2014/2015 Barclay Shield

Because you would know nothing about setting a shit president to your home grown boys. The amount of mercenaries over the years that have gone through the gates at Plenty, while kicking the home grown talent to the side is shitful. So don't go around cocking off about setting good examples, your club as a whole hasn't exactly been in top nick over the last few years because of this, failing to be able to field a 3rd side at one stage last year. Get over the fact that someone's leaving your club, you've been raiding clubs for years. Hypocrite.

How many of the following were a product of Plenty?
Johnson
Vimpani
Pavey
Hubber
Love
Connelley
Sra
Bond
Amalfi
Barclay
Salpigtidis
Green

Last edited:
Smale has actually never been paid in his whole career barring the last 2 seasons as coach and Oconnor went to Riverside of his own bat and isn't being paid . Can't comment on the other two because I actually don't know! I love how everyone believes that every decent cricketer in the comp gets paid. There are guys that do play for nothing! Otherwise this is a pointless conversation were every player at every club obviously gets paid!

Not disputing that there are decent cricketers that play for nothing in the comp draught. Trust me I know that, and I also know there are some that stay loyal to a club and play for a lot less than they could at other clubs.

I was merely responding to the fact that you had assured everyone that Riverside has only EVER paid their Captain and Coach, no one else.

Do you think (or know) if that will be the case this coming season?

Not disputing that there are decent cricketers that play for nothing in the comp draught. Trust me I know that, and I also know there are some that stay loyal to a club and play for a lot less than they could at other clubs.

I was merely responding to the fact that you had assured everyone that Riverside has only EVER paid their Captain and Coach, no one else.

Do you think (or know) if that will be the case this coming season?
Not sure about this season only going on what I've been told. I'd be surprised if they aren't paying others now, but the Oconnor and Smale situation I do know!

Johnson
Vimpani
Pavey
Hubber
Love
Connelley
Sra
Bond
Amalfi
Barclay
Salpigtidis
Green
What is the relevance of this list?
Just about everyone on that list has been at the club for over 10 years...

Vimpani plays veterans, you peanut has had nothing to do with the senior club.

And as I've stated earlier one bloke on that list was the worst mistake our club has ever made...

What is the relevance of this list?
Just about everyone on that list has been at the club for over 10 years...

Vimpani plays veterans, you peanut has had nothing to do with the senior club.

And as I've stated earlier one bloke on that list was the worst mistake our club has ever made...

I was only asking a question,which you have chosen not to answer,but chosen to call me a peanut instead lol.

Comparing a club such as plenty whose success lies more to the fact that you have recruited/paid players and done so well,as opposed to Diamo who have hardly had any recruits but relied on their home grown talent is laughable.
And you called me a peanut!

Johnson
Vimpani
Pavey
Hubber
Love
Connelley
Sra
Bond
Amalfi
Barclay
Salpigtidis
Green
I think a decent amount of those guys have contributed quite a bit off the field as well as on and continue to do so, which probably negates the fact that they may not have started the careers there. Probably the bigger issue for Plenty and I think they are well aware, is the fact that they had a Barclay and C grade side, followed by a 1 day side. They need to field another one or 2 teams to build depth.

Wow, some mud slinging going on here over the last week.

I agree that culture dictates whether a player stays and what they give to your club while they are with you is up to what the club puts in place.

Not all players can be home grown, as the talent pools of some clubs is very small, for us, to have Bundoora, Greensborough, OP's, Macleod, Riverside all within 3k's and all clubs targeting the same schools makes it hard to have a pool of kids coming through, and makes keeping the kids (increasingly difficult) with other sports and opportunities, so very important, and is why we will continue to push time, money and effort in to our junior program.

So yes, clubs (us included) go out and try and recruit local talent from other clubs, (very rare that 1st XI blokes walk off the street) but we are not in the position to throw huge $$$ at anyone, so we need to have other things to offer, and it is then the clubs job to pick blokes of good character and not just ability, as you need them to offer something off field, as well as on it, as these blokes are more likely to stick around for longer.

As for getting imports, if the budget is worked out and the club can afford it, I see nothing wrong with getting a top up player of standard, and we may have been lucky with Perera and Razaq in previous years, as you have no idea what is coming off the plane, but both these blokes also put a lot back in to our club and are still in contact with us.

Agree with Reverend that the pressure is on us at BU this year, we have had a lean run in finals over the past 15 years, as mentioned, 1 appearance for 1 flag in the second tier, (although Riverside have only had 3 semi finals (all losses) appearances in the same time) but we are determined to stay up again, and see the steps we made this year, being 5-2 at the break, and learning from the errors made from there, that we can be more than competitive, and I would say that the pressure is on not just us, but all Barclay and Money sides with the new restructure coming in, and although it would add more pressure, would like to see the top grade actually reverted to an 8 team grade, but that argument is for another day, so it is a massive year for all clubs.

Good luck to the 'siders this year, it may add extra pressure, but I am sure that if these 3 blokes come knocking on any doors in the Valley, even Plenty, that the clubs would be bending over backwards to secure them to 1 or 2 year deals. What is does to the long term outlook of the club (if others leave through lack of opportunity - not the Riverside way though) could be interesting, but short term wow!!!

I think a decent amount of those guys have contributed quite a bit off the field as well as on and continue to do so, which probably negates the fact that they may not have started the careers there. Probably the bigger issue for Plenty and I think they are well aware, is the fact that they had a Barclay and C grade side, followed by a 1 day side. They need to field another one or 2 teams to build depth.
Thank you Brutal that was my point exactly. I did not play juniors at Plenty but have been there for 13 years now and I wouldn't consider myself to be anything but a Plenty person today.

