Why do so many people hate/dislike Ricky Ponting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do so many people hate/dislike Ricky Ponting?

I've never known a cricketer, who has been very successful, who is so disliked; to be honest, I can't understand why?

I have heard people say the following about him:

"Why does he spit in his hands, gross" -

"Have a shave"

"He bites his nails"

Would be really interested in the thoughts of people who don't support Australia?

Is it just because his too good?

Re: Why do so many people hate/dislike Ricky Ponting?

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;396856 said:
I've never known a cricketer, who has been very successful, who is so disliked; to be honest, I can't understand why?

I have heard people say the following about him:

"Why does he spit in his hands, gross" -

"Have a shave"

"He bites his nails"

Would be really interested in the thoughts of people who don't support Australia?

Is it just because his too good?

We all know you're fascinated with Ricky Poontang. So summing up, I cannot answer your question.

EDIT: A4e knows.

Nah it's because he's too good. One post and you've hit the nail on the head already.

everyone expects a hundred an inns and if he doesn't then he gets criticised, and if he does he gets criticised for his captaincy or because he didn't score it the right way. can't win poor fellow. bit different to the next best cricketer who received all the praise in the world and was even bought out of retirement by the prime minister.

Incidentally isn't this an australian thread?

No, I actually think it would be interesting to see a more international view on this.

Look at Warne. He was, in general, respected quite heavily by all, no matter the country of origin. The English were terrified of him, but that didn't mean they didn't like him.

Yet he was one of the most controversial cricketers around.

Ponting is quite the opposite. Worked very heavily to move from that pub brawling look to now a very respectable man. He is very close in legendary status to Warne, one would think, in respect to the dominance he has had. He is arguably easily in the top 10 batsman ever.

Why do other teams insult him at the drop of a hat? Why do Australians insult him as well?

Think only those players not of Australian following can really answer it.

Within the inner sanctum of the Aust team he is incredibly well respected and listened to as captain. Doesn't matter what other pricks from other countries or in the media say.

Ponting is great. Great batsman. Great captain (who is improving as he goes still). Some of his declarations lately have been spot on, and great for test match cricket.

When have you ever heard him badmouth someone or say something stupid or out of line? Never.

Within the inner sanctum of the Aust team he is incredibly well respected and listened to as captain.

No doubt about that.

The only time when I ever caught wind of the possibility that not everyone was behind the Punter, was when Michael Clarke was interviewed after that day at the MCG when Dumminy got a 100. Someone asked Clarke why Katich hadn't bowled (Clarke was Vice Captain), and Clarke said something like "I'm not sure, you'll have to ask the captain"

At the time I raised eyebrows at that remark, especially with the tone it was delivered; it was also mentioned in several newspaper articles. I thought it was disrespectful to Ricky Ponting to be honest, especially for his Vice Captain to say that. Who knows?, maybe thats why Katich had Clarke by the throat a few days later.

The fact still remains, many people dislike Ponting, even Australians.

It's hard to know whether the Australians that dislike him are just looking for someone to blame because Australia has lost (I prefer blaming umpirs or curators :D).

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;397008 said:
Nice to see a mod adding to the quality of the conversation.

Maybe Afridi should change his name to "Iuz Matiff"

Maybe you should change your name to 'iheartrickypontingandpeterroebuckandanyonewhodisagressisanidiotwhohasnoideaaboutcricket'

As for the Clarke - Katich bowling incident, Clarke obviously didn't know why he didn't bowl, so instead of speculating on the matter (and making Ponting and himself fools) he told the media to ask the captain as he was in charge.

Believe it or not, the captain makes the decisions on the field not the vice-captain.

Surely someone of your faultless cricketing knowledge already knew that's how the game worked?

It is commonly known as " the tall poppy sydrone".
For other countries it is out and out envy.

cold case;397068 said:
It is commonly known as " the tall poppy sydrone".
For other countries it is out and out envy.

Tall Poppy Syndrome just about covers it i suppose.

Why is he different to Warne as an example?

Bit of an exaggeration there. Just because you have a massive man-crush on Ponting doesn't mean that everyone who doesn't share that hates him. In general I think he's probably just mildly disliked by a lot of people, or they're fairly neutral about him.

There's a lot of little stuff that counts against Ponting. He was an arrogant kid and something of a thuggish bogan when he was younger, and although he's grown out of it many people won't forget it. He's also a much worse captain than his three immediate predecessors (not entirely his fault, since they were three of the best we've had) with a lot of tactics that people don't like (painfully slow over rates, conservative declarations, etc). His body language on the field, in conjunction with some of his post-match and off-the-field comments do give the impression that he can be a bit sooky when things don't go his way. To top it off you have a number of controversial incidents even in his later career that don't really put him in the best light. Aside from the aformentioned Gary Pratt incident you also have stuff like the Sydney Test against India a couple of years ago... all pretty unedifying and doesn't show him in the best light.

