City Of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2011/12

I should clarify, Army. Had my suspicions he was a spinner and figured on the back of Bunter's post that Heywood may not bowl as much this weekend. What's surprising is picking a player who has bowled 24 overs in 3 games of Quiney Shield to replace Heywood who has picked up 28 wickets @ 12 in Wooly. Haven't seen Olson, but 9 wickets @ 9.5 is an impressive record to start off with. I can't think of a quality leggy in Woolnough so I look fwd to seeing him send a few down.

And JL, surely you knew Brett was having a laugh with that post...?

Not correct Mick, Heywood will bowl normally just reckon his batting might come to the fore a bit more. Sharks bowling looks a bit "the same" hence the chance taken with spinner in final. 2 blokes are stiff to miss a spot in the Sharks line up.

JL you rilly have lowered your colors on the last post but bean a kind lovin guy I won't alowl miself to fink dispite my grandma floors that your eagley as stewpid as me if not probbly more so now, let's see if you can figer it out this time??

Not sure how I am in the know? But you would have to cut chubbs leg off for him not to play and even still he would probably back himself to skittle a few poles.

Round 11 Preview
Uniting over the Heath just (Who would’ve thought that a Keith Biggs inspired victory would have me reluctant to select Uniting. Surely the Golfers will not surprise again, but my analysis of their fate has been poor in recent times. Some may argue the Maroons will be focusing on their foray to the G, but I cannot bring myself to tip against. Glen Lalor to make a century).ESBC over Le Page just (East Sandy are not playing well, but surely we will see them show some fight with the Double chance still up for grabs. Guy Martin has had a fine season and his form has been significant in most games).West over Union just (Absolute flip of the coin, but the Hoops form post Xmas has lacked any conviction and the home side should do just enough. Chris Fidler to continue his good recent run)Spiders over Mackie just (This is exactly the type of game Carnegie would’ve lost in years gone by, but not nowadays, as Collison’s men push on towards a finals assault. Gihan Perera to be prominent).ANA over Centrals just (Hampton will naturally give their all but fall agonisingly short in a season which would’ve seen them avoid relegation in nearly any other year. Brad Dolman to rip through the Centrals and send them to Woolnough).Elwood over Chelsea just (I will probably rue selecting the Beach Boys, but I still maintain they are a better side than 11th and Marshall has one last chance to redeem himself after a poor season by his standards. The Heighters have shown glimpses of what is required in this grade and will look to build on their experience for 2013).

Round 11 Review

1/6 (35/65 cumulative) in a round where Mother Nature once again had the final say. ANA were the only winners in a lackluster finale to the home and away season. Unfortunately for Centrals, time to regroup in Woolnough.

Think I’ll quickly review the ladder I posted back in early October:

1. Bent Utg (Who would tip against them going back to back with the likes of Russell & Lalor still around)
2. Elwood (Marshall is the comps best all-round cricketer and will ensure the Beach boys are the main challengers)
3. Kingston Heath (I'm tipping the Golfers to be the surprise packets this season. De Zylva to add experience to young side)
4. East Sandy (Wanted to select them out of the four, but they simply have a winning culture that will get them over the line)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Union (They will be competitive enough but miss Ivan in the big games).
6. ANA (The return of Mikkelsen will see them thereabouts in most games).
7. Mackie (Were not suited by the one day comp we had last year, but can't see them figuring in March).
8. Chelsea Heights (Even with the big signings Shelton & Reid, will struggle in their first year in the top flight).
9. Le Page Park (Hendy & McConchie hold the key to any chance they may have this year. No).
10. West Bentleigh (A club that has reached its zenith for the time being. Any of the bottom 4 could be relegated).
11. Carn Sth (Noombie & Handley aren't getting any younger).
12. Hamp Cent (Could well be the relegation decider this Saturday against the Cowboys).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Three of the top 4 and Centrals to be relegated were the strengths.
  • Underestimation of the Spiders was clear.
  • Elwood disappointed all and sundry.

1st Semi Final Preview

ESBC over Golfers just (I have been proven wrong time and time again by Kingston Heath in recent weeks and I would select them, but I cannot bring myself to tip against East Sandy in a final. Luke Dallas to be the difference).

2nd Semi Final Preview

Uniting over Carnegie comfortably (Many are selecting this to be close, but even taking into account the Spiders excellent form, surely one cannot see them causing an upset. Uniting to bat first, put 250 plus on the board and then Chubbs to run through the Carnegie top order and put the game beyond doubt early).

