1st Test: Pakistan vs West Indies at Lahore

Re: 1st Test: Pakistan vs West Indies at Lahore

Chandu, the talk here by some is that he needs to beef up his diet. His problems with cramping are a little too frequent to dismiss lightly. We have an excellent physiotherapist on the team -Stephen Partridge- so the culprit could likely be a diet too low in potassium, calcium and sodium - an imbalance of any of these could contribute to an onset of muscle cramps. Some here say he's a vegetarian but I don't know that for a fact, ...but based on observation (and as I said I'm not the only one who thinks this) diet is probably a factor.

Another thing he is not too good at is pacing himself. During the recent ODI semi final with SA, while Gayle would often calmly make his runs careful not to over exert himself, Shiv tended to sprint off the crease as if he's in the olympic 100 metre. Glad he managed 81 in the second innings of the first test with Pakistan but at times you wondered if he had the strength to go the distance. He needs to be more mindful of how he conserves his energy on the pitch so he doesn't burn out.

Being a vegetarian (if at all he is) should not be a problem with cramping. It seems more like this is a problem brought on by his specific version of whatever (vegetarian) diet. There have been tons of vegetarian cricket players in the past, but didn't suffer from such chronic cramps. He can load himself up with beans, soy, high-protein nuts like almonds/peanuts, quality dairy products and on and on. Calcium defeciency shouldn't be a problem if he regulates milk product intake properly.

Anyway, in general your assessment about not pacing the innings is correct. Why he needs to run like that, I have no idea. This is where proper coaching comes in.

Talking of stupid running, Ganga got stupidly run out in the 2nd inning. I haven't watched the highlights, but who was to blame for that stupidity? Was it Gayle or Ganga?

I agree with you re diet. But question always has been whether or not he's eating right or making the right choices when it comes to diet even if he's vegetarian. Also, coaching put aside, Shiv should surely know by now how to pace himself and conserve energy in an innings, after all he is an experienced batsman. It boggles the mind,..

In second inning, Gayle took the risk but Ganga was pretty much to blame, he ran back a little too casually to crease and paid for it.

Back