City Of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2011/12

A few news grabs and points of discussion down at The Daily Bugle:

Congrats to Luke Manders and 'Olliewood' Hardaker for being joint winners of the CSCC $1000 draw. The boys looked like they were enjoying the cash bonanza down at the web. With perfect drinking weather and plenty of punters, it was a great day had by all.

The final four has been decided, though the order is still up for grabs. The Redbacks have historically found Mackie to be a tough gig, and they have a lot of work to do before they earn the double chance. I'm sure Bentleigh Uniting and ESBC will be fine tuning their well oiled machines to make sure they hit the ground running come March and the Golfers will be getting a great dress rehearsal this round before their inaugral Longy finals campaign begins.

On another slightly negative note, what is going on down at Hurly Park? They have been such a powerhouse of the CMCA for so long it's impossible not to discuss why they've only had 4 wins from the 40 matches of their Senior sides this season, especially as they were Longy Grand Finalists less than 12 months ago. I'm definitely not having a go at them, I'm just stunned at the season they've had as a club and am wondering what is going on.

Better be careful PP. The self appointed Uniting moral policeman will be on your back. With respect to the Hoops their batting has been pretty good, and they have posted some big scores, but their bowling has been ordinary.More or less the same team that played last season except for Ivan.Has the competition improved that much in 12 months? Looks like it. Another finalist from last season,Elwood, are no guarantee to stay up and will want to bring their best game against the Cowboys who are full of confidence.I can't help but SPECULATE that Uniting may not have their full focus on the game against Leroy's Golfers or Ivan's Omega on the weekend, considering that a game at Merlot's beloved 'G' beckons. If there was ever a perfect opportunity to inflict back to back losses then this could be the game. There would have to be a few players who would be sweating on selection, and those that miss out would be pretty disappointed. Will a CMCA umpire get a gig on Sunday? Preferably a non smoker. Having a durry on the hallowed turf is not looked on kindly by the establishment.

Better be careful PP. The self appointed Uniting moral policeman will be on your back. With respect to the Hoops their batting has been pretty good, and they have posted some big scores, but their bowling has been ordinary.More or less the same team that played last season except for Ivan.Has the competition improved that much in 12 months? Looks like it. Another finalist from last season,Elwood, are no guarantee to stay up and will want to bring their best game against the Cowboys who are full of confidence

Yep Clock, I agree with you about Union's batting this year, they have definitely delivered, but there bowlers have contracted hemophilia and their batters have been swept away with the outflow. But I'm talking about Union's club as a whole. Their Seconds, Thirds AND Fourths are staring down the barrel of relegation and that's got to be some kind of a record. You can't have success at the top without depth, it's just asking too much from too few. But why has the fall been so steep in such a short period of time?

Yes Elwood's Ones have struggled this year, but their 4 other senior sides aren't in the same state as Unions and that's where the difference lies.

Never been the same since they got rid of Vorbs. Having said that I will not engage in any scurrulous speculation about a 100 year old club ably led by one of the last true believers in Noel Pullen. One more thing PP, if Leroy and his lads do the right thing and Uniting worry about their make up and hair for Sunday, your beloved Spiders could end up on top of the ladder. Considering that your club gave up your home game in round 1, played on a Sunday so Uniting could unfurl their flag and make another 10 grand; they should be big enough and let you host a final; assuming you get that top spot....or will the choices be Centenary Park or Centenary Park irrespective of ladder positions? At the very least you should host one home game and be given the opportunity to make something from the bar.

You are rattled Quasi! Yes Jimmy and most of the leaders were slaughtered, just trying to build up the tension leading into the final round.You have not made a selection in the Royals-v-Hampton Central match. When you have a moment...

Not sure what you're referring to.

I have merely indicated that Jimmy Olsen got one and not 2 last round.

I have not placed any tips for this round. Review and preview later in the week.

Never been the same since they got rid of Vorbs. Having said that I will not engage in any scurrulous speculation about a 100 year old club ably led by one of the last true believers in Noel Pullen. One more thing PP, if Leroy and his lads do the right thing and Uniting worry about their make up and hair for Sunday, your beloved Spiders could end up on top of the ladder. Considering that your club gave up your home game in round 1, played on a Sunday so Uniting could unfurl their flag and make another 10 grand; they should be big enough and let you host a final; assuming you get that top spot....or will the choices be Centenary Park or Centenary Park irrespective of ladder positions? At the very least you should host one home game and be given the opportunity to make something from the bar.

Clock, Interesting you mention this as finals ground allocation is always a hot topic but I was told on Saturday that no ground in Glen Eira will be available for finals? This may be old news to everyone but is it true??

Gee Fawkner Park No. 1 has never looked better either... ;)

According to Mick: I think you'll find Bayside will host most of the GFs for this season purely for that reason alone, but I could be wrong and we won't know more about it until the time arrives in a little over a month's time.
I suspect Highett West will probably get the Longmuir Grand Final and a lower grade on the other ground. Le Page has two grounds with excellent facilites.
Fawkner Park is a ripping suggestion. Great ground, lots of shade, fantastic surrounds and superb amenities.
Will the Southern centric Assocation consider the Wanderers?

Never been the same since they got rid of Vorbs. Having said that I will not engage in any scurrulous speculation about a 100 year old club ably led by one of the last true believers in Noel Pullen.

