Your favourite XI - not including your country of choice

The Arm Ball

Your favourite XI - not including your country of choice

I'm sure this is a thread that has been done to death, but I'm new here. My only rule on your favourite XI is that it needs to be diverse in country, and cannot include your own country, as in the country that you follow. This isn't necessarily the best 11 players in the world, but your favourite eleven players to watch.

1 - Andrew Strauss (England): A genuine thinker of the game, and I love watching blokes do so well despite not having the big game of their counterparts.

2 - Chris Gayle (West Indies): Its hard not to love him. He's big, he's got awesome hair, and he hits the ball a genuine mile. I love how he makes cricket look so easy sometimes, and my love has grown with how he has answered critics in the latest series.

3 - Jacques Kallis (South Africa): The second best all-rounder of all time in my opinion, with daylight separating both Sobers and he, and then he and third. He really does not get the recognition he deserves

4 - Shivnarine Chanderpaul (West Indies): I would love to read up on stats for most not outs from a number 4 batsman, or most times coming in with their side in trouble - in fact that may be my next blog. He guards his wicket with his life, he makes batting look very hard with his stance, but everything he does works.

5 - Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka) - wk: A genuine class cricketer, and in my opinion an even better wicketkeeper-batsman than Gilchrist...when he keeps.

6 - Ross Taylor (New Zealand) - I'm not really sure why I love him as a cricketer, but I think he will end up being New Zealand's best batsman since Fleming. He definitely has his work cut out for him being a part of that god-awful batting line up.

7 - Tatenda Taibu (Zimbabwe) - He's been through a hell of a lot, and he still comes back and performs for his country. Has done plenty of questionable things, but you have to feel for him. Far from international standard, in my opinion, but he has got plenty of ticker.

8 - Daniel Vettori (New Zealand) (captain) - Just about the complete cricketer. I cannot remember him ever letting his team down, ever. What a performer.

9 - Stuart Broad (England) - For some reason I feel he has the perfect blend of good bloke and total prick. Him and Anderson together will make a very good team. I mainly just want to hear the Barmy Army chant "HE'S BIG, HE'S BAD, HE'S BETTER THAN HIS DAD, HE'S STUART BROAD! STUART BROAD!"

10 - Makhaya Ntini (South Africa) - Always puts in, and always looks like he is having fun. Clearly loves the game, and has fought plenty of adversity to get to where he is.

11 - Chris Martin (New Zealand) - Mainly for batting. I love the way he goes about it with the ball as well. Not even close to the top ten bowlers in the world, but makes the most of what he has, and puts in 100%.

Re: Your favourite XI - not including your country of choice

1. Gautam Gambhir - fantastic opening bat.
2. Alastair Cook - something about him, I love the way he goes about it.
3. Rahul Dravid - as solid as a rock, gun.
4. Kumar Sangakkara - amazing bat, keeper, and tactician.
5. Tillakaratne Dilshan - has the ability to take the game
6. AB de Villiers - absolute star. Versitile and dangerous.
7. Shakib al Hasan - my favourite international cricketer.
8. Daniel Vettori - similar to Shakib, been one of my favourite players for a long time.
9. Stuart Broad - good bowler how can bat a bit. My love for him comes from playing at my local club when he was 18/19.
10. Chaminda Vaas - huge fan. Thought he was a fantastic bowler.
11. Shane Bond - fast, and dangerous. Loved watching him bowl.

Way too much batting - down to 10 really - and every player from 1-6 can put on the gloves. Too much love for keepers and all-rounders.

1.Gayle
2.Sehwag
3.Dilshan
4.Ashraful
5.Afridi
6.Bravo
7.McCullum
8.Vettori
9.Swann
10.Benn
11.Harbhajan

Criteria for selection:
*Is not Shane Watson or Brad Haddin
*Is a mad dogg
*Holds a disregard for authority, convential batting theory, and Shane Watson

Also the pitch is a dustbowl

a for effort;381591 said:
1.Gayle
2.Sehwag
3.Dilshan
4.Ashraful
5.Afridi
6.Bravo
7.McCullum
8.Vettori
9.Swann
10.Benn
11.Harbhajan

Criteria for selection:
*Is not Shane Watson or Brad Haddin
*Is a mad dogg
*Holds a disregard for authority, convential batting theory, and Shane Watson

Also the pitch is a dustbowl

Are you a spinner when you play the game by any chance?

The Arm Ball;381603 said:
Are you a spinner when you play the game by any chance?

I just think spinners just hate Watson the most...

