Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Two)

I had a bowl today using Hockey Balls on tarmac in 9 degrees centigrade weather. Went very well, good turn off the wicket despite no seam and exceptional accuracy with line and length at all speeds and trajectories. My Wrong Uns toned down a lot these days as I bowl 90% Leg Breaks now, but I'm not fussed it still turns so that's okay. I tried bowling wide of the stumps and round the stumps as my normally delivery is over the stumps and very straight down the middle. Coming round the stumps looked interesting as I was still landing the ball on the same position which then meant with the turn off the crease it went very wide. I was wondering what the batsman might do with such a delivery if you were to bowl it with less turn, it looked as though it might be the kind of shot that they'd be tempted to sweep and try and hit into the legside - which then means they're playing against the spin and increases the potential for mis-hitting the ball? Is this a worthwhile tactic - what would you be hoping to happen and how would you set the field if you were bowling around the wicket picthing the ball in-line with the off-stump on a length that could be hit with a sweep shot but still turning away to the off-side?

My sons school cricket carnival was postponed and will be on this coming friday. His team were beaten for their 4th straight loss in saturdays club game. He bowled just the 2 overs for 4 runs and no wickets. So that is 3/38 from 10 overs for the season so far.

someblokecalleddave;374296 said:
I had a bowl today using Hockey Balls on tarmac in 9 degrees centigrade weather. Went very well, good turn off the wicket despite no seam and exceptional accuracy with line and length at all speeds and trajectories. My Wrong Uns toned down a lot these days as I bowl 90% Leg Breaks now, but I'm not fussed it still turns so that's okay. I tried bowling wide of the stumps and round the stumps as my normally delivery is over the stumps and very straight down the middle. Coming round the stumps looked interesting as I was still landing the ball on the same position which then meant with the turn off the crease it went very wide. I was wondering what the batsman might do with such a delivery if you were to bowl it with less turn, it looked as though it might be the kind of shot that they'd be tempted to sweep and try and hit into the legside - which then means they're playing against the spin and increases the potential for mis-hitting the ball? Is this a worthwhile tactic - what would you be hoping to happen and how would you set the field if you were bowling around the wicket picthing the ball in-line with the off-stump on a length that could be hit with a sweep shot but still turning away to the off-side?

I suppose normally that would be employed against left-handers ? Sometimes the legspinner will go around the wicket if there is a worn patch on the pitch to righthanders as well.

Hey guys,

This week has been an excellent week for me !

Bought some new balls this week, they got here before the weekend. Yay ! 6 new balls from ebay. (giving me a set of 9 for practice as I'd lost a couple).

I also found a perfect winter practice area near work...... an enclosed basketball court (concrete) that, get this, has metal wickets at each end built into the enclosing metal wall, including wide markers too ! Result !

I also spent this week measuring out properly the pitch at my practice area, I was bowling off about yard/yard and a half too short ...... so this helped the leg side full toss problem all by itself. Lol. I also began bringing my leading arm down slicing a foot outside off stump, rather than on the stumps. This enabled me to get a lot straighter this week too.

Everywhere I read "bring your front arm down where you are aiming", but bringing my arm down a foot outside that line seems to be much better for me. I think I'd certainly recommend any other new starters with leg spin avoid the advice to slice it down the aim point, just this one change has helped a lot on keeping the ball in line with the stumps.

My measuring project also revealed my garden is just a yard or two too small..... Even cutting off the pitch after my "tabletop" leaves me a yard or two short. That prompted me, today, to go on a scouting expedition of the club grounds within driving distance........ and whaddya know, second try out, I find one with a net still up only 15 min drive from my house. I assume it'll be up all winter if it's up mid-nov so............ RESULT ! I now have two top class practice areas (weekday lunch, and weekend).

Whatsmore, my bowling has really improved after todays practice at the new net....... I fully agree with Philpotts opinion from his book that a "1hr practice is just a warm up". I'm limited to 50min practices during the week, and only really get a good groove going for the last 15-20min. Today I had a good 2-21/2 hours......... and for a good hour and half of that I was in a real good groove....... dropping them in line most of the time, hitting the right length a lot, fewer drag downs and leg side full tosses.

