Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

what age group and how many games? What type of games and what is a par score and what number did you bat?
Senior ( we only have senior im 14) 8 games in which 6 bowled and 4 batted a par score for a batsman is about 19-20 id say but i bat from 8-11

Watching Warne's action side on there is no rock back at all. Not quite sure why the booklet says anything about rocking back, might have been relating to off spin.
Rocking back should not be recommended for any spinners, bad for the back and knees as well as not adding anything to your bowling.

Ajmal's rock back is the only one I can think of from a successful spinner but it doesn't seem necessary for his bowling especially when you see Saqlain Mushtaq's action.

My guess is they just copy and pasted it from a seam bowlers pamphlet

Sorry for spamming out the thread a little.

What should I be thinking about when bowling on a turf wicket compared to an synthetic wicket? For example, quicker, slower, loopier, fuller etc.

What should I be thinking about when bowling on a turf wicket compared to an synthetic wicket? For example, quicker, slower, loopier, fuller etc.

It depends a lot on the age of the surface. Some synthetic pitches have more bounce than others and some older ones have worn down a fair bit. In general, they tend to bounce a bit more and have reasonable pace. I tend to look to get it quite full and with a decent bit of overspin on the ball.

As for the other issue. I've never heard advice about rocking back. It seems odd for your momentum to move backwards at any point in your action. The advice you were given about standing tall and upright is the way to go I think.

grass pitches are generally slower and lower with more movement.

The general rule is, the quicker the pitch, the slower you bowl. So bowl slightly quicker and let the pitch do the work.

I dont think you should rock back if i do i bowl full tosses or short ones
Yep, I'm standing tall now. I always come back every season with some silly idiosyncrasy that makes no sense, happy I got rid of it.

grass pitches are generally slower and lower with more movement.

The general rule is, the quicker the pitch, the slower you bowl. So bowl slightly quicker and let the pitch do the work.

Thanks.

First game of the season done and dusted. We lost with a team of fill ins against what would be called the 'average' team of the grade on an artificial concrete based wicket.

We struggled to 140 in 35 overs (they bowled a lot of wides) and they crawled past in 45 overs while losing 8 wickets on the way.

More than happy with my effort, 10-3-16-2, but I was definitely short of practice as I couldn't pries out more wickets (too much coaching, not enough practicing!). Both wickets were left handers:
  • The first was a stumping after a set up with a series of looping leg breaks and then a wide slider straight past a charging and very confused batsman
  • Second wicket was a series of flat leg breaks before a looping hard spun leg break went through the gate of an attempted cover drive.
Damn sore now as I landed heavily while taking a diving 2 hander to my left, landed very heavily as I hadn't done that in a long time!

First game of the season done and dusted. We lost with a team of fill ins against what would be called the 'average' team of the grade on an artificial concrete based wicket.

We struggled to 140 in 35 overs (they bowled a lot of wides) and they crawled past in 45 overs while losing 8 wickets on the way.

More than happy with my effort, 10-3-16-2, but I was definitely short of practice as I couldn't pries out more wickets (too much coaching, not enough practicing!). Both wickets were left handers:
  • The first was a stumping after a set up with a series of looping leg breaks and then a wide slider straight past a charging and very confused batsman
  • Second wicket was a series of flat leg breaks before a looping hard spun leg break went through the gate of an attempted cover drive.
Damn sore now as I landed heavily while taking a diving 2 hander to my left, landed very heavily as I hadn't done that in a long time!

Batsman sees loopy deliveries, decides to charge down the pitch.

Eh?

Batsman sees loopy deliveries, decides to charge down the pitch.

Eh?
Yep, his decision that maybe I wasn't bluffing was strange to say the least, guess he hasn't faced too much spin before? I probably should have given him the shot though as after that they tried to dead bat nearly everything.

Still a good workout but I can barely move at the moment.

I want to talk about something that ive se en in some spinner. Especially Pakistan spinners, ive se en Abdul qadir , zulfiqar Babar ( new spinner search on YouTube) and Imran tahir ( he was coached by Abdul qadir) and i saw that they dont rotate/pivot their body especially zulfiqar Babar it seems like he is only bowling with his arm but he still gets pace drift dip and spin while bowling?

I want to talk about something that ive se en in some spinner. Especially Pakistan spinners, ive se en Abdul qadir , zulfiqar Babar ( new spinner search on YouTube) and Imran tahir ( he was coached by Abdul qadir) and i saw that they dont rotate/pivot their body especially zulfiqar Babar it seems like he is only bowling with his arm but he still gets pace drift dip and spin while bowling?

It doesn't matter what your body does, all that matters is how the ball comes out of your hand.

babar.jpg
looks fairly side on to me (Babar)

Abdul Qadir rotates his body and pivots so much he nearly falls over, just because he's slightly chest on doesn't mean there's no pivot
Imran Tahir definitely has a pivot.
Zulfiqar Babar doesn't look like he's pivoting due to the big angle he comes in from but he does have one, his pivot takes him from going at 45 degrees to the wicket to following through so he ends up chest on.

'Pivot' means the 'twist' over the front foot to move the hips around, sometimes this means going from 45 degrees to the wicket to chest on and sometimes from side on through 180 degrees. The 'ideal' pivot is different for different bowling actions.

The worst thing is that i always bowled with a 180° pivot thinking that i will get more spin drift and dip. Yesterday i bowled with out a pivot and i had more consistent mine length. Not sure if il going to change my action though

Back