Good luck to all

Quasi

I agree, time to move on and talk about the finals.
First of all congrats to Steve,Peter,Geoff and Harry for getting the Longy games, all the best to the other umpires in their respective grades.
Uniting at full strength, well done to chubbs for getting through and passing the test, i'll have the ice pack ready.
Heath, exciting times and pure youth and energy could get them through if they channel it right.
Washington, should have learned somthing from last season, talking to the coach, they seemed primed and are full strength.
Uniting, this will be close on the slow brick, the team that plays the ground the better will win.

Lets hope the weather doesn't play a part, good luck to all.

Just on the umpires if Jammo is not in the best 8 umpires in this comp, i am Usain Bolt's twin brother!!

no disrespect to the others but (IMO) he is easily in the top 2 umpires i have seen this year, & for the past 2/3 years i might add.. I know someone will roll out the old line about captains reports blah,blah,blah.. But haven spoken to many players/teams about umpires & It's not possible from what i cant piece together...

A few of the others in top 2 grades, well i wont say it but they are lucky to be there, very lucky!!

Again.. good luck to all during finals!

& PS- UM, good to see another get ruffled by the faceless warriors!! haha

We're going to have to start calling you The Oracle, Quasi. I reckon you might be spot on with your tips. Slow ground at Chisholm. I feel 188 is worth a few more and might just be enough. Callum Rayner must surely be the best young quick in Longmuir??
Put a line through Carnegie Sth. 250+ is too many.

Similar in Wooly where you can put a line through Wash Ups. Manders obviously did well to nurse his back the past month claiming 4 and will get most of the 130+ runs that remain.
Ommies have a tough chase. The old heads need to prevail, but I'm still backing Beckett to be the pick of the bats.

Congrats to the East Sandy boys. Runs on the board in a Finals is a great advantage. Needless to say I'm very proud of our boys. We've exceeded everyone's expectations in making the 4, and have taken another step in our development.
Good luck to the rest of the teams in the Finals.
As for Calum, I tend to agree with Mick. But maybe I'm a bit biased :)

Congratulations on a brilliant year Leroy, a good foundation built to progress further best of luck to you n all at the Heath.

Now jimmy bunting, would love your thoughts as a man of the cmca for years highly respected........Simon Surridge in my view is the best I have seen, the best there is and the best there has ever been! I may be biased as I have played with him for 10 years and he has always got the best bats out when inform or out of form n in a period where many believe the art of good swing bowling was lost from the 2 piece to the 4 piece chubbs has continued his dominance and once again today under a inj cloud rolls out 5-14.

Your thoughts bunter??

Just on the umpires if Jammo is not in the best 8 umpires in this comp, i am Usain Bolt's twin brother!!

no disrespect to the others but (IMO) he is easily in the top 2 umpires i have seen this year, & for the past 2/3 years i might add.. I know someone will roll out the old line about captains reports blah,blah,blah.. But haven spoken to many players/teams about umpires & It's not possible from what i cant piece together...

A few of the others in top 2 grades, well i wont say it but they are lucky to be there, very lucky!!

Again.. good luck to all during finals!

& PS- UM, good to see another get ruffled by the faceless warriors!! haha

Burger, we had the pleasure of Jammo's umpiring over the last 2 days a whilst i have little exposure to other Longy umpires i must say that i agree with you. His umpire was outstanding.

He also mentioned to me that watches this thread but is not an active poster as such.

Afternoon All,

The sun is shining it is a holiday ( they all are for Merl ) and spring ( although it is Autumn I think ) is in the air it must be finals time!

As a member of Julia Gillard's faceless men cabinet I again repeat who cares who is who in the Zoo.My old mate Uncle Mick the former statesman and diplomatic Henry Kissinger like poster has got all in a tizz about my great mate Archie and whether he is Simon Baker , Billy Bloggs or whoever.
For a variety of reasons I choose to use my moniker which some others also choose to do.The child amongst other names want all the world including the UK to know when he is throwing toys out of the cot who cares it is a forum and if we all play by the rules we all get to keep playing.

Did get around to a few of the finals including a brief sojourn at water vessell nought park where the young golfers got off the tee but a few wayward strokes had them struggling to reach the greens in regulation figures.

