Winter training

mas cambios

Winter training

Does anyone train through the winter? I've never done it before (well not seriously) but am considering it this year as I have access to some good facilities, plus it's a way to keep the weight off.

Re: Winter training

Training? What is that? I just have to turn up and my natural ability shines through.

None of this running around rubbish for ol' Danny boy!

manee said:
Yes. I am going to start doing it for my cricket club on Wednesday nights.

If anyone did, I thought it might be you lol.

Have you done it in previous years or is this the first time?

Cricket in the winter? What a novel idea, one that I'll think I'll pass on though.

Rugger is the choice of winter pursuit for me.

danicus said:
Training? What is that? I just have to turn up and my natural ability shines through.

None of this running around rubbish for ol' Danny boy!

Meh, idiot.

I don't bother with drills and skills but I do keep fit with cricket in mind, normally a bit of running and light weights, helps with football as well though.

I've found the perfect winter exercise in walking the dog around the woods where I live.

The combination of up and down hill as well as the flat makes it great place for aerobic work, not great for skills mind!

I go through a carefully set out scheme leading up to christmas. Monday/Wednesday/Friday i do nothing, Tuesday/Thursday i do ************ all.

And Saturday/Sunday, well i dont do much then!

You might not be surprised to learn I love winter training!

It gives me a chance to develop my base line strength, endurance, speed and power so I can turn that into better performance come summer.

Why does winter training hurt more than normal training - did an hour of nets and I'm in serious pain.

Guess it'll get easier once I'm used to it again.

Almost_Austwick said:
Why does winter training hurt more than normal training - did an hour of nets and I'm in serious pain.

Make sure to try to warm down before stepping into the car to go home. You should try being a fast bowler with a shoulder strong action, I was hurting till the next session - it was the start of an awful cycle, which I ingeniously broke by missing one session :D

I did, think it's just a case of getting my body used to it again.

Should be ok by Thursday, only to do it all over again on the weekend.

I've only just come across this - being new to cricket I've got to admit I was somewhat surprised that everyone in my team apart from me just chooses to go down the pub for the whole winter and eat crap food. The only exercise they get involved in is lifting pints! Some of them play football, but then put away several pints afterwards.

They all then spend the summer moaning about how unfit over-weight they are. I suppose it's pretty normal for a country where obesity and the likes is increasing and our national game (Football) is closely linked with a culture of drinking.

It's something that I've always found strange as well.

A lot of people on the teams that I play with tend to either play football or cricket so they at least get some exercise in the winter but it still used to annoy me that nets would only start around Easter. This would mean that we'd often only have 3 sessions indoors, 2 outdoors; then a pre season friendly; then the league.

They would then wonder why they struggled to win a game until June or so.

My clubs not so bad it seems as they started nets last week although on a night I can't make it (Gutted)! But I did sense from the tone of the email that went round that they weren't expecting a big response. The other thing that annoyed me last year was at the end of the season where the football season overlaps the cricket season some of the games were jeopardised because people (Mostly the young lads) were playing football in the morning and then were claiming to be too knackered to play cricket and we were left short of players.

The football cross over is a big problem and you can't really get around it. Some will play cricket, most football, just have to get on with it.

As for nets, I reckon you get about 15 max, well, where I play seems to - they run 4 teams on a Saturday.

Winter nets are not the best anyway. Those hard indoor sports halls are hardly good practice for a wet April wicket.

Back