2009 Season Targets:

Re: 2009 Season Targets:

Can't say...........maybe some of the players batting earlier than KP must be personal fav's of the captain or coach...
This is the scenario in most of our clubs where good players are over looked in return of personal fav's...

Liz Ward;343100 said:
Interesting but all these targets are outcome orientated. As these can be affected by others, they are not really under your control and can be self defeating if you find yourselves mid season with no prospect of reaching your set targets due to outside factors. If these targets are set so low that you have no problem achieving them, regardless of others, they are not real targets.

You should be setting yourselves targets/goals that are process orientated. Performance profiling is an excellent way to make sure you set the right goals for improvement. They help you specify what needs to be done in order to improve elements of performance. These goals are excellent for you to take into each match as they remove any thought of the consequences of good or poor performances.
Process-orientated goals in our sport are difficult, because by definition you require a measurable outcome in order to evaluate effectively. Granted the outcomes are to an extent dependent on others, but there is little alternative.

A bowler may resolve to turn the ball more, or a batsman to improve his playing of leg-glances, but unless the effectiveness of these improvements are measurable (be in it economy rates, or wickets, or runs, or not outs, or one of any other number of statistics) then they are somewhat vague and unsatisfactory.

Virendersingh.berthwal;343250 said:
Can't say...........maybe some of the players batting earlier than KP must be personal fav's of the captain or coach...
This is the scenario in most of our clubs where good players are over looked in return of personal fav's...

Hit.Nail.Head.

Basically, because I've only been playing 2 seasons I'm overlooked in favour of others who've been playing for a while and are close friends with the captain. I'm hoping I impressed the B Team skipper last night though, he was bowling to me, and I was hitting the ball as well as ever. If I'm still batting at 9 or 10 after that, then it's purely favouritism. My batting record may not be great, but I know I'm good enough to be batting at 5 or 6 in the B Team, but am often overlooked for the older fellas who have been playing for years. Quite frustrating, I'll stick with it though.

Bowler, open more often than not for the B Team, but am constantly improving. I'd be well annoyed if I was a batsman and batting at 9 or 10 :p

Yeah, that was what I was thinking, haha.

Yeah, I hate it when your captain is biased. I was playing for my school team a couple of years ago and the captain constantly put me at 8, even though I'm not a bowler. I'm a batting allrounder. So throughout the season I was at 8, without an opportunity to prove myself. He didn't bowl me either. :( Worst season ever.

I batted higher in the first few games of my first season than I did last year. I opened for the Academy side in my first season for quite a few games, but the highest I batted last year was 4, and that was once and I made 9. I batted at 11 twice and the rest of the time I was at 9 or 10 meaning I either didn't get a bat or had to slog in the last 2-3 overs, not good. Least I was bowling though.

Yeah, in the season I batted just the once and made 5*. It was school cricket though, so it wasn't a huge deal.

Well, as I only play school cricket now, my aim is to make more than 15 runs in tommorows game (if it goes ahead) if it doesn't, our team is then going to the district finals :)

Will let you all know how i go if we play

KP,
Do u get more chances to bat in the nets compared to last season.
If u do then u have an opportunity to impress the B-team captain.

Virender

Well, in the nets at our club we just basically volunteer ourselves to bat, and I've been making sure I get in fairly early to get a decent bat, and on Sunday I had a decent session and think I definitely impressed. I'm not sure what happened with my batting on Sunday. I've been doing some pretty basic practise in the garden, throwing a tennis ball against a wall, standing 10 or so yards away and just playing shots, and it seems to have helped somehow. I just seemed to keep things simple in the nets on Sunday and it worked, and the ball was flying off the middle, which was a great feeling.

Just have to see how the season goes, if I keep batting like that, and maybe get some runs on Sunday if I get the chance, then you never know where I'll be batting next season. Hopefully I'll keep batting nicely!

Well guys, I got my 15 runs today, got out to a cracking catch in the slips, and my team will play again in the finals :)

I want to hit 20 next game.

Normally 4-5, but I was 6th that day to give someone else a go more up the order ( Failed miserably though :p) My problem is that as I play 20-20, I just go out swinging, and even though I generally make a decent score quickly (about 20ish), I struggle to last a long time (30+ balls)

Well, we had a very important game at school today, as the winner of this game would go to metropolitan finals.

We batted first and scored a very, very good total ( best score all year) against a great bowling team, including a 91 n.o by a batter, I only got 10 off 5, but I went out being told to slog it.

Anyway, our team isn't particulary serious, but this was some of the best cricket I have ever been apart of. The encouragement from team-mates was sensational, every ball got a nice comment, and In the end we won (3 catches and a run out by yours truly) and for the first time in our schools history, we are the first team to get this far, and for a school as sporty as ours, thats a big achievement.

Unspinable.

Congrats US on ur school match victory..
Good performance on ur fielding..
Did u had some bowling opportunities..
For which school and location are u playing..
All best for the Finals...

300+ runs and 20+ wickets like last season will do me. Hoping not to drop a catch all season as well, I do believe that is attainable I'll catch anything in the outfield it's just when I go in close in front of the batsmen the problems come.

Back