Will be out or six?

pradip_pandey53

Will be out or six?

Hello experts.

I have an quarries, suppose a batsman hit the ball and ball got divided into two parts in the air. One of them got catched by fielder and another out of the over boundry. What will be decesion in this case? Batsman will be out or six? Is there any rule or term for the same.

Kindly help me in this regards.

PRADIP PANDEY

Re: Will be out or six?

First of all Welcome to bigcricket.com. I think this thread belongs to a different forum.
Wow what a question! Really a tricky guy. I think the Leather ball won't get divided because the captain of the bowling team will change it before it gets badly damaged.

In the extremely unlikely event that this could happen - it is more likely to be a six than an out - since some part of the ball has touched the ball beyond the boundary, and you can't rightly say that the fielder is fully in control of the ball - since he doesn't even know where most of it is :D

In reality though, the ball would probably be in a woeful state for quite a while before physically breaking in two, so I can't imagine it ever coming up - certainly not in International cricket (though if aluminium bats had come in - this might be a legitimate tactic - a leading edge, perhaps :) ). If this happened in a club game - the most sensible course of action would surely be to call a dead ball - no score and no out - and re-bowl it.

Edit: There is a bit about this on the lords website - here I was half right ;)

ive tried for years to knocking teh leather casing off with a Bat...... it wont happen!

Even the Local Yorkshire Terrier has a job on the old Ball!

But i'm down with the end result being a 6!

edladd;280352 said:
In the extremely unlikely event that this could happen - it is more likely to be a six than an out - since some part of the ball has touched the ball beyond the boundary, and you can't rightly say that the fielder is fully in control of the ball - since he doesn't even know where most of it is :D

In reality though, the ball would probably be in a woeful state for quite a while before physically breaking in two, so I can't imagine it ever coming up - certainly not in International cricket (though if aluminium bats had come in - this might be a legitimate tactic - a leading edge, perhaps :) ). If this happened in a club game - the most sensible course of action would surely be to call a dead ball - no score and no out - and re-bowl it.

Edit: There is a bit about this on the lords website - here I was half right ;)
Kevin Pieterson got caught out against the aussies in the WC last year. He went to take the catch but was over the boundary rope when he caught it. Was called a 4

schwab2clarkson;281123 said:
It is called a 6 because the player hasn't stopped running to get the ball runs over the line to catch it.

Read the link. It is a dead ball. To get a boundary 'the ball' has to be over the line, not some part of it. Same with catching.

LOL! Thats the best question I've heard about the rules of the game.

I think they should include this in the list of useless questions they ask in the umpires exam - along with such gems like "is it a 6 or a 4 if the ball lands on top of a boundary cone on the full?"

Back