City Of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2011/12

Army any chance of some sort of analysis of the Quiney final since you played against both teams.

Clock, I think Wash Park are the better of the 2 teams IMO. That being said if it wasn't for some Fish brilliance last Sunday i doubt they would even be in the big dance (perhaps I'm biased though). Fish going up will hurt them and i dont know much about Machin, we got him for very little when we played the Sharks during the season. WP Batting is their strength, their bowling is honest and can be quite economical but I struggle to see any WP bowler getting a bag. With their batting the experiance should be what gets them over the line in a GF and that the like is CG, Noodie and Boom should stand up and post a good score for their bowlers to bowl too.
On the other hand we got our backsides handed to us by Le Page in Rd 9, the young fella Rodan took 7 poles to roll us for little over 100 (i think). I have long thought the Le Page batting to be a bit "thin" but they keep getting the job done i guess.

Key Players WP - Jiggy, Noodie & Boom
Key Players LP - Paul OM, Brudes, Rodan

In summation i think it will be a good game but my money is on WP to win the toss, bat and make too many for Le Page to chase down.

However i wish them all the best of luck and look forward to watching some good finals cricket over today & tomorrow (and maybe next week as well....)

To Casper welcome to the big league dont throw stones at east sandy, when your team were cleary not up to it 2 weeks of cricket in perfect conditions your batting makes 20 for 185, not good enough. You can blame supporters but they dont hit the ball you lost one game in the home and away gets to the finals what happened. I t was great to see some real feeling displayed by the club east sandy they still have the passion to win alot of other clubs should have a good look at themselves .

To Casper welcome to the big league dont throw stones at east sandy, when your team were cleary not up to it 2 weeks of cricket in perfect conditions your batting makes 20 for 185, not good enough. You can blame supporters but they dont hit the ball you lost one game in the home and away gets to the finals what happened. I t was great to see some real feeling displayed by the club east sandy they still have the passion to win alot of other clubs should have a good look at themselves .
East Sandy certainly showed it today. Played with absolute desire against more fancied opposition. And well done to the Washups too when all seemed lost. Don't know how they would have coped losing two in a row by a wicket. Welcome back to Longmuir Shield.

Not great news (for us anyway). East Sandy by 38 runs. Thoroughly deserved win by the zebs. Controlled the game pretty much from the start and full credit to them for defending solid but unspectacular scores for 3 finals in row. Disappointing end to what has been another great year for the Units. We will learn from it and hopefully come back better next year.

Not great news (for us anyway). East Sandy by 38 runs. Thoroughly deserved win by the zebs. Controlled the game pretty much from the start and full credit to them for defending solid but unspectacular scores for 3 finals in row. Disappointing end to what has been another great year for the Units. We will learn from it and hopefully come back better next year.
Disappointing thats there is no scores on my cricket

Well done to ESBC, just goes to show never ride off Champions, shattered to hear BUCC didn't get up would of topped off a amazing year. Also well done to wash ups.

Well done UM! Or should I say Nostradamus?
As a life member, premiership player etc of our club, I could not be more proud of our boys today in bringing our 9th flag in 11 years back home to Chisholm reserve!! Ray has come home!!!
Great stuff to Marto and the lads, loving your work!

Over to you Merlot (Adrian or whoever you are), please don't choke on your horlicks!!!!!!!!!!

ESBCC, 2011/12 Longmuir Shield Champions!

Well done UM! Or should I say Nostradamus?
As a life member, premiership player etc of our club, I could not be more proud of our boys today in bringing our 9th flag in 11 years back home to Chisholm reserve!! Ray has come home!!!
Great stuff to Marto and the lads, loving your work!

Over to you Merlot (Adrian or whoever you are), please don't choke on your horlicks!!!!!!!!!!

ESBCC, 2011/12 Longmuir Shield Champions!

Well done Scotty. Well done to all the players today. Well done to the club over all the years. Great result. It's amazing how all these other clubs over the years think that bringing in all these imports is the way to win premierships. It happens now and then but club spirit is how success breeds.