Didn't see the tauped over paid and over rated umpires adviser in my travels but forgive me for agreeing with the Burgermeister but the advise should be out in the boom docks checking out a few of his BBQ's so he can justify their selections.

Has Banderas ridden off into the sunset and in so called hiding with the so called Archie Vorbach as even a win by his beloved water vessell noughts hasn't seen him break into print for quite a while.Jimmy I was going to hitch a ride on the back of his stallion and hide under his cape to present you with the Prestigious Merlot Horlicks CMCA tipping Trophy.Not even a feeble attempt by the former timepiece turned masked crusader can change the name of this time honour troophy.It would be like changing the Eisenhower Cup!Vinnie dust if off get it to the masked crusader and give Jimmy the only bit of silver ware he is likely to see in his lifetime!

No great surprises in the top grades with the favourites getting up and I see the poor old Sponge Bobs were relegated to second place in most of the games they played and Bob and the boys will need to put in a big week on the track to get another crack at the big dance.

Nice to see the Go dees chalk up a win over the flagpies in the meaningless NAB cup and the AFL might get a couple of thousand to moron park next week to see who gets the who cares cup.

Is the masked one also going to run the Big Mac Photo Identikit AFL Footy tipping comp currently held by either Vinnie or Uncle Mick if my memory serves me right or has he just disappeared into thin air as the blood hounds get close and closer to Royal Park and expose his real identity as the mask finally comes off.

Burgermeister how are your beloved Rockers looking my spies tell me they have been quite impressive on the training track?

Uncle Mick take it easy life's too short to get all worked up remember it is only a forum and I look forward to catching up with both you and Adam in the Long Room leather patches and all as we finally see the Go dees edge back to some of that 50's and 60's former glories.

Merl over and out but not in hiding and not running away from anyone.

PS Congratulations Army on getting a few wickets to get the foreign legion over the line you will need a few more to get over the sponge bobs next week.

JL you rilly have lowered your colors on the last post but bean a kind lovin guy I won't alowl miself to fink dispite my grandma floors that your eagley as stewpid as me if not probbly more so now, let's see if you can figer it out this time??

Not sure how I am in the know? But you would have to cut chubbs leg off for him not to play and even still he would probably back himself to skittle a few poles.

Amongst the very best ever to play in CMCA. While we have seen many magnificent all rounders (Goro, Pitt etc ) Chubbs would almost have no peer as a pure bowler.

His ability to take wickets in big games and at vital moments is, I believe, almost unparalleled. Was getting around the field like a 70 years old yesterday but put the cherry in his hand and he is like a kid again. I just marvel at how he keeps getting the job done week after week, season after season. The BUCC are indeed blessed to have him.

On another note. Expect the Spiders to bounce back. Just had a shocker in the semi and will be better for the run. May not get over East Sandy but will certainly put up a better effort.

Amongst the very best ever to play in CMCA. While we have seen many magnificent all rounders (Goro, Pitt etc ) Chubbs would almost have no peer as a pure bowler.

Some of you youngsters need a trip back to the archives when Merl was a young colt with the great East & West Bentleigh sides and even the billionaires own John Lilley had no peer.Splinter Wilson,Macfarland, etc el there are many others the old brain can't remember , I might have to find my old mate Archie or whatever name he goes under these days to bring up a few other great names.

Not sure how many flags Chubbs has played in but some of these greats played in multiple successive flags that would make the water vessl noughts record look pathetic!

Barracks predeccessor Jumbo Park was among many others, some of today's lot wouldn't hold a candle to.

Chubbs a great and less fiery temperment these days and somewhat elder statesman a great bowler, but the best we have ever seen is a little over the top.one of the greats but the jury is out on whether he has reached Muhamed Ali status just yet

Merl

Some of you youngsters need a trip back to the archives when Merl was a young colt with the great East & West Bentleigh sides and even the billionaires own John Lilley had no peer.Splinter Wilson,Macfarland, etc el there are many others the old brain can't remember , I might have to find my old mate Archie or whatever name he goes under these days to bring up a few other great names.

Not sure how many flags Chubbs has played in but some of these greats played in multiple successive flags that would make the water vessl noughts record look pathetic!

Barracks predeccessor Jumbo Park was among many others, some of today's lot wouldn't hold a candle to.

