Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

yep, legbreak is fine, to make sure i don't lose my legbreak i release the googly alot higher than my legbreak around 12 0 clock, plus the follow thru in straight rather than bringing the arm across with the legbreak.

yeah, the follow through to me was important, it was the follow through that helped me acquire the googly, basically i noticed if i follow through'd with the arm straight down like an inswing bowler it would help the ball come out the back of the hand because of the imaginary straight line formed by the release and follow through. Same with the legbreak as it's more at 10 o clock by follow throuing with the arm going across my i cant possibly flick my wrist the other way, it has to go the same direction as my wrist. Why don't you try it out Dave, basically the follow through of my legbreak is like a outswing delivery, and googly is like a inswing delivery, also opening up my action a bit has also helped me bowl the googly.

Yep, I'm going to look at that as an option to see if it makes a difference. A lot of these little subtle changes do make quite big diffrences to the outcome, so I'll definitely give it a go - cheers!

This is from my blog........

I spent just over half an hour bowling Leg Breaks and it does feel like it is getting easier and feeling more natural. The ball is pretty much straight with a slight deviation and at the moment I'm still not looking to try and put spin on it. I'm still sticking to the plan whereby I'm just happy to be bowling straight and accurately and it's not turning into a Googly, which is what is happening. I intersperse the session with flippers as well and they're coming along nicely too especially as last season I was reluctant to bowl them most of the season. I also noticed tonight that it looks as though because the whole of my bowling action seems to have improved I'm not bowling a lot faster possibly? If I compar where I was at this point last season I reckon there's quite a bit improvement and I reckon if I was to compare now with last July, Aug and Sept there's a marked improvement too!

A bloke on the internet last night (Ripping Legbreak) said this ......

yeah, the follow through to me was important, it was the follow through that helped me acquire the googly, basically i noticed if i follow through'd with the arm straight down like an inswing bowler it would help the ball come out the back of the hand because of the imaginary straight line formed by the release and follow through. Same with the legbreak as it's more at 10 o clock by follow throuing with the arm going across my i cant possibly flick my wrist the other way, it has to go the same direction as my wrist. Why don't you try it out Dave, basically the follow through of my legbreak is like a outswing delivery, and googly is like a inswing delivery, also opening up my action a bit has also helped me bowl the googly.

So while I was bowling I took note of what was happening with my arm as it followed through and found that it did come across the body in a diagonal fashion while I'm trying to bowl Leg Breaks so that seems okay. I also looked at the position of my arm as I wholly agree with the idea that if you're bowling googly's they work better if the arm is dead straight. So I tried to bring the arm lower slightly with the leg break and may look at this in more detail later on as I look to get it to turn more. But in the short term all it did was make my line and length not so accurate - but it may have affected the spin for the better. So that's one for the future?

All in all a good session.

See MPA First Eleven

someblokecalleddave, why dont you stick with the googly, give the canom ball a try and become a Mendis type bowler? That sounds like a real laugh and plays to your strengths.

I wish I could bowl a googly, all I seem to end up bowling are legbreaks. What happened to the "spinning towards you" legbreak that you developed (apologies if you have already mentioned this I have been away from these forums for a while) from Popotts book? It is working well for me.

sounds like its going well dave. How much does everyone think is too much flight i'm a flightly leg spinner and 6ft 2" and i'm starting to get charged way too often and i'm pretty sure its because there is too much air on the ball. Should I be getting the ball just above the batsmans eyeline for a short time or quite a while.

Generally, I think if the batsman can hit your delivery on the full toss its too full. But this also varies on the batsman. If they are sitting on the backfoot all the time then a very flighty delivery can cause them problems whereas if they come onto the front foot alot then a shorter length and flatter delivery is more effective.

Bradman said that if you are to err in length its better to overpitch then underpitch.

dodgylegspinner;272659 said:
Bradman said that if you are to err in length its better to overpitch then underpitch.