Amazing weekend of cricket. Runs on the board proved the difference in 8 out of the 9 grades - with only one side (Chelt Park in F Grade) posting a big enough score to suggest the game was probably beyond the team chasing. Mackie’s faithful must be all out of fingernails with their 2 Premierships both being decided by 3 runs. Washington Park staged an amazing fight back in Woolnough. They must’ve been second guessing themselves having gone through the heartache of being on the wrong end of a nail biter last year. Well done on a character building win and kudos to their Quiney Shield team as well for being the only side to chase down a win. It must be extra special for the club to bring home the Quiney Shield.
Lastly, well done to the ESBC lads. They showed plenty of spirit with an against the odds win. Special mention to Guy Martyn who must be pretty stiff to miss out on being captain of the team of the year. Statistically his season was on par with Lalor as a batsman, but to captain the 11 players he did to a Premiership against the Uniting powerhouse speaks volumes of his leadership.

East Do It Again -
Plenty of Upsets in Low Scoring Grand Finals

Low scores, steady bowling and nervous run chases were the order of the day as City of Moorabbin Cricket Association Grand Finals played out on the weekend.
In the Longmuir Shield showpiece, East Sandringham began very well against all conquering Bentleigh Uniting. Openers Brett Gibb and Luke Dallas started with great assurance building the score steadily with some good shots on a slightly slow Le Page Park surface. East would have been delighted as the pair posted a half century stand but less satisfied when both Dallas (19) and Gibb (25) were dismissed in consecutive overs by Uniting all-rounder Damian “Vita” Britt. East skipper Guy Martyn looked solid upon arrival at the crease and with Mark Devereaux took the score to 81 before lifting a drive to cover to end his promising innings at 20. Devereaux and Danny Corp (13) took the score along to 116 but then the East Sandringham innings lost impetus as they tried to raise the scoring rate and the result was a steady loss of wickets as Ash Russell kept one end tied up with his accurate left arm orthodox spin. Fortunately for The Zebras Devereaux returned to his “cracking” best after a lean season with the bat and although slow and scratchy early he blossomed late in the day and was able to play some of his trademark lofted drives with great timing to find the fence regularly whilst wickets tumbled around him eventually finishing with an excellent undefeated 66 and getting his team up to a challenging target of 9/178. Simon Surridge grabbed 3/44 off 21 overs, whilst Britt with 2/27 and Russell 2/61 off a marathon 29 overs also did their job for Uniting as did their team mates who, with the exception of one easy miss off Devereaux late in the day, were superb in the field.
Day two saw clever cricket from East result in an early wicket but Uniting solidified the innings although scoring was difficult against an East attack focused on not giving away any easy runs. East’s veteran medium pacer John Wilson picked up wickets periodically whilst continuing to stifle the scoring rate despite Simon Richards (35) continuing his great finals form but the game really turned in the middle of the afternoon when Uniting lost two wickets, including skipper Glenn Lalor, to direct hit run outs and it proved to be a knockout blow as from that point on the reigning champs were under the hammer and Wilson (4/59 off 30 overs) and Pat Singh (1/62 off 32 overs) never let them up off the canvas despite a dashing knock from Russell (39), but he had too much to do in the end and fell to a fine outfield catch by Dallas. Another two run outs ultimately finished Uniting off for 141. Gibb's 3 catches at slip and Corp's 3 run outs meant that the winners more than matched Uniting in the field and continued their unbeleivable run making it 9 titles in 11 years, the only other two flags in that time being won by Bentleigh Uniting.
In the Woolnough Shield final, Washington Park looked like making an absolute mess of their title challenge after winning the toss and batting. Batsmen came and went at an alarming rate to a series of indiscriminate shots as Aspendale Gardens leader Luke Manders dominated the early going taking four of the first five wickets to fall. When the eighth Sharks batsman returned to the pavilion with the score on only 92 and with the overs running out it looked like The Gardeners would have a simple chase. The one constant in the innings though had been opener David “Jockey” Mackay who, after struggling in the early overs had batted solidly, if slowly, to hold things together. He found a willing ally in wicketkeeper Orie “Click” Lack (15) who supported the gutsy opener to add 61 for the ninth wicket to take The Sharks up to 9/154 at the close of play. Manders finished with 4/20 off 14 overs and Ben Wilson (3/52) lent good support. Manders then dominated the early part of day two also belting a quick fire 55 to have The Gardeners well on top but The Sharks tightened up and the runs dried up. At 5/127 The Gardeners still looked good things but panic set in, some wild shots were played and Matt Oaten (4/41) and Ryan Heywood (4/21) maintained the pressure to steal the flag taking the last 5 wickets for 20 runs and finishing off the innings at 147 to earn redemption for last seasons final over Grand Final loss.
Le Page Park collapsed to 6/30 early against Washington Park in the Quiney Shield final. Jiggy Jasani had four of the wickets early but old hands Paul O’Meara (34) and Edi Melnjak (53*) added 70 before a late collapse had The Panthers bundled out for 125. Jasani 4/40 and Ruwan Amadoru (3/32) were the destroyers. The Sharks response was woeful and they collapsed to be 7/63 but the cool head of Chris Gorrie (36*) and the youthful exuberance of James Cleary (30*) got them all the way home from there.
Moorabbin West youngster Ryan McConville managed 57 of his teams 137 against Southside East Caulfield in D Grade, the Combines Kartar Singh was superb bagging 6/66 off 25 overs but on day two his team was under the pump throughout and capitulated for only 97. Shamrock made 160 in E Grade which was a reasonable score on a slow Southern Reserve field and they backed up to roll Aspendale Gardens for a paltry 75 on the Sunday. Cheltenham Park easily defeated Washington Park in F Grade after belting up 6/270 with Trevor Burns (82) and Harsh Upreti (54*) both in top form. The Sharks found it all too much on Sunday and were quickly skittled for 59. Mackie made only 105 against East Bentleigh Central in G Grade but hit back hard late in the day to have their opposition 4/9 at stumps. They carried on their good work but only just got home with East Bentleigh Central coming up 2 runs short and then The Machine repeated the dose in I Grade defending 107 against Moorabbin Park 104. In H Grade Brighton District veteran Steve Hill managed 103 out of 6/168 which proved too many for Bentleigh Uniting (8/143).
City of Moorabbin Cricket Association-Longmuir Shield