Have to disagree with you 100% on your scurrulous speculation comment Clocker. I'm just stating the stats ma'am and Union's 100 year history has nothing to do with their current state of affairs. In fact it's because of their 100 year history and their standing in the CMCA as to why I'm asking the question. I know exactly how much effort, time and management it takes to run a club and I'm not fool enough to disrespect another club. Just asked the question why did it all unravel so quickly. But enough's said.

As to allocation of grounds for finals, I'm not sure what Glen Eira's policy is this year, but there are plenty of grounds in great condition to choose from. Having said that, it would be nice to have a home final, if earned, but that is merely wishful thinking.

if Leroy and his lads do the right thing and Uniting worry about their make up and hair for Sunday, your beloved Spiders could end up on top of the ladder. Considering that your club gave up your home game in round 1, played on a Sunday so Uniting could unfurl their flag and make another 10 grand; they should be big enough and let you host a final; assuming you get that top spot....or will the choices be Centenary Park or Centenary Park irrespective of ladder positions? At the very least you should host one home game and be given the opportunity to make something from the bar.

I've always had a soft spot for the Golfers, but I would have their baby if they could knock of Uniting this round! As you say, with the majorly fantastic distraction of playing at the mighty G, you never know.

Billy, it's only Grand Finals that the GE Council won't make available for finals due to the reserve week running into April. As a matter of interest; the new electronic scoreboard is ready for installation at HW. The building permit went to council last week and once approved the scoreboard will go in the following weekend. We expect that to be either semi final weekend or at the very least, prelim weekend - unless God forbid the Bayside Council got their act together and action it sooner.

As for the Boys Club, expect to see LD bowling for the first time since pre-Xmas. Very timely, indeed....

If the Spiders finish on top then of course they deserve a home 2nd semi but it’s hardly up to BUCC to ‘let them’ host it. If you finish on top then it’s not negotiable as far as we are concerned but that’s a decision for the exec. If we finish 2nd we expect to play at Lords or Chisholm. Likewise if we finish on top we expect to play at Centenary. Seems however that hosting a home Longy GFs is now a different story. As long as that is also applied with consistency then no one can complain.

And a quick observation on Union. The rot set in last year. Some of the petulance and behaviour during the finals from teams that both won and lost was very ordinary. Won’t re-hash as it was done to death at the time. A reputation forged over a long period can be lost very easily in a short space of time.

Also – interesting comments doing the rounds about City of GE grounds being unavailable for finals. Have not heard that one and to the contrary Glen Eira based football clubs are being told not to schedule practice games until April due to ‘cricket finals’

Well Saturday Feb 18th the Mighty Bentleigh Uniting tasted defeat for the first time in some 40 matches what a achievement by them. And well done to Ana for breaking there winning run Ana was playing with passion that has lacked at times this year.Bentleigh Uniting showed great sportsmenship after there loss and the way Glen Lalor leads that club should be a lesson for many other clubs . But one bit of mail that i did receive shocked me the words that came out of CMCA commitee persons mouth. while at the stage of the game the score was roughly 2/ 78 of about 28 overs a guy had great pleasure in saying Hampton Central have beaten LePage Park and it would a big game for Ana next week against Hampton to avoid relegation in front of the ana players who were waiting to bat well what i believe from those comments it made the players more determined than ever to get up. I ask anybody why would a person on a commitee say that why a games still in progress in front of bunch of nervous young nervous bloke waiting there turn to bat against a powerhouse like Uniting. Gee wouldnt you think the comp would want them to loose a game to make the finals a bit more interesting its amazing story. Good luck to Uniting for Next Sunday at the MCG you deserve it .

Clocker going to check what kind of individual you are, if your human and have a heart then if you reveal your identity n prove who you are to me I shall donate $100 to a charity of your choice.........who is more important? Those in need or yourself?
I eagerly await your get out response!

Long time reader who thought I might as well finally contribute to the banter

Brett, was actually you who prompted me to register, please just give it up, Clocker has baited you beautifully and you keep biting, been quite amusing to see play out actually, I think you'll find ignoring it may be the better tactic, be the bigger man you claim to be and let it go

Mr.parker I'm very interested who pulled out the last couple of tickets in the draw ? Very ironic that one of your overseas players won don't you think ?????? Interesting to say the least.
The longy gf will not be at HW mick . No change rooms !!

There are 2 sets of change rooms available, RR. Carnegie Sth used them against Union in Rd.2. We use the other set when our 2nds & 3rds play the top ground.

Billy, it's only Grand Finals that the GE Council won't make available for finals due to the reserve week running into April. As a matter of interest; the new electronic scoreboard is ready for installation at HW. The building permit went to council last week and once approved the scoreboard will go in the following weekend. We expect that to be either semi final weekend or at the very least, prelim weekend - unless God forbid the Bayside Council got their act together and action it sooner.

As for the Boys Club, expect to see LD bowling for the first time since pre-Xmas. Very timely, indeed....

Yes UM, I left out Grand in my typing haste. That's exactly the reason according to John. Still there will be plenty of good grounds left for the GF's to be played. And yes UM i don't know where RR gets his info that Peterson St Reserve doesn't have change rooms. I thought it would've been one of the better changing room set ups with 2 sets of change rooms and the social rooms seperate. Great set up for a GF for one of the top 3 grades.

Correct, Billy. Utilising the change rooms gives teams the opportunity to separate themselves from any outside influences and concentrate on the job at hand. Given the plethora of runs scored on the ground this season it should make for some quality finals - no matter what grade it is (preferably E Grade if our boys can snatch a spot in the 4 over the next 2 weeks).

Back