We are under no illusion whatsoever that the more juniors we have graduating to play senior cricket the better. Which majority of our 1st XI this season was:
Steve Villani
Mitch Johnson
Dan Cocking
Andy Villani
Chris Villani
Dayne Smith
Louis Smith
James Spinks
James Norman
and one other bloke was as well but lets not go there...

My point has and always has been its not sustainable to pay big bucks year in year out... We have been bloody lucky over the years to attract good players but the great thing is all majority of these blokes didn't keep putting their hands out asking for more money. Majority of them played for nothing after they had been there for a couple of years.

The perception that we spent millions to have a decade of success is a complete fallacy.... but if you believe that's what we did then i hope your club follows that blueprint... should be a winner..........

Thank god we have a massive chunck of our senior squad as home grown juniors in the mould of diamond creek c.c.

A massive chunk of your 22 players is from your juniors, congratulations that's definitely something to boast about. How can you compare yourself to DC when they regularly have 6 teams each year and have won A grade premierships due to a strong junior program and being able to keep a lot of their junior players at the club. Without stumping up a shit load of cash year after year your club wouldn't have won an A grade premiership in the last 15 years. Your club has no doubt had some strong junior sides over the past 10 years but your player retention is clearly woeful if you can only stump together 2 proper senior sides. Give it a rest buddy, your club is well and truly in the shit and won't be improving any time soon.

Not to mention
Mccutheon
Salvatore
Sleeman
Wellington
Add to that
Trinder
Ward
Turnbull
Not to mention
Mccutheon
Salvatore
Sleeman
Wellington
Not to mention Trinder Turnbull and Ward. Truth of the matter is champ, you cooked your juniors while in turn cooking your club as a whole. So well done you bought a few flags, bet it feels good looking back now at all the blokes that put in years of hard yards at the club to achieve it and are no longer around along with the blokes you burnt along the way. Keep dreaming of Diamond Creek champ, before you know it their 3rds and 4ths will moving in and taking over an empty Plenty Park.

I agree that culture dictates whether a player stays and what they give to your club while they are with you is up to what the club puts in place.

Not all players can be home grown, as the talent pools of some clubs is very small, for us, to have Bundoora, Greensborough, OP's, Macleod, Riverside all within 3k's and all clubs targeting the same schools makes it hard to have a pool of kids coming through, and makes keeping the kids (increasingly difficult) with other sports and opportunities, so very important, and is why we will continue to push time, money and effort in to our junior program.

So yes, clubs (us included) go out and try and recruit local talent from other clubs, (very rare that 1st XI blokes walk off the street) but we are not in the position to throw huge $$$ at anyone, so we need to have other things to offer, and it is then the clubs job to pick blokes of good character and not just ability, as you need them to offer something off field, as well as on it, as these blokes are more likely to stick around for longer.

As for getting imports, if the budget is worked out and the club can afford it, I see nothing wrong with getting a top up player of standard, and we may have been lucky with Perera and Razaq in previous years, as you have no idea what is coming off the plane, but both these blokes also put a lot back in to our club and are still in contact with us.

Agree with Reverend that the pressure is on us at BU this year, we have had a lean run in finals over the past 15 years, as mentioned, 1 appearance for 1 flag in the second tier, (although Riverside have only had 3 semi finals (all losses) appearances in the same time) but we are determined to stay up again, and see the steps we made this year, being 5-2 at the break, and learning from the errors made from there, that we can be more than competitive, and I would say that the pressure is on not just us, but all Barclay and Money sides with the new restructure coming in, and although it would add more pressure, would like to see the top grade actually reverted to an 8 team grade, but that argument is for another day, so it is a massive year for all clubs.

Good luck to the 'siders this year, it may add extra pressure, but I am sure that if these 3 blokes come knocking on any doors in the Valley, even Plenty, that the clubs would be bending over backwards to secure them to 1 or 2 year deals. What is does to the long term outlook of the club (if others leave through lack of opportunity - not the Riverside way though) could be interesting, but short term wow!!!
Most Finals series in Barclay Shield last 12 seasons since Plenty won there 1st
Plenty 8
DC 6
Riverside 5
LE 5
Epping 4
Bund 4
Macleod 3
Mernda 2
Rosanna 2
Mont 2

Only 5 different premiers in that time

Last edited:

Slight correction Wandering,Riverside have played in 6 semi finals in that time and yes lost them all!

Add to that
Trinder
Ward
Turnbull

Not to mention Trinder Turnbull and Ward. Truth of the matter is champ, you cooked your juniors while in turn cooking your club as a whole. So well done you bought a few flags, bet it feels good looking back now at all the blokes that put in years of hard yards at the club to achieve it and are no longer around along with the blokes you burnt along the way. Keep dreaming of Diamond Creek champ, before you know it their 3rds and 4ths will moving in and taking over an empty Plenty Park.
How far back are you going here pal? Trinder? Ward?? They haven't been at the club for over 10 years. And your mate Mark Turnbull played 10 years of 2nd XI cricket how is that even relevant. I think your problem Iceman is you have always been jealous of our success and it has hurt you for such a long time to see us win constantly and even more to see 2 of the premierships we smashed your club. Or was it the fact that people wanted to come and play with us and they finally became winners? Did you celebrate that one did you??

I never said we were diamond creek, we admire the way diamond creek have developed from within and believe it's the best model.

Back