City of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2010/11

Re: City of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2010/11

We tried out the new wide system at training tonight too, with similar results. General consensus among the bowlers was that it was a joke. At least 2 balls an over were wides.
There is no way we will get through 55 overs in a day, let alone 72!!

My opinion is that this is a rule brought in by a bunch of guys who have been out of the game for 20+ years and have lost touch with the players and the spirit of the game. I'm all for making things easier for the umpires, but quite simply this will make the game a purely batsmans event.

And what about those in the lower grades? Are we to tell every bloke having a hit and giggle that he can't enjoy the game unless he can bowl within a 90cm corridor? For a competition that should be trying to promote braod participation in the sport, this is absurd!!

The ball will be considered as passing wide of the striker unless it is sufficiently within his reach for him to be able to hit it with his bat by means of a normal cricket stroke.

The problem with this new rule will be the consistency of how and when it is enforced in all the grades.I have no doubt early on in the innings it will be strictly enforced but as the game continues the umpire will keep his arm by his side especially if the game is dragging on. It is hard enough umpiring a game on your own, and to add this rule will add much more pressure on the umpire.There is ofcourse the issue of the captains and teams exerting a lot of pressure on umpires. There are some very strong individuals who captain teams, and unfortunately there are some very weak umpires who will cave like a deck of cards as soon as they are challenged. There is ofcourse the problem that a lot of lower grade games will not have umpires officiating so they will obviously play by their own rules. I am curious as to why this rule was brought with such urgency Was there such a problem with wide deliveries last season? Maybe I wasn't paying attention. It will be interesting to see how they treat spinners and whether they will give them any leniency?

Cudo's to the Executive for finally making a decision which is why they are there, it is just they made a decision on the wrong issue. Personally I would have started by changing the playing rules to Woolnough and increasing the overs they play to 72 and bringing this new rule change into the 20/20 tournament and see how it operates and allow an opportunity to perhaps tinker or amend it once they have seen it in action.

Consistency is the problem with most rules where umpires are concerned, Clocker.

We used last night to move our stuff into the rooms, but we'll be trialing the new lines at training tomorrow night. If, as it appears from a couple of others, it seems a bit extreme, we'll forward an expression of concern to the Association. I do, however, like your suggestion that it be trialed in the T20 games. It seems more logical to use it for a competition like this, than to implement it for part of the H&A season only to pull it after realising it wasn't working.

As Coat hanger has suggested, we don't want to discourage those that are in it for a hit and giggle. Not to mention we have a lad with cerebral palsy who has been playing for almost 15 years in our I grade side and we've always encouaraged our 3rds captains to make sure he gets a go with the ball. It would be extremely disappointing to have to tell him he can no longer bowl because of the new restrictions.

It is probably why they have brought in the lines, to try and eliminate the inconsistency by making the issue black and white with little room for personal judgment. I find it hard to believe that your Rolls Royce bowling action would even come close to transgressing but your concern for your fellow bowlers is commendable. I suspect that the tribunal may get a work out early in the season as a plethora of bowlers are brought before them for audible obscenity charges, abuse of umpire, equipment abuse ie kicking the stumps, threatening the batsman, unsportsman like behaviour, and other uncivilized acts of frustration.

Early market for bowlers likely to get reported in the first three rounds assuming the law remains in force for this period:
S.Worker $1.10:Could be a late scratching.Three years of frustration will be unleashed, hard to beat.
D White $1.15:Impressive last performance and has made a reputation for himself in a short time. Will be there at the end.
S May $1.30:Currently suspended, but a quality performer always guaranteed to be thereabouts even though giving away a big start.
C Clement $1.50:Unpredictable and fiery but will always give his best. Likely to question a batsmens parentage and an umpires intelligence or lack of it..
A Kain $1.55:Getting on in years, and a family has still not tempered this acid tongued veteran. Must consider.
C Park $1.90:The Clydesdale of the competition.Don't pat him Jimmy or he will bite your head off. Ignore at your own peril.
S Handley $1.95:Another veteran who has seen better days. Can still mix it with the best of them. Worth watching.
J Greer $2.00:Just returned from the highly rated District ranks. This field will suit him better and his fiery nature will ensure he will give a good account of himself.
A Bott $2.10:Another veteran who does not tolerate fools lightly.Has matured but still can mix it when called upon. Do not discard.
D Bott $2.20:Junior has been known to vent his spleen with the best of them, and spinners being spinners, must consider.
S Surridge $2.30:Two years ago, he would have been equal favourtie, but with a new regime he will pull his head in as losing your spot in the dream team could make it a hard road back and give the skipper ideas about taking up bowling again.Better choices.
L Dallas $2.40:Another spinner who has a complex at not being able to send them down quick.Better choices in this field.
G Lalor $2.50:At some stage he will look around and wonder how did I end up here? Well known for combative approach and with his pedigree cannot be ignored. Will be fine if left alone but the likes of Kain & Co will not let a chance pass.Worth a place bet.
M Bunting $2.75:Already rocking the boat, but will pull his head in as he tries for another Knights award. Better choices available.
Y Pasialas $2.90:Slowly gaining a better understanding of what a quick has to do. Will be outclassed but keep an eye out for the future.
S McConchie $3.00:Never to be underestimated, but better choices in this star studded field.
M Flahive $14.50:Loved by all and just is not capable of unseemly acts.Out of depth.