I couldn't find any pacemen with sufficient 'mad-dogg' qualities to usurp any of the bottom 4 positions. Sreesanth would be 12th man I guess.

Boris;381608 said:
I just think spinners just hate Watson the most...

I, like most cricket fans, hated Watson for a long period of time. He has spent a lot of time since the Ashes growing on me - I met him when I went to Cardiff for the first Ashes Test, and he was really nice and approachable. His antics this series undid all his good work, and now I hope he re-does his hammy, his back goes again, and he stops making runs.

I will never forget him saying this after he first started opening in first class cricket, and registered 0, 0, 15, 0, 0.

"I feel like I'm hitting the ball really well."

No Shane, you're not hitting the ball at all...hence all the zeroes.

Watson is probably a quite nice guy if you meat him personally, but on the cricket field it is different. Saying stuff like he will do anything force Hughes out of the side so he can get a spot opening isn't very nice and teambuilding is it?

I decided he was not a nice guy when he publicly announced that he wanted Phil Hughes' spot in the team before there was any talk of him being dropped. I can't think of anyone else in world cricket, even Brad Hodge, who would headhunt the position of a young team mate.

Gayle - coolest man in the game

Sehwag - saw him crack 180 on day one of a boxing day test, hasn't looked back since

Dilshan - has been in one heck of a purple patch *has to drop to 3 as the great man sehwag opening*

JP Duminy - Shoved it up the aussies crack with a great debut

Ross Taylor - Only batsman from our 8th state with much talent

Sangakarra - Quality

Vettori - will be remembered as the greatest all-rounder of our era

Bravo - going with a 2 prong all round attack

Kaneri - need a leg spinner, makes me think of Warneyyyyyyyyyyyyyy <3

Roach - Coool man

Steyn - oh so quick

Sehwag - Love the way he bats.
Gambhir - Another underrated batsman IMO, really like his style of play.
Kallis - Possibly one of the best ever players.
Dilshan - Has been flying as of late.
Gayle - Batting down the order for some big hitting.
Sangakarra + - IMO, the most consistent WK bat of my time.
Al Hasan - IMO is genuine quality.
Broad - A bowler who can bat.
Steyn - Has been very good over the last 2 seasons.
Roach - Going with some heat here.
Malinga - Some more genuine heat.

12th - Pieterson

In the batting department, it is pretty aggressive, but in there are some solid players. Gayle, Sehwag and Dilshan can hit, while Gambhir, Kallis and Sangakarra can chalk up some major runs.

I have two all rounders in Al-Hasan and Kallis, as Kallis would be in my team as a batsman anyway.

With the bowling I've gone for some genuine 145km/h+ bowlers in Roach, Malinga and Steyn. While broad can hit the deck. Bowling order:

Steyn
Malinga
Roach
Broad
Hasan
Kallis

Fair bowling attack.

1.Gayle
2.Smith
3.Flynn
4.Taylor
5.Sangakarra
6.Duminy
7.Al Hansan
8.Bravo
9.Tuffey
10.Bond
11.Steyn

1.) G. Smith (C): Great leader of men, tactically astute, thinks outside of the square and is rock solid at the top of the order.
2.) C. Gayle: Widely taken out of context with his comments on test cricket. Can tear any attack apart with the most breathtaking power. Good West Aussie boy to boot.:D
3.) K. Sangakarra: Stylish and all class with the bat and gloves. Best Sri Lankan player ever.
4.) J. Kallis: The finest all rounder since Gary Sobers by a long, long way. Nuff said.
5). J.P. Duminy: The most impressive debut knock in my memory. Class act with a sound technique and terrific temperament. Part time spinners are very handy.
6.) A. B. de Villiers: Saves 20 runs an innings in the field. Shores up the SA middle order with terrific technique and outstanding mental toughness.
7.) A. Flintoff: Bowls at 140km+, can swing it Irish, and then blast any attack out of the park with power and grace. ( Yes I know he has retired).
8.) D. Vettori (vc): Great spinner on any deck. Can tie up an end for the quicks to attack or use his great control and variation to terrorise the best of batsmen.
9.) D. Steyn: Has that bit of mongrel in him that all of the great quicks have. Super quick, aggressive and can swing the willow with great effect.
10.) J. Anderson: Terrific bowler, when on song, who can swing it both ways at 140km+. Not the worst tailender
11.) I. Sharma: Anyone who can make Ponting his bitch just has to be a quality bowler.:cool: Seriously, a very, very good bowler.

Back