I found a plastic sack (such as you buy compost in) flattened it out and put it on a good length with the leg side of it in line with leg stump..... and I was regularly hitting the 120cmX80cm (-ish) bag.

The only shame was, with the 6 brand new balls and the carpet wicket soaking wet, I wasn't getting any turn........ only with my two old "rough as hell" balls was I getting deviation, and even then only from say leg to clipping off.

Although a week on the concrete for the new balls will soon sort that out with them (although it might mean a semi-regular ball purchase, as the concrete has been rough on the balls I have). I'd rather carry on with cricket balls and replace them every month or two than use hockey balls.

Anyway, I kept setting up a coupla planks I found as wickets (leaning against my bag) but stopped after a while as I was nailing them every 2-3 balls or so (what with me hitting the wicket line and getting little spin) I ended up just placing my bag on the wicket so I could check I was on line.

So, really good....... was even getting LOTS of energy into the delivery action despite the short run in...... the only slight problem was that it's a closed net (nets over the top) and quite often balls would hit the top net, then slide along it until hitting a "rafter" pole with a clunk and dropping to the pitch.

Some of these were probably my patented leg side full tosses, but other "felt" like good balls as they left the hand. Most would have missed the rafter with an unclosed net (dipping in and out betrween rafters)......... but it made me wonder........ are you guys lofting it this high (I was hitting the rafter about 20% of the time) ? Is this a recurrent problem with closed nets for leg spinners ? Or does it suggest I am giving it way too much air (bearing in mind that probably 1/2 of the balls hitting the rafter were full tosses), it's just maybe 1 ball every 8-10 balls that "felt" good, but hit the rafter anyway... do you suffer this in closed nets ?

Still.....MASSIVE week...... and only 2 months in. I figure I've got 3 times as long to imp[rove as it took to get this far over the winter, so I'm now feeling really positive at feeling ready by the season next year. Things do seem to be coming together. There were a couple of spells there where for 2-3 overs I was just hitting that spot or near as dammit. If I'd pulled those out of the hat in a match I reckon there was a good wicket or two in there. (although, by no means all or even most of my overs are like that).

And as always, I am reading all your stuff and taking notes...... maybe in a week or two I'll get some video together over this net so you guys can see what I'm doing etc. I expect my action looks very untidy, but it's gradually coming together.

Hope you all have a good week with practice/sons matches/whatever your doing this week. TGP training update done. Only one question this week ! Do you hit the rafters in closed nets too ? Or is TGP "giving it way too much air if you're doing that regularly" ?

Yours,

TGP

TheGreasyPole;374388 said:
Only one question this week ! Do you hit the rafters in closed nets too ? Or is TGP "giving it way too much air if you're doing that regularly" ?

it depends on the nets. my local nets are pretty low (and narrow) and the nets dont start until almost halfway down the wicket, and before they took the nets down the cable ties had all broken so the front hung down really low. so i regularly put the ball on top of the nets.

at my clubs nets they come back much further (almost to the bowling crease) and are much taller and wider. so if im hitting the roof on those im generally bowling really poorly and releasing too early. in my videos on youtube you can probably work out how tall the nets are (im 6'2") and how close i put the ball to the roof (usually within 12-24"), and compare that to your own bowling.

not to say that i flight the ball the "correct" amount, but just as a comparison to someone elses bowling. im not yet sure whether flight is good or bad. getting it above the eyeline too much i think is counter productive, a good batsman wont be offput, they will just adjust. putting it so it doesnt go above the eyeline doesnt cause the batsman problems in sighting the delivery, but flat deliveries are faster and i can still turn the ball well off a flat delivery, and still get drift (more in fact) and dip. but if you get it just right, so its just above the eyeline, thats the spot where it seems to do the damage as its incredibly hard to judge the length, and even harder to adjust to dip/carry. but its hard to get it perfect, and im undecided on whether its better to err on the flighted or flat side. flighted balls seem to give control when the ball isnt doing much, but i reckon flat will get more wickets, but be less forgiving.

making a mention on my own bowling progress, seeing as i havent done so in ages - i havent done any lol, hence no updates. i havent bowled now in a month, i was crazy busy for a few weeks and literally didnt get time, and now the weather has been rubbish everytime ive been free. im hoping the month of not bowling might "reset" my muscles a bit, so hopefully when i get back to it il be able to find more fluidity in my action, it had become a bit robotic whilst i was making my videos.