Chubbs a great and less fiery temperment these days and somewhat elder statesman a great bowler, but the best we have ever seen is a little over the top.one of the greats but the jury is out on whether he has reached Muhamed Ali status just yet

Merl

Ray Stonehouse, David Blair, Peter Caffarella, Rod Hucket, Gary Nash, Humphrey Hughes, Craig Hitchcock and probably the pick of them Graeme Bell. There are probably more. From the mid 70's till around 2000 they're were plenty of great bowlers.

Merl[/quote]

Perhaps I got a little carried away – Said he was amongst the best, not the best but happily stand by that. From memory has 4 flags and with any luck maybe another in couple of weeks. To clarify - the ‘without peer’ comment relates to his ability to get big wickets at big times in big matches. Agree that the names mentioned here are all outstanding cricketers but Chubbs not out of place in that company. While Lilley and Hitchcock were outstanding bowlers I reckon Chubb’s’ influence at Uniting exceeds theirs. (To be fair they also had success at other clubs)

A very subjective topic with many varied opinions.

Just my view merl, but opened it up as I was not born around the time of those mentioned but did play with a old Hitchcock.

Just feel that doing over 20years and majority in a period where mats n two piece ball have been replaced with consistent synthetic wickets with four piece makes me wonder how more dangerous he would of been if he bowled more on mats n with a 2 piece. No bowler has made anywhere near the impact in the new era anywhere close to chubbs on the batsman friendly wickets againts the balls that move less.

Longmuir Shield

East Sandringham VS Carnegie South

Carnegie souths' poor performance in their first final will make them come back bigger and better this weekend, but East Sandringham in finals is enough for me to tip them.

ESBCC by 4 wickets

WOOLNOUGH SHIELD:

Washington Park VS Bentleigh Uniting

Wash ups have had a good year , but Uniting could be a threat if they keep the likes of Backman, Brisbane and middlmess.

I'm tipping an upset in a close encounter, Uniting by 10 runs.

Loved hearing some of those names and some other were well before my 20 odd years umpiring & playing...better than some of the stuff being spoken recently!

Chubs was mad when he was young with a 2 piece on mats but so were many... A few names I remember inlcude Humphrey Hughes (What a gentleman) Glen Holland, Mick Alred, Hitchy but Belly (another gentleman) was the pick for me, so so smart with a 2 piece, without the brutal pace of most of the others but smarter than any quick around fo so many years..
Of teh current players U have to put Bennett in there and also Craig Park, both like chubs have made the transition from 2 to 4 piece and mats to synth (or am i getting old) brilliantly. I just wish mycricket went back to the early 90's to get a deeper look at the numbers. Would anyone have any of the greats mentioned's records?

I just wanted to congratulate Kingston Heath on their success this year, watching Simon Edgworth teaching his kids down in H grade no wonder that club is flying..Playing against the older kids 4 years ago in Woolnough u knew something special was coming.. great club built the right way. Just hope we can knock u off in 2 weeks in H grade!

Good luck to all especially Army's boys in both grades...

Congratulations on a brilliant year Leroy, a good foundation built to progress further best of luck to you n all at the Heath.

Now jimmy bunting, would love your thoughts as a man of the cmca for years highly respected........Simon Surridge in my view is the best I have seen, the best there is and the best there has ever been! I may be biased as I have played with him for 10 years and he has always got the best bats out when inform or out of form n in a period where many believe the art of good swing bowling was lost from the 2 piece to the 4 piece chubbs has continued his dominance and once again today under a inj cloud rolls out 5-14.

Your thoughts bunter??

I'll assume you mean me Brett, don't like saying one is better than another but Simon has obviously been a fantastic bowler for a long time and almost seems more dangerous now and with one exception this year no-one seems to be able to score off him either. A master at exposing a chink in the technique and thats why he tears through teams still now. Talk of the others actually got me thinking that Chubbs is actually a left handed Graeme Bell, inswinger/leg cutter combo, both great bowlers of inswing yorkers which takes care of most people. Belly was really hard to play on mats and if he was on song you knew you were in great form if you could nick one because he could do the inswinger/leg cutter combo all at the same time at will.
In summary Brett, no one can be ranked alone at our level I think so might just stick to saying he's one of the best the CMCA has seen.

It was a very busy time being part of the cordon supporting Keith Schleiger's 97 Longmuir wickets in the 03-04 & 04-05 seasons. This also with 4 piece balls & synthetic pitches. Having said this, Simon Surridge has been doing the job for Uniting for the best part of 20 years, and will be spoken of for many years after he retires.

Back