Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Do any of you have training sessions where you just forget how to bowl spin. I went to the nets with someone yesterday and was just bowling straight breaks with no top spin or turn. Just could not get it right. Felt weird bowling too.

Was bowling my meds nicely though lol.
Yes, quite often, especially when I 've been trying to up my pace. I've had to really focus on the wrist action in particular and sometimes bowl from a standing start to get the rip back

So many times. Things don’t work so try some alterations and tweaks which make it worse.

Three things I always say to myself. 1. Even the best have bad spells. 2. Success doesn’t happen in straight lines: I’m not always going to be better today than I was yesterday. 3. This has happened before and I came through it, so I’ll come through it again.

What a time it is to be a left-arm wristspinner - back in the nineties, I had to make do with the odd glimpse of Michael Bevan. Very honourable mention to GB Hogg, but Kuldeep has got to be the best leftie I've seen in tests - I particularly enjoy him because he's a really classical legspinner, just when that type seemed to have disappeared from tests. He's definitely put on a few KPH, but I can't see that he's doing all that much different - his action is a little bit more straight-at-the-batsman, and he keeps his front arm a little bit tighter to the side, but other than that, is he just doing everything a bit faster? Have any of the more experienced bowlers here ever successfully upped their pace?
Yeah I went through a phase of trying to increase 'Arm speed' but I concluded that was a younger persons approach. I don't think it's something that is advocated, it seems to be that generally people bowl at their optimum arm speed within the limits of your own body, so to consciously push it faster - might be asking for problems going forwards? The other thing I tried was running in with a longer faster run-up, that brought rewards, but I had loads of problems with shuffling and losing my rhythm, so I gave up on that. I occasionally give it a go when I practice and sometimes in game, but I'm also aware that its quite demanding on my knees and has caused issues before that took much of the winter to resolve.

Glad you are enjoying it Leggy88. To the other members on this thread not using the new software I ask you to switch to black mode when you log off to hopefully entice visitors to register. Fact is we need more posters on the actual games thread, Baggy Greens, domestic etc.
Yeah I think forums like this have seen their day... These are the death throes of them we're seeing now. This one only survives because of the effort of the people involved put in and the fact that what we do is pretty niche, there's not that many people out there that do it with this amount of passion and as a result the only place you can have a lengthy and detailed discussion is basically here. The other thing about this thread is no-one comes across as a total know it all and we're all willing to share ideas and experiences.

Do any of you have training sessions where you just forget how to bowl spin. I went to the nets with someone yesterday and was just bowling straight breaks with no top spin or turn. Just could not get it right. Felt weird bowling too.

Was bowling my meds nicely though lol.
Yeah I've done that - whatever you do nothing goes right. Brain fug?

I'm guessing you're all done (Antipodeans)? I've been watching the women's cricket in NZ, that's been good from an England perspective, there's been some good games. I get the impression the games are being played right at the back end of the season over there? We're approach the season - 3 weeks away from the first potential friendlies in club games, but the county season starts this coming weekend. Weather is utter "dogcrap" and has been for months - wet, grey, cool and miserable. I reckon the fact that we've had 2 months of record breaking rain will mean a real soggy start.

I've just finished 6 weeks of indoor nets, that went OK... I've bowled Flippers and Top-spinners and they're coming out OK. I want to get more variation with the flipper in terms of the speed and length - combining it with better accuracy. I reckon with bowling more top-spinners with their added bounce, I'll have more batters looking to step back into their crease looking to cut me through the point region. This was evident in the nets to some extent and I'd have hit the stumps more if I was a little more accurate with the Flippers, but I also reckon a slower flipper will bring LBW's as the amount of back-spin I get stops the ball so much and batters play all over the top of it, just the accuracy missing at the moment, so that's what I need to work on. Leg-Breaks I'll reserve for games where I'm playing with better players who can run and catch in the outfield and where the batters are slightly more respectful. The last net session I noticed that the out of the front of the hand flipper - the one that breaks to off sometimes seemed to be far more accurate than my usual back-spinner, so I'm going to follow that up once we're outside. My Top-spinners coming along nicely and is ready to go at the start of the season. Lots of batters were struggling against it, the dip is what gets them and the fact that they're expecting it to turn. Looks very promising. If the weather holds off for a couple of days and the sun comes out a bit, I might get a few hours in the nets this Thursday. The other thing is strength and agility - made a start on that, just need to get out and do some interval training with my running and some throwing practice - stumps and distance. Can't wait!

Yeah I think forums like this have seen their day... These are the death throes of them we're seeing now. This one only survives because of the effort of the people involved put in and the fact that what we do is pretty niche, there's not that many people out there that do it with this amount of passion and as a result the only place you can have a lengthy and detailed discussion is basically here. The other thing about this thread is no-one comes across as a total know it all and we're all willing to share ideas and experiences.
This does seem to be the case, but I really hope they hold on a bit longer - you don't get this sort of ongoing conversation on more modern social media, and as you say, forums are invaluable for this sort of niche area. Not an accident that busiest coaching thread by far is full of the wristspin obsessives!

This does seem to be the case, but I really hope they hold on a bit longer - you don't get this sort of ongoing conversation on more modern social media, and as you say, forums are invaluable for this sort of niche area. Not an accident that busiest coaching thread by far is full of the wristspin obsessives!
We've always been pretty much the most active part of the forums, I reckon we'll be going a little longer!

Back