TheGreasyPole;374388 said:
Hey guys,

This week has been an excellent week for me !

Bought some new balls this week, they got here before the weekend. Yay ! 6 new balls from ebay. (giving me a set of 9 for practice as I'd lost a couple).

I also found a perfect winter practice area near work...... an enclosed basketball court (concrete) that, get this, has metal wickets at each end built into the enclosing metal wall, including wide markers too ! Result !

I also spent this week measuring out properly the pitch at my practice area, I was bowling off about yard/yard and a half too short ...... so this helped the leg side full toss problem all by itself. Lol. I also began bringing my leading arm down slicing a foot outside off stump, rather than on the stumps. This enabled me to get a lot straighter this week too.

Everywhere I read "bring your front arm down where you are aiming", but bringing my arm down a foot outside that line seems to be much better for me. I think I'd certainly recommend any other new starters with leg spin avoid the advice to slice it down the aim point, just this one change has helped a lot on keeping the ball in line with the stumps.

My measuring project also revealed my garden is just a yard or two too small..... Even cutting off the pitch after my "tabletop" leaves me a yard or two short. That prompted me, today, to go on a scouting expedition of the club grounds within driving distance........ and whaddya know, second try out, I find one with a net still up only 15 min drive from my house. I assume it'll be up all winter if it's up mid-nov so............ RESULT ! I now have two top class practice areas (weekday lunch, and weekend).

Whatsmore, my bowling has really improved after todays practice at the new net....... I fully agree with Philpotts opinion from his book that a "1hr practice is just a warm up". I'm limited to 50min practices during the week, and only really get a good groove going for the last 15-20min. Today I had a good 2-21/2 hours......... and for a good hour and half of that I was in a real good groove....... dropping them in line most of the time, hitting the right length a lot, fewer drag downs and leg side full tosses.

I found a plastic sack (such as you buy compost in) flattened it out and put it on a good length with the leg side of it in line with leg stump..... and I was regularly hitting the 120cmX80cm (-ish) bag.

The only shame was, with the 6 brand new balls and the carpet wicket soaking wet, I wasn't getting any turn........ only with my two old "rough as hell" balls was I getting deviation, and even then only from say leg to clipping off.

Although a week on the concrete for the new balls will soon sort that out with them (although it might mean a semi-regular ball purchase, as the concrete has been rough on the balls I have). I'd rather carry on with cricket balls and replace them every month or two than use hockey balls.

Anyway, I kept setting up a coupla planks I found as wickets (leaning against my bag) but stopped after a while as I was nailing them every 2-3 balls or so (what with me hitting the wicket line and getting little spin) I ended up just placing my bag on the wicket so I could check I was on line.

So, really good....... was even getting LOTS of energy into the delivery action despite the short run in...... the only slight problem was that it's a closed net (nets over the top) and quite often balls would hit the top net, then slide along it until hitting a "rafter" pole with a clunk and dropping to the pitch.

Some of these were probably my patented leg side full tosses, but other "felt" like good balls as they left the hand. Most would have missed the rafter with an unclosed net (dipping in and out betrween rafters)......... but it made me wonder........ are you guys lofting it this high (I was hitting the rafter about 20% of the time) ? Is this a recurrent problem with closed nets for leg spinners ? Or does it suggest I am giving it way too much air (bearing in mind that probably 1/2 of the balls hitting the rafter were full tosses), it's just maybe 1 ball every 8-10 balls that "felt" good, but hit the rafter anyway... do you suffer this in closed nets ?

Still.....MASSIVE week...... and only 2 months in. I figure I've got 3 times as long to imp[rove as it took to get this far over the winter, so I'm now feeling really positive at feeling ready by the season next year. Things do seem to be coming together. There were a couple of spells there where for 2-3 overs I was just hitting that spot or near as dammit. If I'd pulled those out of the hat in a match I reckon there was a good wicket or two in there. (although, by no means all or even most of my overs are like that).

