Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Two)

just as a lesson for how important it is to keep spinning balls in your hands all the time...

in September i was capable of 1200rpm on my leg break and 1150rpm on my flipper. ive not been spinning a ball between my hands that much of late, and im down to 1130rpm and 870rpm!! 5% and 25% losses in my respective spinning actions. not great.

whatever i do from here on out im going to make sure im spinning a cricket ball for at least an hour every day whilst watching TV or whatever. i want 1500rpm by next summer, its always been my target.

You're obessesed mate!! I hope you live on your own otherwise you're going to find yourself divorced. I wonder where Saddo went........

macca;376123 said:
He is going to keep pitching it up but not so much loop to every single ball. He reckons last week he got too carried away with trying to get the stumping off their best player. Our keeper wasn't in a good posi to effect one anyway. He definately will vary his pace more and will slip in the faster one
We know their best player, he is very good, but tempermental, immature and hates being frustrated. I am glad he doesn't play for us anymore because he is not a very good sport and carries on a bit if he cops a bad decision, etc. He will be determined to succeed against us that is for sure. If he gets on top of my kid as much as last weeks batting star he is going to introduce some variety not just the natural variation he relies on.
The wicket he took for the school last week was from a wrongun according to the coach ,which is what it looked like to me as well. My kid thought it was the topspinner but it is the occassional wrongun that he has started to bowl just this season. It is not the way i thought he would start bowling wronguns, it came more by accident than anything else. But he has been bowling them on and off from day one and had wrongun syndrome at about 9 years old. They only come every few overs and it does throw me a bit when i keep or bat to him.

My Top-Spinner as I've probably said before here has a tendency to turn in on the batsman, there's very little difference between one or the other for me and the change in wrist position is very subtle.

gundalf7;376318 said:
nice to see the discussion about backspinning leggies on here, its something i've been working on alot lately as well though i can't seem to get one to go straight, they all turn like leggies lol. Am having a go at the backspinning wrong'un as well so will have to see how that one goes. My action is much improved consitency wise and i think i've got my pace back(will have to check it at some stage). There is a bit to work on with the consitency of arm height probablly being the main one as some of my deliveries are better with a high arm and some slightly round arm.

Unfortunately the indoor tournament the other week was cancelled and i didn't get picked for the rearranged one, which we got hammered in. Am back in the side for an indoor game tomorrow so getting in a bit of practice before then, probablly will be bowling exclusively leggies, though practices this afternoon and evening may change my mind.

Anyway dave i'd be up for meeting up and having a net preseason as well would be good to meet up and discuss tactics and deliveries.

On another note it looks like i may have the chance to go on a cricket tour to malta again with the uni which would be ace if it goes ahead.

Anyway i'm off for an hours practice and have nets later to get some good practice in.

The back-spinning wrong un - Jesus! How the **** do you do that!???? PML.

Gundalf - nice one, yeah you, Jim and me we should try and get this together at some point, do ever have any business down this way at all, so that you don't just come all this way for a bit of a net session or do you have another idea?

someblokecalleddave;376330 said:

slider, turned round just a little bit further. its theoretically possible for a conventional leggie, as i mentioned the other day. Muralitharan could easily bowl it, his stock delivery has overspin on it but its about a 45 degree wrist adjustment for him and would be very easy. i reckon its probably a common ball in his arsenal. hence his massive turn probably.

gundalf7;376318 said:
On another note it looks like i may have the chance to go on a cricket tour to malta again with the uni which would be ace if it goes ahead.

QUOTE]

You might run into our old mate sadspinner if you end up going to Malta. He hasn't posted for a while, hope he's O.K.

Jim2109;376323 said:
just as a lesson for how important it is to keep spinning balls in your hands all the time...

in September i was capable of 1200rpm on my leg break and 1150rpm on my flipper. ive not been spinning a ball between my hands that much of late, and im down to 1130rpm and 870rpm!! 5% and 25% losses in my respective spinning actions. not great.

whatever i do from here on out im going to make sure im spinning a cricket ball for at least an hour every day whilst watching TV or whatever. i want 1500rpm by next summer, its always been my target.