Clock brilliant work pal, your odd's on all things cricket make for entertaining reading.
You are the main reason i log on here to see what you post next and your the main reason why i joined last week.

My question now is what market will you place odds on next?:D

Keep it up

Does seem a bit tough on bowlers in the lower grades, what happens with club/playing umpires.. I can see this causing even more debate.

the 'new wide line' will be interesting on some of the lower grade pitches, balls will bounce off the pitch & be within 'the line' at some of the pitches I have seen (with a foot off grass in between) could make for some interesting stories when the 3/4/5's return home of a sat arvo!!

Surley a trial period seem the most logical idea, practice matches/ woolnough -Quiney only til the christmas break maybe??

not 100% sure of the best option, but it does seem a major adjustment without any real study!

Also why is the wide line being changed, I didnt hear of any major problems- Any others know of any? I think most bowlers can deal with 1 or 2 wide calls..

Do agree with the card rule I did hear of, a green/ 'cool off' card & if you reach 3 you get an automatic 1 week suspension. Will stop people being reported for minor infringements, then get suspended (even if they change the charge half way through a hearing- Absolute joke!!) on the basis they had been reported.. Dont think a case has been waved in over 3 seasons??

From all reports i hear on last year, everything seemed to run ok, with the only exception being the tribunal from a few (me included).. Which the green card might help to rectify..

PS- I am happy for the rule it will suit an old slogger like me, blokes can't bowl 2 foot outside off stump where I cant reach 'em.. Pete Manakis was the king of that tactic, ************ me dead it worked every time as well..:confused:

There's an old saying- If it aint broke, don't fix it!!

Anyone else following the rumour of Con Pothitos walking out on West Bentleigh? They weren't represented at the captain/umpire night, so it can only add to the speculation.

There is no card rule, Burger. Just a 'caution' rule for incidents that umpires deem aren't worthy of a report, but feel a player needs to be 'cautioned'. 3 of these in 1 season and you get a 1 match suspension - which you can appeal.

As for the wide rule, it's being used in Premier cricket from what we were told on Monday night, hence why they felt is was something worth trialing in our comp.

Ok same sort of thing then, does the umpires have to note the caution to the CMCA if handed out?

Do you know if the 'wide line' measurements are the same as ours, makes more sense on turf because there is generally no edge of pitch.. But ours I always thoughw as a wide if over the edge of pitch when passes the batsman?

I dont really see how ir makes it easier for umps with a smaller corridor to aim at, would make it harder because there is more likely hood the ball will travel close to the marked line...

Me no understand!!

Burger;409452 said:
Ok same sort of thing then, does the umpires have to note the caution to the CMCA if handed out?

Do you know if the 'wide line' measurements are the same as ours, makes more sense on turf because there is generally no edge of pitch.. But ours I always thoughw as a wide if over the edge of pitch when passes the batsman?

I dont really see how ir makes it easier for umps with a smaller corridor to aim at, would make it harder because there is more likely hood the ball will travel close to the marked line...

Me no understand!!

Not too bright are we Burger King........obviously 'yes' if the umpire didn't note it with the league do you think the player would own up to any previous strikes and do you think the league would appoint the same umpire to umpire in the same games as a player he has reported previously lol 'i think not'. Common sense look it up pal.

Sugar;409448 said:
Anyone else following the rumour of Con Pothitos walking out on West Bentleigh? They weren't represented at the captain/umpire night, so it can only add to the speculation.

Wow, Gary Ablett, Bomber Thompson and now Con Pothitos(if true).I might have to adjust some of the fields.If he heads back to the Hoops then all of a sudden their batting line up is starting to look imposing.Would have to question whether so many strong personalities in one team would work.