And as always, I am reading all your stuff and taking notes...... maybe in a week or two I'll get some video together over this net so you guys can see what I'm doing etc. I expect my action looks very untidy, but it's gradually coming together.

Hope you all have a good week with practice/sons matches/whatever your doing this week. TGP training update done. Only one question this week ! Do you hit the rafters in closed nets too ? Or is TGP "giving it way too much air if you're doing that regularly" ?

Yours,

TGP
Some of the net set-ups can be a problem for legspinners that flight the ball a lot, but usually if you hit the crossbar or roof you are probably tossing it too high. That stuff only works against weaker batsman who cant play off the front foot. I suppose in general the better the batsman, especially front foot players, the less you should flight the ball.

I can stand behind the net and watch the position of the ball at its zenith and compare it to the crossbar and determine if the ball is too full as my son bowls his legbreaks. You can also work out the amount of drop by placing a marker on the pitch and comparing where the ball lands compared to how high it was in relation to the crossbar.

The amount of flight you seek varies but the old adage "just above the batsmans eyeline" is best most of the time.

Hey Dave,

I was just checking out mpa-first-eleven...... and noticed youy metnioned trying to increase your google ranking. I'm a computer bod IRL, and I happen to know that it's not just the links you get but the quality of them. A link from the 1st search result for "leg spin" is better than link from the 10th listed site (or 100th listed site, by far).

Putting "leg spin" into google I noticed the "top return" was the wiki page for leg spin. Anyone can edit wiki pages, and the current "leg spin" "flipper" and "googly" pages there are stubs (not particularly fleshed out articles).

Why not bang your link on there as part of some links on the various variations ? Just edit into the text a reference to the grip, add a reference as in an academic paper [4] and then in the references link that to your blog. Also add your links into the "additional information" section.

Some of the text from your sites might also be valuable on there, to new leggies who stumble accross the wiki page first. The links would also drive LOTS of visits your way on their own, as people visit the wiki then "click through" onto your sites, interspersed as references will be among the text for "flippers" and "leg break" and "topspinner" etc.

Finally, I also notice one of the other sites in the top 10 is a "talk cricket" site about variations, and another is the BBC academy for same, an e-mail to each providing the links and saying "feel free to link me if people need further information" might get you added to those posts as they'd be grateful for the resource. Again giving your sites massive ranking boosts.

I'd guess just getting the links in wiki will probably push you into the top 10. Especially once you take into account the fact that the boost will be multiplied, because the links between your blogs will also be more valuable as links to have now. (you could probably also add this thread to the wiki page, to give more kudos to the links here onto your sites, and to direct leg spinners this way as a discussion forum).

Sign up for an account (free) and insert your links with some text into the wiki articles for "leg spin", "leg break", "googly", "flipper", "wrong 'un" etc. etc. and that may even get you intol the top 3 of 4.

Also, I'd guess you'd get a LOT of visits from people just coming from the wiki. The article are quite bare there...... and if they saw your links at the bottom I'd say you'd get a lot of people interested in more clicking through onto your blogs.

Yours,

TGP

I just looked through all the wiki articles on the various legspin variations, and they are freaking weak. Most are a paragraph or two and a "list of bowlers who used this variation" and thats it.

You'd be doing wiki a favour adding a bit to each and linking your blog (and other blogs that link to your blog).

on the subject of google indexing - my videos seem to be doing fairly well. "off spinning flipper" returns my video as the top result, on AOL videos (its amazing how many sites im finding them on lol). im also number 3 link for "wrist spin video", and "wrist spin slider" returns 2 of my videos top.

i wish id called the videos "leg spin" now instead, because thats probably the more common search term!!

Yeah you'd get a lot more hits - but wrist spin is the correct term, I'll link them to my sites in time. Incidentally I've not been on tonight as I'm writing a teaching essay and I've managed to bring cricket, this website and my blogs into the essay as examples of using new technologies as teaching tools!

TheGreasyPole;374406 said:
I just looked through all the wiki articles on the various legspin variations, and they are freaking weak. Most are a paragraph or two and a "list of bowlers who used this variation" and thats it.