That is the way to build up revs and increase finger strength. So many of the best legspinners spent hours just spinning the ball hand to hand. Guys like Grimmett, Mailey, Philpott spent hour after hour ,year in year out spinning the ball
Mailey always took his cricket ball to work at his job for the Sydney Water Board and perfected his wrongun against a toilet wall whilst recieving full pay!

someblokecalleddave;376330 said:

Gundalf - nice one, yeah you, Jim and me we should try and get this together at some point, do ever have any business down this way at all, so that you don't just come all this way for a bit of a net session or do you have another idea?

yeah if i do come down for a net i will probablly make a weekend of it to london as i have a few mates down that way anyway, though i may be having interviews for work placements down their at some stage early next year anyway.

The initial attempts at the backspinning wrong'un have failed miserably, i've got the 100% backspinner now but can't get it to turn back in to the batsman. It is easy to do underarm and i got a couple to do it round arm but overarm it is pretty difficult. If my wrong'un was going well i'd have a go at bowling it from the back of the hand but that it way to inconsistent in its own right at the mo. It maybe that it just needs alot of practice to get the arm to go in the right position as it feels really unnatural.

macca;376339 said:
That is the way to build up revs and increase finger strength. So many of the best legspinners spent hours just spinning the ball hand to hand. Guys like Grimmett, Mailey, Philpott spent hour after hour ,year in year out spinning the ball
Mailey always took his cricket ball to work at his job for the Sydney Water Board and perfected his wrongun against a toilet wall whilst recieving full pay!

thats brilliant all theses big leg spinners always have some weird story about addiction to spinning the ball everywhere like warne with the billiard balls.

for the indoor tomorrow i'm thinking of sticking exclusively to leg breaks and toppies probablly around middle or off to try and prevent the batsman playing straight as the boundary is going to be tiny behind the bowler and concedes loads of runs.

Anyone got any tips for bowling indoor?

Had a little go with an indoor ball tonight for last few overs of nets, need to make sure i don't bowl with sweaty hands tomorrow otherwise it will be a nightmare to grip. Had a good net session with the bat too again so hopefully i don't let myself down on either front tomorrow if my batting is required.

gundalf7;376344 said:
yeah if i do come down for a net i will probablly make a weekend of it to london as i have a few mates down that way anyway, though i may be having interviews for work placements down their at some stage early next year anyway.

The initial attempts at the backspinning wrong'un have failed miserably, i've got the 100% backspinner now but can't get it to turn back in to the batsman. It is easy to do underarm and i got a couple to do it round arm but overarm it is pretty difficult. If my wrong'un was going well i'd have a go at bowling it from the back of the hand but that it way to inconsistent in its own right at the mo. It maybe that it just needs alot of practice to get the arm to go in the right position as it feels really unnatural.

Yeah you wanna watch that - because it suddenly feels like the most natural thing to do and then you're screwed!

gundalf7;376346 said:
for the indoor tomorrow i'm thinking of sticking exclusively to leg breaks and toppies probablly around middle or off to try and prevent the batsman playing straight as the boundary is going to be tiny behind the bowler and concedes loads of runs.

Anyone got any tips for bowling indoor?

Had a little go with an indoor ball tonight for last few overs of nets, need to make sure i don't bowl with sweaty hands tomorrow otherwise it will be a nightmare to grip. Had a good net session with the bat too again so hopefully i don't let myself down on either front tomorrow if my batting is required.

Accuracy is most important indoors. You have to watch the wides. Topspinners are a safe bet and you have to expect the caught and bowled chances. Sometimes what would be a great legbreak outdoors will be deemed wide indoors. A couple of times my son pitched outside the legside wide mark and it spun back to outside the off side wide mark.

Depending how much you spin it, it is better to bowl on the stumps because if it pitches a bit outside off and spins you get pinged with a wide. Leg stump line was what my sons coach had him bowl and it worked really well. Better than if he bowled the same line outdoors.

The ball is lighter and doesn't carry through with the same pace but that can be hard for the batsman as well. It certainly spins though. The indoor match ball we use has a sharp seam when new and tends to cut into the spinning finger if you bowl with it too much, especially if you are a big spinner, the practise balls have not got the same sharp seam.