He's just not a very likeable personality, that's all. I don't especially dislike him, but he'd certainly be a long way down the list if someone asked me to name the cricketers I admire the most.

Don't forget that he's the leader of what was up until a few years ago one of the most unlikeable teams in world sport. Hayden, McGrath and Warne, magnificent players though they were, certainly didn't win the Australian cricket team any popularity points, and Ponting was the face of that era of arrogance of poor sportsmanship.

Caesar;397102 said:
Bit of an exaggeration there. Just because you have a massive man-crush on Ponting doesn't mean that everyone who doesn't share that hates him. In general I think he's probably just mildly disliked by a lot of people, or they're fairly neutral about him.

There's a lot of little stuff that counts against Ponting. He was an arrogant kid and something of a thuggish bogan when he was younger, and although he's grown out of it many people won't forget it. He's also a much worse captain than his three immediate predecessors (not entirely his fault, since they were three of the best we've had) with a lot of tactics that people don't like (painfully slow over rates, conservative declarations, etc). His body language on the field, in conjunction with some of his post-match and off-the-field comments do give the impression that he can be a bit sooky when things don't go his way. To top it off you have a number of controversial incidents even in his later career that don't really put him in the best light. Aside from the aformentioned Gary Pratt incident you also have stuff like the Sydney Test against India a couple of years ago... all pretty unedifying and doesn't show him in the best light.

He's just not a very likeable personality, that's all. I don't especially dislike him, but he'd certainly be a long way down the list if someone asked me to name the cricketers I admire the most.

He was an arrogant kid and something of a thuggish bogan when he was younger, and although he's grown out of it many people won't forget it.

Come on, Warne is still a bogan and he is adored by the masses.

He's also a much worse captain than his three immediate predecessors (not entirely his fault, since they were three of the best we've had) with a lot of tactics that people don't like (painfully slow over rates, conservative declarations, etc). His body language on the field, in conjunction with some of his post-match and off-the-field comments do give the impression that he can be a bit sooky when things don't go his way.

Ponting is a better captain than Waugh, I have no doubt about that. I remember how Waugh went whenever McGrath or Warne wasn't in the team. Think back to the Indians racking up 700 against us at the SCG. Waugh was over-rated greatly as captain. Taylor was elite, although he should have been dropped earlier when he had that massive loss of form.

I have never really understood this body language caper, all the captains get a bit narky when things don't go their way. I'd actually be disappointed if they weren't showing a bit of emotion. It still doesn't explain the hatred towards Ponting.

That crap about the Sydney test makes my blood boil.

I remember playing India in 2001 and having Indian umpires fire out our batsmen left, right and centre. I remember Warne being given out caught at short leg when he smashed the ball into the ground; I remember Gilchrist being given out LBW after the ball pitched a foot outside leg and after he smashed it into his pad; this all happened in the course of Singh's hat-trick.

That series is what bought about the introduction of neutral umpires, other people may sail around the issue but I won't, for years their was the unsaid thought that Indian and Pakistani umpires were biased towards the home team, it was no coincidence that we finally won in 2004 under neutral umpires.

When teams are pushing for a victory there will always be lots of appeals; people need to toughen up, winning is better than losing.

a for effort;397103 said:
Don't forget that he's the leader of what was up until a few years ago one of the most unlikeable teams in world sport. Hayden, McGrath and Warne, magnificent players though they were, certainly didn't win the Australian cricket team any popularity points, and Ponting was the face of that era of arrogance of poor sportsmanship.

The most unlikeable team in world sport?

What hyperbole.

Maybe we should all adore Afridi, and his pitch dancing, ball biting habits. :D:D:D

Don't speak this crap, and that's what it is, about Ponting and the Australian team being poor sports, when you have an avatar of Afridi.

Lets dance down the wicket, pivet on a length; here, sink your fangs into the ball; smash a guy in the crowd with your bat.

Oh the irony.

I guess it says a lot that Afridi has blatantly cheated several times on the field over the years and yet is still far more popular all over the world than Ponting will ever be.

Not at all, rather it says a lot about how people think.

Afridi has played for Pakistan; a team that has had very little success.

Afridi is incapable of anything but slogging; most people's memory doesn't extend past a T20 match.

Ponting has scored bulk runs, at one stage looking like he'd overtake Tendulkar's centurty tally, this stirred the Indians up.

Ponting has played in the most 'winning' test matchs in history.

This idea that people don't like Ponting because he is a bad sport is crap; they don't like him because he is too damn good.

Cop that.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;397114 said:
they don't like him because he is too damn good.
Why start this thread if you aren't interested in actually discussing the matter? People are telling you why they don't like him and you're correcting them. :confused: Seems like you were just looking for another excuse to talk about how you think Ponting is teh awesumz.

Players like Warne, Afridi, etc. are extremely personable and as a result people are more inclined to give them latitude for their indiscretions. Ponting is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back