You'd be doing wiki a favour adding a bit to each and linking your blog (and other blogs that link to your blog).

Most of the stuff on the internet is very weak. I still reckon the Beau Casson Michael Freedman video is the best.

TheGreasyPole;374405 said:
Hey Dave,

I was just checking out mpa-first-eleven...... and noticed youy metnioned trying to increase your google ranking. I'm a computer bod IRL, and I happen to know that it's not just the links you get but the quality of them. A link from the 1st search result for "leg spin" is better than link from the 10th listed site (or 100th listed site, by far).

Putting "leg spin" into google I noticed the "top return" was the wiki page for leg spin. Anyone can edit wiki pages, and the current "leg spin" "flipper" and "googly" pages there are stubs (not particularly fleshed out articles).

Why not bang your link on there as part of some links on the various variations ? Just edit into the text a reference to the grip, add a reference as in an academic paper [4] and then in the references link that to your blog. Also add your links into the "additional information" section.

Some of the text from your sites might also be valuable on there, to new leggies who stumble accross the wiki page first. The links would also drive LOTS of visits your way on their own, as people visit the wiki then "click through" onto your sites, interspersed as references will be among the text for "flippers" and "leg break" and "topspinner" etc.

Finally, I also notice one of the other sites in the top 10 is a "talk cricket" site about variations, and another is the BBC academy for same, an e-mail to each providing the links and saying "feel free to link me if people need further information" might get you added to those posts as they'd be grateful for the resource. Again giving your sites massive ranking boosts.

I'd guess just getting the links in wiki will probably push you into the top 10. Especially once you take into account the fact that the boost will be multiplied, because the links between your blogs will also be more valuable as links to have now. (you could probably also add this thread to the wiki page, to give more kudos to the links here onto your sites, and to direct leg spinners this way as a discussion forum).

Sign up for an account (free) and insert your links with some text into the wiki articles for "leg spin", "leg break", "googly", "flipper", "wrong 'un" etc. etc. and that may even get you intol the top 3 of 4.

Also, I'd guess you'd get a LOT of visits from people just coming from the wiki. The article are quite bare there...... and if they saw your links at the bottom I'd say you'd get a lot of people interested in more clicking through onto your blogs.

Yours,

TGP

I'll have to come back to this and do this. It's also good for this essay I'm writing and I'll print this off as part of the appendix - cheers

someblokecalleddave;374431 said:
Most of the stuff on the internet is very weak. I still reckon the Beau Casson Michael Freedman video is the best.

Beau Casson played for nsw last week but was overshadowed by Steve Smith. Smith was outstanding with the ball but also made runs. He copped a bit of stick along with all our blokes but was the pick of the nsw bowlers and the long spells katich gave him compared to Casson or katich himself says a lot about where he is heading.

Greasy, I noticed you seem to be using real cricket balls on concrete, you might want to try Hockey balls. They're same size, same weight, fairly similar bounce and plastic and soon rough up to give you some purchase on the ball. They spin okay and turn off the wicket alright as well and will last you years.

I had a look at the wiki pages with a view to linking my blogs - but man to a layman like me that looks bloody complicated! I might have a look when my brains not so frazzled.

With regards the net height and hitting it, yeah that kind of happens as I warm up sometimes, but then as I get into it my natural flight comes and that's lower. As Macca has said just above the eye-line is where you want it and needless to say if you're bowling faster a flatter delivery is a consequence of the speed you're bowling. Although every now and then I bowl big flighty balls just to test my control over the accuracy at different speeds and trajectories as on the very odd ocassion I toss one up to a batsman.

Good to hear you're doing okay and it's coming together. Like you I've found a similar venue just round the corner to me where I've not practiced before and I hope to be giving that a go this coming weekend.

