Why Is Nsw Good At Cricket

lower11

Dont want to stir the pot here, but most of the top players have traditionally come from this state, I played in victoria before taking a moveup here and tbh after playing in a strong comp in both states, i dont see much difference at the day to day club level, its pretty much the same. Is it just politics?

As David Hookes observed "when they give out the baggy blue cap in NSW, they give you a baggy green in a brown paper bag as well to save making two presentations".

in NSW it seems that it is more difficult to crack the state side at a younger age, hence why many of the young talents
will leave to other states to get a gig.

in NSW it seems that it is more difficult to crack the state side at a younger age, hence why many of the young talents
will leave to other states to get a gig.

But thats counter intuitive to my point. It will mean other states would only get better and have more representation.

While NSW has more Test reps, their record in Shield cricket over the past 10 years hasn't been as good as Victoria (5) and the same as Tassie (2). If you live in any other state you will be aware of a number of players that could have been given a chance ahead of some of the NSW Test reps.

Dont want to stir the pot here, but most of the top players have traditionally come from this state, I played in victoria before taking a moveup here and tbh after playing in a strong comp in both states, i dont see much difference at the day to day club level, its pretty much the same. Is it just politics?
They seem to be a little more professional at it. They might play more of it due to the weather being a little more kind to them.

Hello cricket lovers. Last post on this thread was more than a year ago. Baggers here to enliven this thread and provide some good debate. I am Sydney born and bred so rather a biased NSW Blue devotee. Known fact that more people from our state have played Test cricket for our great country. This is not necesessary bc they boast a superior cricket DNA but bc there is a larger talent pool from which to choose. More people playing.. more that will hit the top of the pile. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
I do get rather tired of the "get a blue cap and the green one is in a bag next to it" Yes I am a proud Blues supporter but I do not condone biased selections because of the color of the cap a player is wearing. All selections should always be based purely on performance.

Hello cricket lovers. Last post on this thread was more than a year ago. Baggers here to enliven this thread and provide some good debate. I am Sydney born and bred so rather a biased NSW Blue devotee. Known fact that more people from our state have played Test cricket for our great country. This is not necesessary bc they boast a superior cricket DNA but bc there is a larger talent pool from which to choose. More people playing.. more that will hit the top of the pile. :thumbsu:
We need to try and get everyone involved on here a little more.

Is it because AFL takes the most talented athletes in Victoria?

Whereas in NSW the best athletes play cricket and it's only the 'big kids' who get lost to rugby?

Back