Brown Hill 31 1.284
Ballarat/Redan 30 1.121
East Ballarat 24 1.077
Golden Point 21 1.202
Darley 12 0.859
Napoleons/Sebastopol 12 0.761
North Ballarat 9 0.770
Coronet City 3 0.491

Wendouree – Probably going better than most predicted given the loss of a couple of key personnel, but still got enough firepower with bat and ball. The depth they have had in previous years throughout the grades is coming to the fore now. A.

Mt Clear – Absolutely shellacked us on the weekend. A pretty handy side but probably still reliant on the batsmen to make a big score and then defend it with the bowlers they have. B+.

Brown Hill – Were shaping as the team to beat but recent collapses would suggest that they are very vulnerable if Giblett and Hyden don’t get them off to a good start. J. Knowles needs to stop the tabletop dancing if they are to be a force in March. B+.

Ballarat/Redan – Quiet achievers so far. A couple of very handy recruits means they are a bit better than most give them credit for. B.

East Ballarat – Rebuilding after the loss of their Captain/Coach/Best Batsman/Best Bowler extroadinaire Yater, and his lesser-known mate Wrighty. C.

Golden Point – Should be a lot higher than they are. Should not have tied on the weekend. Collapses in rounds 1 & 2 against Wendouree and Mt Clear could have drastically altered the make up of the 4 and will hurt come March. C+.

Darley – Still very reliant on Steeny making runs and Moorey taking wickets. Even when they do, it often isn’t enough – need more consistent input from all players. D.

Napoleons-Sebastopol – Disappointing. Would have really struggled without Burnsy. Looks a reasonable side on paper but has lost key batsmen and trying to blood a bit of youth. D.

North Ballarat –The loss of JT and Burnsy has depleted our batting a lot. Got a lot of potential but too much is being done by too few with both bat and ball. Belting Coronet-City in Round 1 gave us false indications of where we are at. E.

Coronet-City – a Rabble. F.

Re: Ballarat Cricket Association 09/10

Finals prediction at half way mark
Wend
MtClear
Brown Hill
Ball Redan
Not much to change

Any news on the country week squad?, any newbys, etc....

strikepower;381768 said:
Any news on the country week squad?, any newbys, etc....

I heard North have 3 players yet they are sitting second bottom on the ladder.

scorer;381940 said:
I heard North have 3 players yet they are sitting second bottom on the ladder.

no disrespect to these players but i believe j.crosbie and draff have made the mix.... surely a few dissapointed players which may have missed out, but i guess its where your from and not what you do

Where the team sits should have very little to do with selections - the good sides often have far greater depth and a lot more people contributing week in, week out whereas good players in poor teams often stand out like the proverbial.

Purely according to stats, Winnard is 9th in batting & 34th in bowling, Draffin is 9th in bowling, and Crosbie is 36th in bowling at this point in time.

I think Winnard and Draffin have been picked based on a mixture of what they have done so far for club and league, what they could potentially do, and who has made themselves available for the week. I think Crosbie is extremely fortunate to be in the squad.

RazzaTheRooster;382148 said:
Where the team sits should have very little to do with selections - the good sides often have far greater depth and a lot more people contributing week in, week out whereas good players in poor teams often stand out like the proverbial.

Purely according to stats, Winnard is 9th in batting & 34th in bowling, Draffin is 9th in bowling, and Crosbie is 36th in bowling at this point in time.

I think Winnard and Draffin have been picked based on a mixture of what they have done so far for club and league, what they could potentially do, and who has made themselves available for the week. I think Crosbie is extremely fortunate to be in the squad.

Was or is that the final squad or just a preliminary squad with the next few weeks to determine the final squad?????

I think there were 15 named in the paper, which is the final squad as far as I'm aware ... although I believe that they can draft in new players to cover injuries.

Sockit151;383465 said:
How does Xavier Moloney go with the bat?

Who's he play for?

Also, Is it true, vin cahill has been added to country week squad????!!!

Not that i can comment as i told them i'm not interested but seriously, who picks the team?

B-Redan no players and are in the 4? Hoey, Allan???

Dean Waugh;383631 said:
Who's he play for?

Also, Is it true, vin cahill has been added to country week squad????!!!

Not that i can comment as i told them i'm not interested but seriously, who picks the team?

B-Redan no players and are in the 4? Hoey, Allan???

Pretty obvious that Hammer has his fair say in the team. Each year whatever club he's at get's preferential treatment and its fair to say that he uses this as a way of trying to recruit blokes to his current club.Jaye Cahir last year was high on his target list of north recruits then he ends up playing country week when he is not in the club comp??