PS- I am happy for the rule it will suit an old slogger like me, blokes can't bowl 2 foot outside off stump where I cant reach 'em.. Pete Manakis was the king of that tactic, ************ me dead it worked every time as well..:confused:

There's an old saying- If it aint broke, don't fix it!![/QUOTE]

Your mate Maysie was the king of outswingers starting a foot outside off Burgs. You'll have to find a new way to get out buddy if you don't have to swing across the line to score runs - I know, people in glass houses etc.

Must agree that I didn't think wide bowling was an issue at all last year, hope they leave this one alone. Simple fact, if umpires are sensible, strong and consistent all rules issues go away and it cleans up behavior as well.

Clocker - GOLD, as always. Didn't quite get the C.Park reference though.

Uncle Mick;409449 said:
There is no card rule, Burger. Just a 'caution' rule for incidents that umpires deem aren't worthy of a report, but feel a player needs to be 'cautioned'. 3 of these in 1 season and you get a 1 match suspension - which you can appeal.

Thought I might join in this convo as I was there on Monday night - it made for interesting viewing! From My understanding Mick, and please confirm if I'm wrong, you have the right to appeal, but if unsuccessful you automatically get double the original suspension :confused:

As for the new wide rule... we will be trialling this ASAP but it does seem a bit ridiculous. From what the umpires were saying on Monday - the CMCA deemed it necessary to introduce a way of making the wide calls more consistent, essentially making the job of the umpires easier (and getting less abuse). I'm all for marking the creases - as we see in most forms of 'serious' cricket these days, but with those dimensions, which were yet to be ratified by CMCA (Benny was going to 'check' the validity of them!!), I can't see their jobs being any easier, in fact quite the contrary :rolleyes:

I also agree with many posters here in that this should have been trialled this year in the shortest form of the game, and then if successful, introducing it next year.....

As for Clocker's odds - Marshall and C.Park in top 5 as this is their M.O each and every Saturday - bowling well wide of off and getting the batsmen to chase. Decent tactics for frustrated batsmen! Will be VERY interesting to see how it all pans out.

Sugar;409448 said:

Con has an occupation decision pending on whether to move interstate with job. Nothing more dubious than that.

That is exactly what I have heard. Con will either be playing for west or not playing at all. :cool:

Jimmy Olson;409484 said:

There's an old saying- If it aint broke, don't fix it!!

Your mate Maysie was the king of outswingers starting a foot outside off Burgs. You'll have to find a new way to get out buddy if you don't have to swing across the line to score runs - I know, people in glass houses etc.

Must agree that I didn't think wide bowling was an issue at all last year, hope they leave this one alone. Simple fact, if umpires are sensible, strong and consistent all rules issues go away and it cleans up behavior as well.

Clocker - GOLD, as always. Didn't quite get the C.Park reference though.[/QUOTE]

Roids is an honest Clydesdale who will bowl all day with no problems.Most Clydesdales are very calm and passive beasts. CP is one that is the exception to the rule and will bite, especially if an umpire starts calling him for wide delieveries.

CLOCKER;409500 said:

I didn't think so either, but it would seem that the CMCA committee has made the changes on the back of what the umpires are saying, and backing it up on Monday night also... plenty of them.
I personally suspect the measurements are wrong! well I hope so anyway, for all our sake, incl. the umpires... ;)

I reckon a combination of of the new line marking rule for wides, as well as the new pitch on King George will see me out of the running as I doubt I'll bowl enough over to give my odds a crack.

In other news, the Bentleigh ANA Cricket Show was recorded last week, and is now able to be viewed on Welcome to the Bentleigh ANA Website

Mr Square Pants. Firstly, welcome.... you're absolutely right in that players can appeal the 1 match suspension as a result of the 3 caution system. You're also right in the penalty being doubled for any failed appeal.

Seems there's a growing chorus for the CMCA to rescind this wide rule. We'll found out for ourselves what it's like at Highett West tonight, but is it possible the dimensions could change before next weekend? Anyone have any ideas on what they think would be a better width?

Sugar;409508 said:
I reckon a combination of of the new line marking rule for wides, as well as the new pitch on King George will see me out of the running as I doubt I'll bowl enough over to give my odds a crack.

In other news, the Bentleigh ANA Cricket Show was recorded last week, and is now able to be viewed on Welcome to the Bentleigh ANA Website

Have you had a look to make sure it's up and running? It doesn't appear to be working when I follow the link on your web page.

Back