Was he trying to convince bowlers to pitch it up to him though :D

If you're getting charged a lot with your loopy ball, fire in a quicker flatter one on occasion to get the batsman thinking twice about getting stumped or the like. You do want him coming forward and trying to drive - but at the same time worried about using his feet too much.

A problem I used to have when I was being charged was ego, in that if a batsman charged me I always wanted to bowl him to make a point and teach him a lesson for his lack of respect ;-). I therefore targeted leg stump looking to spin it into his middle or off stump. This was actually a foolish tactic as it eliminated the wk and even if the batsman missed the ball half the time it hit his pads and in my level of cricket lbw's are only given if its hitting the base of middlestump. However an offstump line in these cases is much more effective as if the batsman misses he can get his body in the way so a half decent keeper will do the rest. Also chargers tend to slog towards the onside so you have more chance of him slicing his shot in the air

Good to hear all the leggies progress, Keep practicing and be Patient. Anyways I wanted to ask something, I've come across some people which bowl legspin by two methods,
1. Using mostly their fingers- Generally more accurate but lesser turn
2. Using mostly their wrist- Generally get more turn but less accuracy.

So i want to ask who here bowls legspin mostly with their fingers, or their wrist. Im the leggie which uses a big wrist flick with not much use of the fingers, and also my googly is delivered by a quicker wrist flick than my legbreak. I'd like to share views and opinions on the mechanics of different ways to release a legbreak.

i'm unusual in the way that I bowl as I use my wrist and my middle finger with my middle finger spinning the ball rather than the third finger but with a big wrist flick as well and i'm fairly accurate.

I may need to work a bit more on flatter leg breaks though bowling a top spinner out wide and getting them stumped would work I guess

hmmm, interesting. Do you use the standard grip, I don't all my fingers except the little finger are close together on the ball, the pinky is not on the ball. Also i think using your fingers might cause you to bowl flatter as the fingers will roll over the ball in a downward direction.

yeah my grip is pretty orthodoxish with 2 up and 2 down but with my fingers spaced a little more a little more like an off break grip but my thumb is off the ball and your right the more you involve the fingers in the action it does drag it down a bit but with my grip the spaced fingers seem to add even more flight, lol

lol, this sounds weird but sometimes when i bowl my third finger really does rip the ball and i can hear a ripping sound coming from the ball from the third finger and afterwards my third finger burns like hell lol, I don't know why this doesen't happen consistently because when the third finger does rip the ball alongside the wrist the ball slices through the air rather than hanging in the air, and thats when i cause problems, I would like to find out how i can do this consistently lol.

Gandalf, I use the a similar grip with the ball sitting between my middle finger and thumb. The middle finger being the one that imparts spin. I always thought that was the way to bowl legspin as everyone said its the "third finger" that rips the ball and to me logically that was counting from the little finger. By the time I figured out I had it completly wrong I had become comfortable with my unorthadox grip. I tried bowling with the conventional grip but it didnt "feel right".

Ripping, using my grip I am probably 80% finger and 20% wrist. However I have a big leg break (which I picked up in part off SomeblokecalledDave's blog-respect) which is all wrist, flighty and beautiful when it comes out right. This is all well and good when bowling to a proper batsman but against some of the charge happy heroes I play against it can be risky. It also turns very slowly and on dampish pitches. I therefore prefer the 80% finger legbreak as I have more control over pace and flight. I also find that when I just use my wrist I dont really involve my left arm or body (I have a chest on action) whereas when I involve my fingers more I can use my body action to get quick turn of pitches but not as much as the wristy legbreak. But as Kumble said "you only need an inch to get an edge". Next April until I can bowl again in a match -aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

dodgylegspinner;272422 said:
someblokecalleddave, why dont you stick with the googly, give the canom ball a try and become a Mendis type bowler? That sounds like a real laugh and plays to your strengths.

I wish I could bowl a googly, all I seem to end up bowling are legbreaks. What happened to the "spinning towards you" legbreak that you developed (apologies if you have already mentioned this I have been away from these forums for a while) from Popotts book? It is working well for me.