Sockit151;383465 said:
How does Xavier Moloney go with the bat?
He plays for Napoleons-Sebastopol.

Made 105 in the 3rds against Darley in Round 4.

Then made 60 in the 4ths against Coronet-City in Round 5.

Then made 48no in the 2nds against North Ballarat in Round 6.

My prediction
Wendouree
Mount Clear
B/ Redan
B/ Hill

East
Point
Rest
Hill to knock off Wendouree in semi if it doesnt rain.

Country Week

As mentioned earlier posts it does depend on where you play not how to play to depend on selection. No offence to any selected players, but the BCA need to look at the selectors and where all the players are coming from.

Pyke, Fletcher, R. Knowles, Hyden, Blake deserve to be in the side they are proven performers for long periods of time. There are a couple of lucky members.

I would like to know the availablity of some players to know why they haven't been selected. E. Johnson, R. Ovens, D. Sproules, C. Egan, A Gunn. All these are bowlers and are far more consistent than a number of selected players. Also have been working at there craft for longer than a year.

The side is very light on quality bowlers and how would the batting order look.

Long Time Reader;384259 said:
Country Week

As mentioned earlier posts it does depend on where you play not how to play to depend on selection. No offence to any selected players, but the BCA need to look at the selectors and where all the players are coming from.

Pyke, Fletcher, R. Knowles, Hyden, Blake deserve to be in the side they are proven performers for long periods of time. There are a couple of lucky members.

I would like to know the availablity of some players to know why they haven't been selected. E. Johnson, R. Ovens, D. Sproules, C. Egan, A Gunn. All these are bowlers and are far more consistent than a number of selected players. Also have been working at there craft for longer than a year.

Sproules Hahahahahahahahahahahahaah!!!! Surely you're taking the piss. Sproules. Hahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!
You just made my day.

Liquor & Poker;384269 said:
Sproules Hahahahahahahahahahahahaah!!!! Surely you're taking the piss. Sproules. Hahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!
You just made my day.

Just going on the stats and having faced him. He would be suited to the style of country week cricket.

Liquor & Poker;384269 said:
You just made my day.

4th most amount of wickets in the competition to date if I recall correctly...............

One way to select a country week side would be to let Pyke, Knowles & Fletcher pick the squad. They have been around for along time and played plenty of country week to know what type of player needs to go. Have a team manager/coach, but simplify he's role to only drinks, massages & going to shop to get knowlesy a pie & pack of darts!

Liquor & Poker, are you annoyed that your not in country week side?!!!

Long Time Reader;384259 said:
Country Week

I'd say the batting order would look something like this
Goonan
Hyden
White
Pyke
Burns
R.Knowles
Fletcher
Bell
Winnard
J.Knowles
Blake
Moore

Shaw
Ellis
Draffin
Crosbie

Very light on for bowlers, surely Nick O'Brien and Jarrod Allan should of got the call up

Why would you have Jason Knowles that low? Fletch should be in top 5. You're right about the bowling so Dave Ellis has to play and Shaw must play for his spin.

I've never seen Winnard do anything of note so, other than the obvious question of why are he and the other North blokes going, why would you have him ahead of Ellis and Shaw?

Belly might sit around doing alot of watching too. It's a good batting side. I reckon Hoppy, Gav Webb and young Pete Colbourne would have been very useful in that side.

As selected, I'd have them as:

Goonan
Hyden
White
Fletcher
Pyke
R.Knowles
Shaw
J.Knowles
Ellis
Bell
Blake
Moore

SteveO;385338 said:
Why would you have Jason Knowles that low? Fletch should be in top 5. You're right about the bowling so Dave Ellis has to play and Shaw must play for his spin.

I've never seen Winnard do anything of note so, other than the obvious question of why are he and the other North blokes going, why would you have him ahead of Ellis and Shaw?

Belly might sit around doing alot of watching too. It's a good batting side. I reckon Hoppy, Gav Webb and young Pete Colbourne would have been very useful in that side.

As selected, I'd have them as:

Goonan
Hyden
White
Fletcher
Pyke
R.Knowles
Shaw
J.Knowles
Ellis
Bell
Blake
Moore

I do agree that Ellis and Shaw should be in ahead of Winnard however he did play three days of country week last year by memory and we all know selectors won't have all three north blokes miss out on the same day and the ex north bloke also (Burns).. Reason i had Knowlesy that low was becauase he seems to be struggling alot with form this season and doubt he'd go anyway with his injury. Don't think Belly will bat at no 10 when he hardly bowls for wendouree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back