APS: Scholarships

D'Mo Sanchez

APS: Scholarships

Scholorships in the APS

A fair bit has been said about Scholorships in the APS competition. Is it fair? Is it right? Should it be allowed? To most people the answer is a clear and resounding No.

What needs to be understood is why some schools find it necessary to have Scholorships in their teams. The main reason for the nessecity of these schools to have Scholorships is because they simply cannot compete at 1st's level without them. An example of this would of course be Haileybury. Now I'm sure most people remember the days when a fixture against Haileybury was a dream, pretty much a practice game that was not taken seriously. Now can you imagine what this school would be like without its Scholarships. There is no doubt in my mind that Haileybury would have been kicked out of the 1st's division along time ago. School pride is important and most people take it very seriously which is why $30 000 a year is paid to people to keep the legacy alive at Haileybury.

The second question is where should this stop? Haileybury have at least 10 Scholarships in their first XI cricket team. Now this is simply taking advantage of a system that was designed to help schools compete against the power houses of Scotch and Xavier not smash them every game. Geelong Grammer have 6 in their 1st's team. Is this to many? Take a look at their recent years performance, this year they have won 3 out of 7 which is more promising that most of the last decade. They are now and average team with a decent reputation and are no longer the "skidmarks of the APS" ( I once heard them described that way).

Another reason for the Scholarships is due to lack of numbers. Scotch, Xavier and St Kevins are all boys schools. This gives them the distinct advantage of sheer weight of numbers to choose teams from.

What this all comes down to is a matter of principle. A game which is fought hard and ends closely is much more rewarding that a big outright embarrasing win. Ask yourself what type of league do you want to play in? And you will find the reason that Scholarships were introduced into the APS

As a fringe first XI player in year 12 because of Scholarships I will surely never play another first game. But do I hold that against the Scholarship boys? No I dont. I would rather have a succesful team that i can be pround of that have my own spot in the XI.

Re: Scholorships in APS

I am against scholarships, if your school is becoming the ******** stain of competition you should take upon yourselves to advertise the school and make the good sportsmen want to come, not chuck out scholarships out like there no tomorrow.

alright alright with the fantasy. the haileybury team last weekend had 3 players who came to the school on scholarship - one in yr 10, 1 in yr 11 1 in yr 12. So much stupid stuff about HC scholarships. Clearly whne u cant beat em you have to make up excuses to feel better about your own poor performance.

There a 5 people in the Haileybury 1st XI that are on cricket scholarships. That is 1 less than Geelong. The rest of the players that are on scholarships are for other sports (hockey, football, soccer and tom lynch is on a netball scholarship)

this season has also seen Bayard, Keating, Tyrrell and a year 9 bloke who are all full paying students.

and there are at least 4 scholarship players in the 1st XI that would be at the school if there werent scholarships handed out. the school realised that these blokes had some talent and gave them and there families support to put them through the school. if they needed it or not we dont know.

alot of people blow the situation out of proportion

agreed t bone
all the hafwits that dont actually go to haileybury and dont know the full story about our school should just go home and learn to play cricket

thats crap all of hailebury players are on scolarships any1 who denies it is a ******** and any1 who goes to that shi! sports acedmy is a fag and as 4 the lynchs

DamienMARTYN4PM;139418 said:
thats crap all of hailebury players are on scolarships any1 who denies it is a ******** and any1 who goes to that shi! sports acedmy is a fag and as 4 the lynchs

Just had all DamienMartyn4PM's comments analysed by a psychologist. The question arises what did happen to this poor young man at birth?

i go to brighton and we have a number of players on scholarships. ok
steven singh is on a scholarship

from yr 9
nathan plumeridg and michal singh are on scholarships both played in the victorian primary schools side.
plumeridge was captain and thennext year he turns up to brighton (Coincidence?)

btw brighton are very tactical in the way they give out scholarships.
every 5 years they give out about 4 scholarships so they win the premiership.
They did this in 2004/2005 when damiano and all the other freaks played and won the premiership.
the next year is the current year 9s who will prbably win the premiership when their time comes

so mr hussey u r very wrong so dont go blaming other schools when we r jus as bad

IsHusseyIsGood;139677 said:
who are you? damiano didnt went to brighton since like yr 8 didnt jsut rock up in last 2 yrs like fkn haileybury

i go to ur school....

the argument is all well and good that scholarships are needed so that schools can compete. but what happens when it ruins the league as it has done. been competitive is one thing. winning every premiership convincingly is another. i do not see how hailbury and other schools can be proud when their school has not nutured the development of these players; they just buy them in years 11 and 12. Where is the justice in this? Other schools should not be allowed to take the higher ground. With the exception of Xavier and perhaps Carey every other school hands out sporting scholarships. Anyone who tries to deny it is a liar. Every school is guilty and consequently the aps competition has disintegrated into a joke.

bernie;139805 said:
the argument is all well and good that scholarships are needed so that schools can compete. but what happens when it ruins the league as it has done. been competitive is one thing. winning every premiership convincingly is another. i do not see how hailbury and other schools can be proud when their school has not nutured the development of these players; they just buy them in years 11 and 12. Where is the justice in this? Other schools should not be allowed to take the higher ground. With the exception of Xavier and perhaps Carey every other school hands out sporting scholarships. Anyone who tries to deny it is a liar. Every school is guilty and consequently the aps competition has disintegrated into a joke.

Agreed. Dont Xavier give scholarships?

anon;139676 said:
i go to brighton and we have a number of players on scholarships. ok
steven singh is on a scholarship

from yr 9
nathan plumeridg and michal singh are on scholarships both played in the victorian primary schools side.
plumeridge was captain and thennext year he turns up to brighton (Coincidence?)

btw brighton are very tactical in the way they give out scholarships.
every 5 years they give out about 4 scholarships so they win the premiership.
They did this in 2004/2005 when damiano and all the other freaks played and won the premiership.
the next year is the current year 9s who will prbably win the premiership when their time comes

so mr hussey u r very wrong so dont go blaming other schools when we r jus as bad
mate to get a scolarship at our school u have to come to the school and aply for one. U also have to sit a test and if u dont do well in the test u get the flick. We rnt like other schools where they sign players up as soon as they have left the field

husseyisfreakshow;139808 said:
mate to get a scolarship at our school u have to come to the school and aply for one. U also have to sit a test and if u dont do well in the test u get the flick. We rnt like other schools where they sign players up as soon as they have left the field

thats beside the point

brighton give scholarships to exceptional sportsman which contradicts what u said before (that brighton dont give scholarships)

pwned

Lets just face facts everyschool give scholarships!
Whoever said Carey didn't before! What about the bloke who came over from India or wherever last year and only played one game, or that bloke whose come down from Northern Terriroty, u can't say hes paying fees or that he just came to Carey for the education. As for Xavier, maybe Bergin has one, who noes?

bergin isent on a scholarship i play in his team, and xavier dont igve out sporting scholarships, they didnt even give one to luke ball and he played cricket for victoria and was a freak at footy.

incorrect my young and so very ignorant friend! offically no to xavier and scholarships! unoffically, do u think its coincidence that freak footballers all of a sudden decide to come to xavier at yr 11, lets think over the last couple of years! Robbie tarrant a name that springs to mind, i'm not saying they give them to cricketers but they do give them, it is also my understanding that luke ball went onto an "academic scholarship" after year 9! Coincidence

Back