2014/2015 Barclay Shield

Spending like this, if true, is not going to be sustainable in the long term. Either the general playing group will revolt, leave the club, or the cash will run out. I touched on this before about an increasing arms race that is likely to break out. Clubs who can't keep pace with such spending shouldn't even try because as I mentioned, success of your first XI isn't the only measure of a successful cricket club.

PremiersAgain is right, clubs do need a sustainable business model but I think it's important for clubs to remember that doesn't include winning flags. Sure, it's nice, but when you get right down to it, the winning of a bit of felt doesn't keep the lights on, the bills paid, cricket balls in the locker or the playing group at the oval.

Thank god we have a massive chunck of our senior squad as home grown juniors in the mould of diamond creek c.c.

I think as we have seen in most local sport, when the money drys up so does the loyalty. Paying 30k odd a year is not sustainable and sets a shit precident to your home grown boys.

If you make money it needs to be invested wisely.... Whether it be on coaches, equipment, players or facilities the committee of the day are responsible to leave their own legacy so you wouldn't want to be known as the committee who ************ the club

I don't like the doing a runner comment, the guy won that club 2 flags as their Captain so in my opinion he owes plenty absolutely nothing. Paid players are there to perform as well as they can, clubs pay players at the risk of them leaving, performing poorly or not gelling , however you also do it with the hope they give you value for money that season. Good luck to Riverside , well run club who have never paid anyone other than there captain/ coaches over the years.

So Baker, Doyle, Smale and O'Connor are all playing for $0 next season.

In the words of Andrew Gaze:

Turn it up pal.

If my club parachuted 3 blokes in and it cost me my spot I'd get my nose out. But for the other 8 blokes it'll be great to play with these guys. I've played with a couple of very good pros and it's always a thrill. wonder for how many years they can afford it. My main criticism is they have spent 35k and not bought any batsmen!

Thank god we have a massive chunck of our senior squad as home grown juniors in the mould of diamond creek c.c.

I think as we have seen in most local sport, when the money drys up so does the loyalty. Paying 30k odd a year is not sustainable and sets a shit precident to your home grown boys.

If you make money it needs to be invested wisely.... Whether it be on coaches, equipment, players or facilities the committee of the day are responsible to leave their own legacy so you wouldn't want to be known as the committee who ************ the club
Because you would know nothing about setting a shit president to your home grown boys. The amount of mercenaries over the years that have gone through the gates at Plenty, while kicking the home grown talent to the side is shitful. So don't go around cocking off about setting good examples, your club as a whole hasn't exactly been in top nick over the last few years because of this, failing to be able to field a 3rd side at one stage last year. Get over the fact that someone's leaving your club, you've been raiding clubs for years. Hypocrite.

Because you would know nothing about setting a shit president to your home grown boys. The amount of mercenaries over the years that have gone through the gates at Plenty, while kicking the home grown talent to the side is shitful. So don't go around cocking off about setting good examples, your club as a whole hasn't exactly been in top nick over the last few years because of this, failing to be able to field a 3rd side at one stage last year. Get over the fact that someone's leaving your club, you've been raiding clubs for years. Hypocrite.
Get of the pipe mate....

Who has been a mercanary over the journey at plenty?? I can't think of any recruits who have come and taken the coin and moved on to a bigger pay check. Actually sorry I can think of one... People come to our club and stay....

So Baker, Doyle, Smale and O'Connor are all playing for $0 next season.

In the words of Andrew Gaze:

Turn it up pal.
Smale has actually never been paid in his whole career barring the last 2 seasons as coach and Oconnor went to Riverside of his own bat and isn't being paid . Can't comment on the other two because I actually don't know! I love how everyone believes that every decent cricketer in the comp gets paid. There are guys that do play for nothing! Otherwise this is a pointless conversation were every player at every club obviously gets paid!

Back