They muck around with opening the big doors at our venue to help get some breeze to bowl with or against ! Kind of like what the russians did in the 1980 moscow games when they opened the stadium doors to get some tail wind for their javelin throwers.

If you come up against players who dont handle legspin and you have a good keeper you can expect to get your fair share of wickets.

Interschool cricket went good for my kid yesterday, until they had to pull the plug because of the heatwave. He had three overs , 2 maidens, 1 wicket for 4 runs. The 4 came off his last ball which was a full toss on leg stump.
He is still giving the ball too much air but the wicket he took came from a shorter faster ball that the batsman played a pull shot to but swivelled around and trod on his stumps.
I said the heatwave suits legspinners and it must be an advantage having the batsman frying under a helmet rather than wearing a cap. The fast bowlers were had it after a couple of overs and our best fast bowler was dry reaching after his spell.
We will be heading off to club cricket in an hour and it is already warm but we should get the sea breeze this morning. That is the nor'-easter that every legspinner from Horden to Warne loved using. Our best fast bowler is not playing today so my kid might get a few overs.

The boys had their first win of the season today. My kid got 1 for 13 off 4 overs. His figures would have been a lot better but for being hit for 6 off his last ball. The same as yesterday he ended his spell with a full toss, today it got hoiked over cow corner.

He got a wicket with his first ball today, a big legspinner that was edged to the keeper. The keeper dropped another edge off his legbreaks in the next over. He had a good breeze to bowl into today but was still overpitching a bit too much but that is far better than underpitching. His figures are now 19 overs, 4 wickets for 87 runs

It was good toss to win today and our kids bowled first before the real heat of the day, that was a big advantage

shuey_cricket;376545 said:
Steven Smith has been selected to play for Australia in tomorrows 20/20

It will be interesting to see Warnie bowl for the all stars and compare how Smithy goes for the Australian 11 tomorrow night. Smith is bowling really well but it is his batting that has been outstanding the last week. Smith will bowl some flippers, I wonder if warnie will for old time sakes.

macca;376553 said:
It will be interesting to see Warnie bowl for the all stars and compare how Smithy goes for the Australian 11 tomorrow night. Smith is bowling really well but it is his batting that has been outstanding the last week. Smith will bowl some flippers, I wonder if warnie will for old time sakes.

Steve Smith is one bloody good bowler, our young spinners look good (Holland, Smith). We just have to develop them. I also like the leggie from Queensland Dan Doran, bowls the odd bad ball but he really spins it.

damn, i want to see this game!! i dont reckon we will get it in the UK though. someone needs to record it in some way that they can post it on YouTube after!!!

No burn it or the highlights on to a DVD (providing it's compatible with UK systems) and supply us with it for a donation somehow for research purposes if you know what I mean.

water_boy;376563 said:
Steve Smith is one bloody good bowler, our young spinners look good (Holland, Smith). We just have to develop them. I also like the leggie from Queensland Dan Doran, bowls the odd bad ball but he really spins it.

I saw the highlights of Doran v the West Indies and even on that beautiful batting wicket he was spinning big and fast he gives it a real big flick , he will bowl for Australia one day if he keeps improving.
Holland looks like he could be one of our best left hand orthodox spinners ever. That is purely based on his action, it is the best from an Aussie offspinner i can remember. But Smith has his incredible batting to help his selection, last week he put two sixes on top of some the SCG grandstands. They call him a legspinning allrounder. To me that is a worry. I would like if he was a leggie that could bat a bit. Legspinning allrounder reminds me of blokes like Peter Sleep that could bat a bit and bowl a bit.

Benaud was one legspinning allrounder that worked. Cecil Pepper was a great legspinning allrounder who lost his chance to play for Australia when he swore at Bradman after he bowled a series of flippers at Bradman and had lbw turned down. That was 1946 and it came after Grimmett showed Pepper how to bowl a flipper. The theory is Grimmett showed Pepper how to bowl one so it could be used against Bradman in those post war victory games. Pepper was like Steve Smith today, a huge hitter of sixes and considered one of the best players never to play for his country. He had several types of flipper and like Grimmett his least preferred way to bowl it was as the Benaud/Warne backspinner. He used to bowl the overspun flipper and the offbreak flipper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back