Why do so many people hate/dislike Ricky Ponting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Why do so many people hate/dislike Ricky Ponting?

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;397114 said:
This idea that people don't like Ponting because he is a bad sport is crap; they don't like him because he is too damn good.

Cop that.

Yeah you got me. The reason people dislike guys like Ponting, Tendulkar and Lara is because they're too good.

Oh wait, people only dislike one of those guys.

Great comeback mate.

Tendulkar and Lara, for the majority of their careers, played in sides that couldn't get a win away from home, and struggled to get a win at home.

LtD, stick to the topic. I'm about one post away from locking this thread.

Even the Australians on this board are getting sick of your constant love-letters to Ponting and Watson. I'm rapidly losing patience with your schtick myself.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;397109 said:
Don't speak this crap, and that's what it is, about Ponting and the Australian team being poor sports, when you have an avatar of Afridi.

Caesar;397116 said:
Players like Warne, Afridi, etc. are extremely personable and as a result people are more inclined to give them latitude for their indiscretions. Ponting is not.

Caesar;397122 said:
Even the Australians on this board are getting sick of your constant love-letters to Ponting and Watson. I'm rapidly losing patience with your schtick myself.

I don't have an avatar of Afridi, so I will say it (unless you can find a reason to hate them): Ponting is very much disliked because he and the Australians are perceived as a team of bad sports. I personally don't think they are, they do push the boundaries of sportsmanship IMO, but I quite like tough sports teams. Others, unlike yourself, will perceive it as arrogance and bad sportsmanship.

*looks at himself then types like LtD* 'Cop That' - I am a super poster everyone agree with me!

Ponting sooks when Aussies lose. Factual. I cringe everytime they lose as to what he will say. You never hear Tendulkar complaining in matches they lose.

Also, blokes like yourself need to learn to look at arguments from both perspectives. Otherwise you will probably get banned from this joint, just like you got banned from the other joint across the interwebz...

Worst case scenario is you and Soooz can hang out on a Tuesday night talking about goal umpiring :eek:

AND LtD - 'Cop That'

thommy_rissole;397151 said:
I don't have an avatar of Afridi, so I will say it (unless you can find a reason to hate them): Ponting is very much disliked because he and the Australians are perceived as a team of bad sports. I personally don't think they are, they do push the boundaries of sportsmanship IMO, but I quite like tough sports teams. Others, unlike yourself, will perceive it as arrogance and bad sportsmanship.

*looks at himself then types like LtD* 'Cop That' - I am a super poster everyone agree with me!

Ponting sooks when Aussies lose. Factual. I cringe everytime they lose as to what he will say. You never hear Tendulkar complaining in matches they lose.

Also, blokes like yourself need to learn to look at arguments from both perspectives. Otherwise you will probably get banned from this joint, just like you got banned from the other joint across the interwebz...

Worst case scenario is you and Soooz can hang out on a Tuesday night talking about goal umpiring :eek:

AND LtD - 'Cop That'

I agree, that at times, the Australians have pushed the envelope. However, lets not kid ourselves that it is only the 'big', 'bad' Australians that act like that. Every team does it, whether it's Strass and Flower ordering out the physio or whether it's Sehwag palming the ball over the boundary to keep the tail-ender on strike for the next over.

The problem is this, the Australians, generally win more than they lose. People envy this; the same as people envy other people who have lots of money. It is simple jealousy. Therefore, whenever Australia, or to be more exact, an Australian player, steps out of line then people are going to come down hard and not forget it.

The arguement that Ponting is disliked because his a bad sport is absolute crap. The blatant hypocrisy is cringeworthy.

Afridi is treated as a god because he can belt a cricket ball longer than just about anyone else in the history of the game. The fact that he has willfully torn a wicket up; tampered with the ball, and brandished a bat at a spectator is blissfully forgotten. Why? Because 'boom' 'boom' can smash a cricket ball into orbit; Pakistan also don't win much, so there is none of the 'tall poppy syndrome' that occurs when a team wins a lot.

Ponting, at slip, chewing gum, unshaven and spitting in his hands is a picture of someone who has one thing on his mind, winning. It just so happens that he has been involved in more winning test matchs than any other player in the history of the game. He also, at one point, appeared certain to over-take Tendulkar's century tally; the Indians obviously became a bit shirty at this prospect, while the SCG 2008 episode further fuelled their dislike.

Lets not build this up as a personaility clash.

Lets tell it for what it is; blatant hypocrisy and double standards.

thommy_rissole;397151 said:

Why would Tendulkar say anything? He isn't captain of India and when he was, he was average!

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;397153 said:
I agree, that at times, the Australians have pushed the envelope. However, lets not kid ourselves that it is only the 'big', 'bad' Australians that act like that. Every team does it, whether it's Strass and Flower ordering out the physio or whether it's Sehwag palming the ball over the boundary to keep the tail-ender on strike for the next over.

The problem is this, the Australians, generally win more than they lose. People envy this; the same as people envy other people who have lots of money. It is simple jealousy. Therefore, whenever Australia, or to be more exact, an Australian player, steps out of line then people are going to come down hard and not forget it.

The arguement that Ponting is disliked because his a bad sport is absolute crap. The blatant hypocrisy is cringeworthy.

Afridi is treated as a god because he can belt a cricket ball longer than just about anyone else in the history of the game. The fact that he has willfully torn a wicket up; tampered with the ball, and brandished a bat at a spectator is blissfully forgotten. Why? Because 'boom' 'boom' can smash a cricket ball into orbit; Pakistan also don't win much, so there is none of the 'tall poppy syndrome' that occurs when a team wins a lot.