The "Spinning towards you" approach as advocated by 'Polpott' (AKA Peter Philpott) That's in the future. I can't remember whether you was one of the doubters, but I still reckon that's the way to go just on the basis of a day when for some strange reason I was able to do it - but have never been able to repeat it since. But the idea is once I've re-wired my brain to bowl Leg Breaks and have that feel totally natural I'll then be hoping to develop the "Big Leg Break" which uses the afore-mentioned technique.

I don't know what the Mendis Canon ball is - but I'll look. With regards the fact that I can bowl googly's there's a few reasons. 1. Is the fact that there's so many people on here with experience and they have all said time and time again it's essential that I can bowl the Leg Break. 2. If I can bowl the Leg Break I'm still pretty damn sure that I'll be able to turn my hand to the googly again. 3. Surely if I can do both it has got to be a massive asset and the Leg Break so far what I'm seeing of it is a vastly different ball for me than the googly, it bounces in such a different way - possibly because my Leg break at the minute has loads of top spin? This mixed with my Flipper will cause problems?

If I can bowl a good leg break, it'll mean I'll have 4 really good variations as I can already bowl very accurate Top Spinners, Flippers and Googly's. I just need to work on the Doosra and my own weird ball 'The Gipper'. I'll check out this Mendis bloke now......

Ripping-LegBreak;272689 said:
Good to hear all the leggies progress, Keep practicing and be Patient. Anyways I wanted to ask something, I've come across some people which bowl legspin by two methods,
1. Using mostly their fingers- Generally more accurate but lesser turn
2. Using mostly their wrist- Generally get more turn but less accuracy.

So i want to ask who here bowls legspin mostly with their fingers, or their wrist. Im the leggie which uses a big wrist flick with not much use of the fingers, and also my googly is delivered by a quicker wrist flick than my legbreak. I'd like to share views and opinions on the mechanics of different ways to release a legbreak.

In the early days when I started learning the googly I used a massive wrist flick technique with a quickish flatter delivery - almost like Mularitharan's Doosra. Later on though with improved accuracy but less turn I used a much softer grip which was less wristy and more finger drag to get the ball spinning. So yeah I'm in agreement with you on this.

Ripping-LegBreak;272695 said:
lol, this sounds weird but sometimes when i bowl my third finger really does rip the ball and i can hear a ripping sound coming from the ball from the third finger and afterwards my third finger burns like hell lol, I don't know why this doesen't happen consistently because when the third finger does rip the ball alongside the wrist the ball slices through the air rather than hanging in the air, and thats when i cause problems, I would like to find out how i can do this consistently lol.

Yep I can relate to this as well - In the process of learning the Leg Break I've noticed that sometimes that third finger is in just the right place and when it is the ball turns so much more! But then when I try and repeat the process I find I then try too hard and drag the ball down. There seems to be a very fine line between getting it right and wrong and as yet I've not really explored what's happening in any depth - again I'm just happy at the minute that the ball spins only slightly in the right direction. With regards the noise I can do that when I'm flicking the ball from hand to hand and it clicks and yeah if I do it loads I get a sore finger.

You've just got to really focus on what's happening - when you arrive at these discoveries, Philpott says again and again in his book that it is essential to concentrate fully and practice with intent and meaning, he says if you don't take it seriously you may as well not bother. The only way you'll get that to work consistently is if you practice and practice and practice and concentrate and evaluate and analyse what you're doing - it'll come. Remember people say that this is the most difficult discipline in cricket so it's never going to be easy. You've only got to look at how many hits this and the Leg Spin thread get and then think of how many of us are actively contributing to this discussion to see how obscure and elitist it is - so many people want to be able to do it, but maybe they don't want to have to put the time in?

I have used the Philpott "spinning towards you" legbreak quite well and it is big flighty legbreak variation. I think when I first started bowling legspin I actually employed that same method but as I didnt really know what I was doing at the time I lost it for a while.

The trick with that legbreak for me is to focus solely on flicking the wrist up towards you. I dont know exactly why it spins but it does

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back