My kids home ground is where we practise now mostly. Concrete with synthetic grass top. The breeze is usually a cross breeze and it doesn't matter which end he bowls from as both cross breezes have their advantage and even a tail wind can help you get some extra pace if you end up having to use the wind from behind, at u/12 they dont pay that much attention to the wind direction but with concrete pitches the wind direction is more important than anything.
Last few days have been a bit hot to train too hard, thats why we work at bowling so much in winter compared to summer, it is more comfortable to train when the max temp is 20 degrees celsius in winter as compared to 35 degrees today.
I was scoring last week but i did notice my boy was bowling a beautiful length. pitched up every ball but dropping just short enough so they had to come out to drive.

My son and his mates will be sick of cricket by saturday arvo, they train for two hours tonight, then play all day tomorrow for their school then half a day for their club the day after.
There is another reason we train more in the winter, we never do anything cricket after the game and the next day we always have off but in winter we could train on both days.
At the moment it is all about concentration for him. If he focuses it is almost automatic he will land just short of a length on the stumps. Any lapse of concentration and he might go too wide and full but never a long hop. But that will wake him up and get him back on track concentrating for the rest of his spell.
Still see lots of kids bowl a few great legspinners at training or in a game but when they bowl a shocker, like a real short one they go back to pace or even worse offspin! The odd kid copies my son and try to be a legspinner and often they have far more natural talent for legspin than my kid but innaccuracy always frustrates them off in the end. If they perservered and put in the long lonely hours required , there would be more wristspinners.
There is only one other young wristspinner at our club, in another team than my young bloke, and he is very good , better than my son, but not by much. He is more athletic and gets even more bounce and perhaps spin than my son. he is also extraordinarily accurate, that surprised me. But his big drawback is he is lefthanded, I was watching him bowl and the good righthanders played him easily but he was inexpensive.

Which brings me nicely to somthing I've been thinking about tonight - bowling against Lefties. I was watching some video footage of a series from last year NZ v Eng and Strauss and Cook were both batting (Lefties) facing the Medium-fast bowling of Southee. The bloke commentating mentioned that Southees attack line was perfect, he was bowling over the wicket at and around the off-stump with the threat of the ball coming in on the stumps off the seam. Looking at it - it struck me that this might be the way that I should approach my bowling at Lefties?

The only question is why is that preferable to bowling around the wicket, surely if I'm bowling diagonally across the wicket, there's a temptation to bat across the line into his Legside with less fielders and if I'm still bowling my leg breaks (Wrong Uns for him) he's then batting with the spin?

Oh yeah when you're trying to describe this situation who's perspective should I describe it from as from his point of view and my point of view the legside and off-side are opposing?

I'd have thought it was an asset to have a Chinaman in the team, can the kid turn the ball both ways - from the tone of your description it doesn't sound as though he's got a good wrong un to use against the right handers?

someblokecalleddave;374930 said:
Which brings me nicely to somthing I've been thinking about tonight - bowling against Lefties. I was watching some video footage of a series from last year NZ v Eng and Strauss and Cook were both batting (Lefties) facing the Medium-fast bowling of Southee. The bloke commentating mentioned that Southees attack line was perfect, he was bowling over the wicket at and around the off-stump with the threat of the ball coming in on the stumps off the seam. Looking at it - it struck me that this might be the way that I should approach my bowling at Lefties?

The only question is why is that preferable to bowling around the wicket, surely if I'm bowling diagonally across the wicket, there's a temptation to bat across the line into his Legside with less fielders and if I'm still bowling my leg breaks (Wrong Uns for him) he's then batting with the spin?

Oh yeah when you're trying to describe this situation who's perspective should I describe it from as from his point of view and my point of view the legside and off-side are opposing?

I'd have thought it was an asset to have a Chinaman in the team, can the kid turn the ball both ways - from the tone of your description it doesn't sound as though he's got a good wrong un to use against the right handers?

I read somewhere that 1/3 of all test centuries scored against warne were by lefthanders and warne was pretty good at bowling to lefthanders. Grimmett reckoned he preferred bowling at Hammond rather than a lefthander like Wooley even though he rated Hammond a better player. So lefthanders have troubled the very best.

I dont know why chinaman bowlers are supposed to be expensive? I suppose against a right handed batting line-up they feel like we would bowling at all lefthanders. They do seem to get clobbered more than most other bowlers.

This left handed kid i saw did have a good wrongun and every time i have seen him bowl he uses it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back