2014/2015 Barclay Shield

Then the world has gone mad! I'd much rather play alongside ex Prem 1s players earning good coin, than a 22-23yr old journeyman who would be lucky to be getting a game getting payed a small sum (~1-2k maybe??). I hate to think that the culture of entitlement from getting paid to play local football would be filtering into local cricket. Cricket clubs don't have the turnover to be paying battlers like myself.

From experience, NFL footy sides are competing for the same players from mainly 3 other comps. Eastern, Essendon & to a lesser extent Riddell football leauge. This drives player prices through the roof as on 95% of occasions, there will be at least one club willing to meet the demands.

At least with cricket, players who tend to move only within the comp and i think it's a fallacy that it's money driven. It may be a small component, but in most cases it's more an opportunity to play with mates or for opportunity to play a better standard of cricket. People like to talk about money but the reality is 99% of us on here are just guessing...........

Just thinking out loud.

Does the mentioned Whittlesea Cricketer have anything to do with the footy club?
Who is the coach of the Whittlesea football club?
Does that coach have links to the Bundoora Cricket club.

All the pieces are coming together.....

Just thinking out loud.

Does the mentioned Whittlesea Cricketer have anything to do with the footy club?
Who is the coach of the Whittlesea football club?
Does that coach have links to the Bundoora Cricket club.

All the pieces are coming together.....

No
Me
Yes

From experience, NFL footy sides are competing for the same players from mainly 3 other comps. Eastern, Essendon & to a lesser extent Riddell football leauge. This drives player prices through the roof as on 95% of occasions, there will be at least one club willing to meet the demands.

At least with cricket, players who tend to move only within the comp and i think it's a fallacy that it's money driven. It may be a small component, but in most cases it's more an opportunity to play with mates or for opportunity to play a better standard of cricket. People like to talk about money but the reality is 99% of us on here are just guessing...........

Whilst I do agree with your thoughts that for the most part, people are looking else where for a variety of reasons - unhappy at current club, ability to coach/captain, play with mates, not just money. But you cannot tell me that reasonable A Grade players that are changing clubs are taking pay cuts, or staying on the same amount they are currently on.

Are you sure there are not some smoke and mirrors being thrown up here? It all seems pretty connected.
Think you will find more of a connection with a current Bundoora cricketer/Eagle footy player who was also recruited from a B grade club.

Are you sure there are not some smoke and mirrors being thrown up here? It all seems pretty connected.
Think you will find more of a connection with a current Bundoora cricketer/Eagle footy player who was also recruited from a B grade club.

Whilst I do agree with your thoughts that for the most part, people are looking else where for a variety of reasons - unhappy at current club, ability to coach/captain, play with mates, not just money. But you cannot tell me that reasonable A Grade players that are changing clubs are taking pay cuts, or staying on the same amount they are currently on.

I'm not saying they aren't, the simple answer is i don't know. You'd have a better idea than i would, we've only "recruited" one bloke from another DVCA club in the last 10 years that i can think of (not counting returning BCC players). I am sure i will be corrected but that's all i can come up with at the moment.

Spend enough time in Whittlesea and you will find that somewhere along the line everyone knows everyone!!

It actually worked the other way, in the past the footy club were able to recruit some quality young footballers from the cricket club due to the connection. Unfortunately none of those boys play cricket anymore :thumbsd:

Anyone from Lower Eltham like to comment on what Cal Still is up to for next season? Rumours persist he'll be elsewhere next season.

Anyone from Lower Eltham like to comment on what Cal Still is up to for next season? Rumours persist he'll be elsewhere next season.

I've heard that he will be coaching Eltham next season. Scott Gibbs has been sacked after his failure to get Eltham back to Barclay Shield.

Unfortuantely it is. My belief is that you should pay your coach, your captain and then any star/marquee signings that you attract to your club, not 22/23 year old list fillers that think they should be getting paid because they play a game in A grade.

If I put my hand out at my club when I was 23 I would have been told to f*** off.

But that's where things have changed, I wouldn't have put my hand out, kids these days have got no problem doing it.
Could not agree with this anymore, I never got paid in my younger days, even if I felt I was worthy I would have had the decency and respect to wait for my club to decide I was.

Last edited:
Could not agree with this anymore, I never got paid in my younger days, even if I felt I was worthy I would have had the decency and respect to wait for my club to decide I was.

I don't really agree with it, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Wasnt there a post by riverside that he or was it someone else had decided to stay? Not sure if it has been taken down now.
Don't know about that, but enquired with Riverside about a bit of remuneration and was told nothing was available. That's more than daylight compared with what NEW offered. Also led to believe that he had a meeting with Plenty, but no financial offer was made. Great get for the Wanderers!

Don't know about that, but enquired with Riverside about a bit of remuneration and was told nothing was available. That's more than daylight compared with what NEW offered. Also led to believe that he had a meeting with Plenty, but no financial offer was made. Great get for the Wanderers!

200 runs and 17 wickets, they must be odds on favourites now!

Trav Baker? Watch this space, more to play out I reckon! Will change his mind more times than Luke Morgan bowls a straight one! By the way good one N.E.W. Those stats deserve $10 grand! Going nowhere in a hurry!(good sentence for a song) .

200 runs and 17 wickets, they must be odds on favourites now!
Good luck to him mate. 17 wickets in 9 games at 16. Should give a very good account of himself in Money, and will strengthen NEWs bowling. Bit harsh on his batting too, Averaged almost 30 with the bat. How many blokes at Banyule averaged over 30 in Money this season?

Back