2014/2015 Barclay Shield

Was just point of discussion. But it appears pretty unaminous that its a shit idea. Just seems stupid to me that we have adopted bowling restrictions and not fielding restrictions.

I'm backing you up here. Should have been introduced years ago. There is no doubt if we are playing a one dayer, that bowling AND fielding restrictions are a must.

But, as someone said before, it'd be a nightmare for the DVCA umpires to control, considering the competency of the majority of them. Just imagine the issues, anyone remember when the most experience umpire in the comp let a game start with the wrong coloured ball last year?

I'm backing you up here. Should have been introduced years ago. There is no doubt if we are playing a one dayer, that bowling AND fielding restrictions are a must.

But, as someone said before, it'd be a nightmare for the DVCA umpires to control, considering the competency of the majority of them. Just imagine the issues, anyone remember when the most experience umpire in the comp let a game start with the wrong coloured ball last year?

Another very good idea from the armchair critics of the DVCA, did someone just bag the umpires again?? Oh no, let's just throw quips and barbs at blokes doing their bit to keep the game going (without them, what do we have??) instead of doing something about it. Has this idea been mentioned to any clubs executive to take to the DVCA as a possible rule change, or is it like the rest of the ideas written on here - just create more dribble and then complain when nothing is done about it.

A very hard thing to police is to have the rings marked on the grounds - it is hard enough for clubs to have the lines on the pitches marked each week, let alone an extra ring around the perimeter, doesn't even get done at 80% of grounds for T20 matches.

Another very good idea from the armchair critics of the DVCA, did someone just bag the umpires again?? Oh no, let's just throw quips and barbs at blokes doing their bit to keep the game going (without them, what do we have??) instead of doing something about it. Has this idea been mentioned to any clubs executive to take to the DVCA as a possible rule change, or is it like the rest of the ideas written on here - just create more dribble and then complain when nothing is done about it.

Well you're a club president, consider it suggested to you. We all look forward to hearing about how it goes when you bring it up. Now we're not armchair critics and somethings been done about it.

A very hard thing to police is to have the rings marked on the grounds - it is hard enough for clubs to have the lines on the pitches marked each week, let alone an extra ring around the perimeter, doesn't even get done at 80% of grounds for T20 matches.

I apologise, I didn't realise that wanting the comp to play one day games with proper one day rules made me an "armchair critic".

Is it too much to expect that there are people already involved at association level and club level that would be able to come up with such ground breaking innovation?

I apologise, I didn't realise that wanting the comp to play one day games with proper one day rules made me an "armchair critic".

Is it too much to expect that there are people already involved at association level and club level that would be able to come up with such ground breaking innovation?

Thanks for the apology.

Sure there are, the same ones who came up with the idea of deliberately lowering bowling standards by imposing over limits in one-dayers.

Sure there are, the same ones who came up with the idea of deliberately lowering bowling standards by imposing over limits in one-dayers.
I guess it goes to show, for everyone that derides an idea there is probably one that supports it.
I like over limits, because it forces teams to pick a balanced side. ie you shouldn't have the hurst brothers bowling 20 overs each.

I guess it goes to show, for everyone that derides an idea there is probably one that supports it.
I like over limits, because it forces teams to pick a balanced side. ie you shouldn't have the hurst brothers bowling 20 overs each.

Yes, the comp went through all the pro and con arguments several times over the years before bowling restrictions were finally passed.
I would note, however, that I never heard a reasonable or plausible argument in favour of bowling restrictions which did not also apply to batting restrictions.

Yes. Just look how long it took for bowling restrictions to come in and I remember rumblings about that years ago and it probably wasn't the first time it had come up.

Yes, the comp went through all the pro and con arguments several times over the years before bowling restrictions were finally passed.
I would note, however, that I never heard a reasonable or plausible argument in favour of bowling restrictions which did not also apply to batting restrictions.
There are batting restrictions. One you're out, that's the end of your innings!

Any truth to a certain N. Gardiner verbally committing to play up at Bundoora United, to then get lost on the way to the ground to sign contracts, ended up at the wrong Bundoora, and thought screw it, ill sign here. To be honest, you've dodged a bullet.

And Bundoora are building a pretty handy B grade side.

Looks like the bullet ricocheted off Loyola and flew past Yulong.... all the way back to Whittlesea...

Back