2016/2017 Barclay Shield

Any word on where the finals will be played this year for BS and MS?
Top 2 get a home semi and assume Mernda will get another crack at hosting the GF.
Not sure what others think but i reckon a venue where you can park around the whole oval, or majority of it, creates a better atmosphere. The beauty of Plenty was that you were so close to the action.
I reckon before too long even the 3 shields will be playing "home" GFs. Why not reward those clubs with an opportunity to make some much needed revenue?

I reckon before too long even the 3 shields will be playing "home" GFs. Why not reward those clubs with an opportunity to make some much needed revenue?

Couldn't agree more. Having neutral venues is nonsense. All the pitches and grounds are much the same.

If it is played at a grand finalist's home ground it makes it easier to staff the bar/canteen and for half the spectators to get to the ground and stagger home again.

I remember neutral semi-final grounds. They have disappeared and I doubt you'll find anyone who wants to bring them back.

great idea full of common sense which means the dvca is definitely not going to adopt this
At the risk of going over old ground, if enough clubs support such a thing, the personal thoughts of the executive are irrelevant. At least that's how it worked when I was last involved in club land 3 years ago

At the risk of going over old ground, if enough clubs support such a thing, the personal thoughts of the executive are irrelevant. At least that's how it worked when I was last involved in club land 3 years ago

myabe they should take some initiative and be proactive in making changes instead of sitting on their chairs and waiting for stuff to happend...how about lobbying for turf to be played in the region its a disgrace such a good comp has to play on synthetic.

myabe they should take some initiative and be proactive in making changes instead of sitting on their chairs and waiting for stuff to happend...how about lobbying for turf to be played in the region its a disgrace such a good comp has to play on synthetic.

Their hands are tied in most instances as they are unable to implement too much without the approval of majority of clubs. 2/3rds I think.

Nothing wrong with playing on syntyetic, plenty of local opportunities for guys who want to play on turf if they choose.

Running our own clubs are hard enough, so getting people to put their hand up to run the comp is not an easy task. While they deserve some scrutiny, much prefer those that do that be prepared to put their hand up and offer assistance. Sadly in my experience it doesn't happen. This is a generic statement based on my experience since the "NCL" debacle, not directed at you........

Couldn't agree more. Having neutral venues is nonsense. All the pitches and grounds are much the same.

If it is played at a grand finalist's home ground it makes it easier to staff the bar/canteen and for half the spectators to get to the ground and stagger home again.

Not all grounds and pitches are the same. Some grounds out there don't deserve a BS or MS GF.

Top 2 get a home semi and assume Mernda will get another crack at hosting the GF.
Not sure what others think but i reckon a venue where you can park around the whole oval, or majority of it, creates a better atmosphere. The beauty of Plenty was that you were so close to the action.
I dunno if Mernda will get the GF, a lot of people didn't want to travel that far. The other thing to consider is often the club that finishes on top already is in an advantageous financial position and a home GF only widens the gap. I know the canteen and bar sales won't make that big of a difference, but why not reward clubs who provide excellent facilities and playing conditions?

Barclay @ Plenty
Money @ Mernda
Mash @ Bundoora
Absolutely wrapt that Barclay Shield GF is back at Plenty Park. With the condition of the ground and a fantastic batting deck a par score will be 220+ which will make for a fantastic spectacle.

With parking all the way around the ground and viewing deck all makes for a huge crowd with 4 of the comps biggest clubs playing off

Back