Ponting, at slip, chewing gum, unshaven and spitting in his hands is a picture of someone who has one thing on his mind, winning. It just so happens that he has been involved in more winning test matchs than any other player in the history of the game. He also, at one point, appeared certain to over-take Tendulkar's century tally; the Indians obviously became a bit shirty at this prospect, while the SCG 2008 episode further fuelled their dislike.

Lets not build this up as a personaility clash.

Lets tell it for what it is; blatant hypocrisy and double standards.

OhMyGodTheChips;397154 said:
Why would Tendulkar say anything? He isn't captain of India and when he was, he was average!

He does the most media interviews/articles out of any Indian player. I am not debating whether he was or wasn't a good captain. When he speaks, even after a loss, he is very humble.

Look I like Ponting, I think he is often criticised to heavily, this isn't my argument.

I am just pointing out to LtD as to why people would dislike Ponting, simple as that.

Also, if you read your above post LtD you will understand why Ricky Ponting is so disliked.

Afridi, Sehwag, Strauss & Flower, SCG 2008 & hypocrisy are irrelevant in this topic, I still don't understand why you continually bring them into it.

What the people think: - Ponting is an arrogant ************** who thinks winning is everything and when he loses it is nearly always someone else's fault (Gary Pratt). He is an old bar brawler so he had a lot of people off-side from the start, no matter how many runs, centuries or times he stimulates you LtD people don't forgot what happened previous.

That is not my personal opinion so don't come back at me with irrelevant facts, as I have said I quite like Ponting and I also personally like a 'winning-at-all-costs' approach to International cricket but many people don't.

If you're not happy with that and you don't think it answers your OP then we might as well close this thread.

Look, I agree with that.

If you don't like Ponting's 'win at all costs' approach - if you want to call it that - than you don't really have much grounds for complaint if Australia lose.

And here is the point, whenever Australia loses the media gets on Ponting's back, and the fans get a bit narky. Hell, you just have to listen to the ABC commentators venting their frustation when Australia is getting hammered.

If you don't like a win at all costs approach, than you better not whinge when the team loses.

I hate losing, at times I will try and make tongue in cheek excuses for losing (pitchs, umpires, physios) but I think it is weak to blame one player or turn on the team.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;397192 said:
Look, I agree with that.

If you don't like Ponting's 'win at all costs' approach - if you want to call it that - than you don't really have much grounds for complaint if Australia lose.

And here is the point, whenever Australia loses the media gets on Ponting's back, and the fans get a bit narky. Hell, you just have to listen to the ABC commentators venting their frustation when Australia is getting hammered.

If you don't like a win at all costs approach, than you better not whinge when the team loses.

I hate losing, at times I will try and make tongue in cheek excuses for losing (pitchs, umpires, physios) but I think it is weak to blame one player or turn on the team.

You should've stopped after the first line.

Otherwise re-name this thread to:

'Tell me why people hate Ponting and I'll tell you why they shouldn't'

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;397192 said:
That's pretty crappy logic. Taylor was a far better captain than Ponting, and that sort of hard-edged approach wasn't necessary for him.

Besides, you can be a tough captain leading a gritty team without having an attitude problem. Border was the most ruthless captain we ever had; but he was still generally liked even by most of his opponents.

Caesar;397217 said:
That's pretty crappy logic. Taylor was a far better captain than Ponting, and that sort of hard-edged approach wasn't necessary for him.

Besides, you can be a tough captain leading a gritty team without having an attitude problem. Border was the most ruthless captain we ever had; but he was still generally liked even by most of his opponents.

No argument that Taylor was a far better captain than Ponting; Taylor was one of our greatest ever captains.

Does Ponting really have an attitude problem? This is where the line gets a bit blurred; it is essential to separate fact from hyperbole.

From what I have read about Taylor and his captaincy is almost all positive, with the only negative points being in relation to his form slump and the way that was handled. Another point I have read is the thought that at times Taylor was a bit slack with authority and not coming down hard on members of the team who were playing up.

In some respects you could argue that about Ponting as well; sometimes you get an impression that Ponting still likes to be classed as 'one of the boys' so to speak. The incident with that Indian guy being nudged of the stage in 2006 springs to mind, when Ponting and Martyn seemed to be having a bit of a laugh at this guy making a fool of himself standing in the middle of the stage doing nothing.

Border and Ponting are distinctly different players. Border, like Waugh, was a battler rather than a talented batsmen with all the shots. Ponting, and recently Clarke, were young maestros when they hit the scene and in some respects, the Australian public, more readily identifies with the 'battlers' rather than the naturally talented players.

People under-estimate the difficulty in the task Ponting has had. Leading a 'great' team through a period of transition is different to inheriting a team of no-hopers who can only go upwards.

Well what's Ponting's attitude problem?

Is it because he plays hard?

Is it because Ponting hates losing?

Saying Ponting has an attitude problem doesn't say much; by in large, Ponting has coped with losing a lot better than I thought he would.

In fact, it has almost spurred the development of the team on.

I don't know how the opposition likes Ponting? I know Stuart Broad said he spoke to Ponting after the Ashes and said he was a 'great bloke'.

But, the distinct impression I get from opposition media and fans is that Ponting is a sore loser.

Whether or not that is based on character flaws, or just the fact that Ponting has won a lot is still to be seen.

However, I'd suggest it's a case of tall poppy syndrome.

I can promise you beyond a shadow of a doubt that despite what you would like to believe, Ponting's success as a player and a captain has absolutely zero impact on his popularity, here or overseas. Please consult the first 30 posts of this thread, which I'm not sure you have read, for a comprehensive list of reasons why Ponting is not a popular character.

LtD, the Ponting/Watson love-in is getting really boring. It's no wonder those two are some of the more disliked members of the Australian team, these threads really aren't helping their popularity stakes.

The bickering is also getting fairly old quite quick, not to mention the topic constantly trailing off the main track.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back