Worst dismissal ever?

mas cambios

Worst dismissal ever?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBAMDCv5c9A"]YouTube - Worst Cricket Dismissal Ever[/ame]

What do you think happened?

Re: Worst dismissal ever?

Caught — ... No?
Bowled — No.
Leg before wicket (lbw) — No.
Run out — No.
Stumped — No.
Hit wicket — Not by the looks of things, but the only thing I assume it could be.
Handled the ball — No.
Hit the ball twice — No.
Obstructing the field — Can't see how.
Timed out — ... Well he's at the crease, so unless it was a belated decision...

Its a first class game, Surrey against Bradford UCCE (would be an early season 'friendly).

The appeal comes from Clarke running in from roughly a mid-on/mid wicket position, to the top left hand corner of the video.

Oh ok that is pretty
bad umpiring then, thats got to be at least a few inches between the bat and ball and it doesn look to me like the batsman hit the wicket...

Thats a classic cricket video. Good fun watching it. The only thing way I can see he was given out was caught behind, but that doesn't make any sense. Maybe the batsmen just cheesed the umpire off at some point?

Yeah, caught behind. By all accounts the official had dozed off, heard an appeal and automatically raised his hand, oblivious as to what for.

A few questions spring to mind here.

Why didn't the batsman look/act angry?
Why didn't the fielding team call him back?
What sound did mid-wicket here?

I guess the only thing that might have occurred is that the batsman was a little overwhelmed (it may well have been his first class debut, playing at the Oval). He saw the umpires finger had gone up and it had little choice but to walk. Any dissent would have possibly put him in a bad light and potentially hampered any career before it started. In some ways he was very professional about it and I'm sure it was addressed after the game.

I think I know someone who plays club cricket with him, so will ask.

Yeh the batsman might of thought it was closer to his bat then it actually was, therefore thinking it wasn't such a bad decision as it actually was and just went straight away because of reasons posted by mas.

Would be interesting to know what was really going through his mind.

That's the most bizarre thing I've ever seen! Very unsportsmanlike of the fielding side not to withdraw the appeal - although, once the finger goes up is there anything they can do?
I can't see this umpire getting picked for the elite panel any time in the near .... ever, actually! Though there have been some dodgy decisions made on the test scene of late.

Firstly Scoot thanks for the video,,,,,Had a good laugh on it:D

I would personally not blame the fielding side as they would try to grab any given opportunity.
Yes the blame is on the umpire who might have been sleeping and suddengly in a puff woke and gave the decision.
But the biggest fault is of the Captain who has selected a player who can't even understand and at least tell the umpire about the ball missing the bat with big gap and rather walking back like a dumb fool.

What the? That can't be a real cricket match played with proper laws? The batsman seemed so cool with the decision. think no one would walk straight away like that. And its really pathetic of the fielding side to celebrate that wicket.

Like mas said it could of been his first game so he just followed the umpires decision,
as the the fielders it was pathetic and none of them look very enthusiastic about it anyway.

The whole video looked just bizarre to me. Maybe the umpire was day dreaming but there was only one guy appealing. And If the umpire is unsure, he must decide in favour of the batsman. If I was the batsman, I would have made my displeasure apparent to him.
Not sure if its the worst dismissal ever, because I've heard that incidents like this used to happen a few decades ago, especially in India - Pakistan encounters, as there were no action replays or neutral umpires.

Back