Who's likely to be in the Ashes 2010/11 in Australia

Re: Who's likely to be in the Ashes 2010/11 in Australia

It would be a dream come true if Jones came back in, he was a really key part of he 05 series, but i just dont know if his body will hold up.

Ive seen some people here saying that anderson and onions arent too hot if its not swinging, and i do agree to a certain extent, but i would say there is something to be said about their ability to swing the ball, from as early as 15 overs or so in, seeing their performance in SA.

I suppose you could also look at Sidey for a bit of aggression and variation, being a left armer, getting a bit of rough for Swann to exploit

Been impressed with Anderson of late. Things weren't going right for him and he went away and now can trouble the best batsman in the world.

Would like to see an attack of Anderson, Broad, Sidebottom and Swann taking on the attack with Onions. Don't know enough about Onions but haven't really seen him lighting up the games at International level.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;375456 said:
HAHAH

Broad.

To think the poms are going to play him at seven, the guy was about to get dropped after the 4th test and now all of a sudden is the messiah with the ball in hand.

THe guy will get spanked to every corner of South Africa in the test series, i willing to bet all the XXXX's I can drink that between them Broad and Anderson don't take more then 15 wickets in 4 test matchs in South Africa.

The two "mastiffs", as some tea drinking journo called them a few months back.

Outside of England you'd struggle to find two bigger pie chuckers opening the bowling.

Unlucky.

Well they averaged 33 and 34 with the ball, away from home those numbers from your two strike bowlers won't win you many test matchs nor series.

Looks the ICC are opening the way for Darryl Harper to return and help Australia win the Ashes

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;384836 said:
Well they averaged 33 and 34 with the ball, away from home those numbers from your two strike bowlers won't win you many test matchs nor series.

They still took more wickets than you said they would, and they won a few tests IIRC.

They won one test match, and even then, their blitz in the 2nd innings was performed under favourable conditions to bowl in.

England were amazingly lucky not to lose the series 3-1, that is not harsh, it is fair and based on merit. England were comprehensively outplayed in 3 test matchs.

James Anderson and Broad were OK in patchs, but under bright sun and on flat pitches they looked pedestrian.

Broad will be a good player in time, but James Anderson has a shocking away record and one questions whether he really should be classed as the strike bowler in the side.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;384953 said:
They won one test match, and even then, their blitz in the 2nd innings was performed under favourable conditions to bowl in.

England were amazingly lucky not to lose the series 3-1, that is not harsh, it is fair and based on merit. England were comprehensively outplayed in 3 test matchs.

James Anderson and Broad were OK in patchs, but under bright sun and on flat pitches they looked pedestrian.

Broad will be a good player in time, but James Anderson has a shocking away record and one questions whether he really should be classed as the strike bowler in the side.

Your hatred of England caused you to make a rash call that they will not take 15 wickets between them for the series, Anderson did it by himself. Sure they looked pedestrian, but I just pointed out how ridiculous it was saying they won't take 15 wickets between them.

eddiesmith;384837 said:
Looks the ICC are opening the way for Darryl Harper to return and help Australia win the Ashes

neutral refs?

im really worried about this. in turn, the poms may trot out the old hag...the queen...but then, lizards DO like the sun......:rolleyes:

breeno;384954 said:
Your hatred of England caused you to make a rash call that they will not take 15 wickets between them for the series, Anderson did it by himself. Sure they looked pedestrian, but I just pointed out how ridiculous it was saying they won't take 15 wickets between them.

Hatred is a bit strong, sure, maybe 15 wickets was a bit over the top but I think at the end of the day, if you look at the tour and judge those two bowlers you'd give them a pass mark, nothing more.

Broad didn't enhance his reputation with the ball, apart from an incisive spell at Durban he struggled with form and rhythm. Also, he is developing a reputation as a spoilt brat with his carry on on the field and off it suggesting an arrogrance that wasn't noticable when I first saw him bowl against SA in the English summer of 2008.

Swann was very impressive, and IMO is England's best or go to bowler for Strauss. He bowls with good flight and loop however SA got after him in the final test with good success.

Collingwood enhanced his reputation, while Cook and Bell bought their form lines into neutral territory.

With regards to the Ashes it would appear that this team and configuration will be playing come November.

