, some of which had been committed wrongly by greedy and skirt chasing husbands, she bravely took on the asylum authorities to help improve those conditions. For her trouble she was placed in solitary confinement on meager rations but survived and was later able to convince one of the doctors to inform the police after which an investigation was conducted. A year later the asylum was closed with the sane women released. Nellie Bly was an exceptional woman...

Last edited:
Also clicking on the wrong thing to see if it still works. Oops. Yes Wittgenstein makes you think, and he doesn't! Nonsense, of course.
Back!
I once read a little about Wittgenstein and really liked his thoughts about language.

Essentially via google:
Language essentially mirrored reality. However, Wittgenstein believed that language shared the logical form of reality, rather than reality itself. A proposition is therefore a logical picture of reality, as it expresses an image, not reality itself. The function of thought is therefore to allow us to picture things.

Our "present reality" I add, which is changing, evolving, dynamic and even diminishing constantly. "its so fun"😖

via Google again:
Ludwig Wittgenstein was an Austrian philosopher who worked primarily in "logic", the "philosophy of mathematics", the "philosophy of mind", and the "philosophy of language".

Back!
I once read a little about Wittgenstein and really liked his thoughts about language.

Essentially via google:
Language essentially mirrored reality. However, Wittgenstein believed that language shared the logical form of reality, rather than reality itself. A proposition is therefore a logical picture of reality, as it expresses an image, not reality itself. The function of thought is therefore to allow us to picture things.

Our "present reality" I add, which is changing, evolving, dynamic and even diminishing constantly. "its so fun"😖

via Google again:
Ludwig Wittgenstein was an Austrian philosopher who worked primarily in "logic", the "philosophy of mathematics", the "philosophy of mind", and the "philosophy of language".
I mentioned him since I was being reminded of his observation, explained while dealing with the philosophy of language, that the meaning of words and symbols is basically determined by how they are used in a given context.

I mentioned him since I was being reminded of his observation, explained while dealing with the philosophy of language, that the meaning of words and symbols is basically determined by how they are used in a given context.
Totally agree Thomas.
By context, the passage of time affects that too in terms of the meaning of words. Some words once thought to be horrible are now almost common parlance.
For example, the word 'bagger'(wrong vowel) was once thought a vile word but now we see in Australia it is even used in tv comercials. "Well bagger me" is a common expression of astonishment.
I usually reply "No thanks."
"Go to buggery" is not nice, whereas
"I'm going to bagger off" is a farewell with tones from friendly to a bit angry.

Not to discount other contextual factors like facial expressions. I still wear a mask but take it off when I'm dealing with someone in public.

By context, the passage of time affects that too in terms of the meaning of words. Some words once thought to be horrible are now almost common parlance.
Absolutely. You can see the same here. Originally used by youngsters to provoke the older generations, they are more commonly used today. Interesting that you say "almost", though, since there's a number of older people who will not bring themselves to use them including myself. ;)

was he an explorer
where did he do whatever he did.
was it personally life changing
did it impact the world in any way.

Last edited:
Opps, sorry. I've been missing in action. Apologies.
What's his nationality and when did he live?
What makes you think of him? Why is he remembered?
Greek.
5th and 4th centuries bc.
He was a brilliant but cantankerous person.
He is remembered for the logic he brought to history.

Back