On this evidence, and looking at past results, I feel Australia should be quietly confident about the Ashes.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385026 said:
Broad didn't enhance his reputation with the ball, apart from an incisive spell at Durban he struggled with form and rhythm. Also, he is developing a reputation as a spoilt brat with his carry on on the field and off it suggesting an arrogrance that wasn't noticable when I first saw him bowl against SA in the English summer of 2008.

Sounds a lot like Ponting. At least he's in good company.

Englands 2 best batsmen had shocking series and yet they drew with the 2nd best team in the world, not bad at all, Pietersen and Strauss fire and the Aussies will be worried

Yet you look at the Aussie batting lineup and there is no fear in there at all with their 2 best batsmen well past their used by date and struggling for runs most of the time

Then there is the bowling, Hauritz? Hahaha, so good he gets dropped when the series is on the line, maybe they will bring back Lee and Clark for one final flogging

a for effort;385033 said:
Sounds a lot like Ponting. At least he's in good company.

You honestly believe that do you?

Broad's behaviour was borderline in SA, which was a noticeable difference from his behaviour in 2008 when he started.

What's changed?

Hussain, who wasn't exactly an angel on the field himself, said Broad needs to pull his head in.

eddiesmith;385035 said:
Englands 2 best batsmen had shocking series and yet they drew with the 2nd best team in the world, not bad at all, Pietersen and Strauss fire and the Aussies will be worried

Yet you look at the Aussie batting lineup and there is no fear in there at all with their 2 best batsmen well past their used by date and struggling for runs most of the time

Then there is the bowling, Hauritz? Hahaha, so good he gets dropped when the series is on the line, maybe they will bring back Lee and Clark for one final flogging

You honestly think that England's performane warranted a 1-1 draw, it was more luck then skill?

KP is in all sorts technically, Strauss once again struggled with bounce in the pitch, Bell and Cook both performed well - but at this point their performances change series by series. Trott is still a relative unknown. Collingwood was very good but hasn't really done much against Australia.

England's problem is their bowling. I have no doubt about that.

4 bowlers is a big risk without a standout quick, especially when you consider Australia will be engaging England with 5 bowlers.

To be honest, you could quite easily argue that Pakistan's attack at Hobart is more accomplished then England's.

Kaneria is a better spinner then Swann, Asif would easily pip any seamer in Englands team.

Anaylse that Eddie.

Kaneria was absolute rubbish this series and most people who watched him wonder where the hell his reputation came from

The Pakistan pace attack is better suited to T20 cricket and they dont have the ability to tear a side apart in test matches

Yes Australia will be using 5 bowlers, thats because their spinner is rubbish, a good spinner is the key to a 4 bowler attack and Australia dont have one. South Africa also used 5 bowlers due to a lack of a decent spinner

KP failed because he wasnt match fit after missing 6 months and having previously struggled for about 6 months beforehand whilst carrying the injury, scoring some easy runs against Bangladesh should get his confidence back before another easy series against Pakistan

Australia hardly played brilliantly this summer so its hard to see where all the confidence comes from, England may have stolen a drawn series against South Africa, but it was against good opposition, if Australia was playing any other nations with the exception of the Kiwis, they probably would have lost

Will be interesting to compare the 2 sides after they both play Pakistan in the same conditions because the Aussies cant play in England yet playing such shit opposition it will be Pontings only chance to have a series win on English soil

Come off it Eddie, Kaneria has a reputation backed up by 200+ wickets. He was just another spinner, in a whole line of spinners, who was belted under Australian conditions.

The confidence comes from the fact that there are serious questions about England's attack under Australian conditions.

Anderson's last sortie in Australia saw him collect 5 wickets @ 80.

A lot better spinners then Swann have come here and been belted, as mentioned previously.

Only Steyn from SA's bowling would get in Australia's bowling lineup.

Fair assessment in my opinion.

Have England made a decision on the 4 bowlers now?

Your thoughts.

I reckon Kallis would walk into the Australian side without much trouble ;)

Harris would be an improvement on Hauritz, Morkel looks the goods

But the big advantage they have is their far superior batting lineup to Australia which allows their bowlers more freedom as the opposition is always under pressure

So you probably have a point, most of their bowlers would struggle with the Aussie batsmen in their side

No suprise someone who doesnt think Kallis could get a game for Australia would concede defeat :)

eddiesmith;385061 said:
No suprise someone who doesnt think Kallis could get a game for Australia would concede defeat :)

I think Smith and AB would also have no problem getting in.

Back