Bentleigh Uniting 141 (A Russell 39, S Richards 35, J Wilson 4/59) lost to East Sandringham 9/178(cc) (M Devereaux 66*, S Surridge 3/44)

Woolnough Shield

Aspendale Gardens 147 (L Manders 55, R Heywood 4/21, M Oaten 4/41) lost to Washington Park 9/154(cc) (D Mackay 69; L Manders 4/20, B Wilson 3/52)

Quiney Shield

Washington Park 7/126 (C Gorrie 36*, J Cleary 30*) def Le Page Park 125 (E Melnjak 53*, P O'Meara 34, J Jasani 4/40, R Amadoru 3/32)

D Grade

Southside East Caulfield 97 lost to Moorabbin West 137 (R McConville 57; K Singh 6/66)

E Grade

Aspendale Gardens 75 lost to Shamrock 8/160(cc) (B Lansdown 61, M Ellis 4/50, S Voss 3/36)

F Grade

Washington Park 59 (B Sievers 3/15, C Germano 3/17) lost to Cheltenham Park 6/270(cc) (T Burns 82, H Upreti 54*, R Pryor 45)

G Grade

Mackie 105 (V Trichy 4/17, V Vinagakamoorthy 3/12) defeated East Bentleigh Central 103 (V Trichy 44)

H Grade

Brighton District 6/168(cc) (S Hill 103*) def Bentleigh Uniting 8/143(cc) (J Adamson 37, I Longmuir 31)

I Grade

Mackie 107 (B Rowlands 5/32) def Moorabbin Park 104 (C Pocknee 44, J Jeffrey 3/10)

A long season for Uniting comes to an end. They participated in 23 matches for the season: 11 home and away, 2 finals and 10 T20 matches culminating in the big match at the G. For what is a park cricket association it is a remarkable number of games and one has to question whether the gruelling schedule finally took its toll physically and mentally.But as the old saying goes, once you cross that line you are 100% fit. Once again you have to take you hat off to the Juggernaut. Written off by just about everyone they just kept battling and found something when it mattered. You can't help but admire them for their achievements.

There is no doubt that come finals time the Wash Ups give the crowd their monies worth. In fact there are no Shark supporters with weak tickers, because they have seen it all before. Once again they did not let anyone down with their Firsts and seconds pulling victories from the jaws of defeat. Well done to all Sharkland and no good luck in Longmuir next season. To the Gardeners you have had a wonderful season being crowned minor premiers, and whilst the big one got away there is always next season although it will take a few months to get over it.

And so that was season 2011/12.

What a great effort by East Sandringham. I did not give the boys club any chance this week but it just goes to show what a funny old game cricket is.

Mark Devereaux batted beautifully on Saturday and posted an unbeaten innings of 66 and was supported nicely by the top order and at 3/116 the Boys Club were gunning for a massive score. Ash Russell was tremendous with the ball and Saturday and conceded just 61 runs in 29 overs as Uniting were able to take 6 wickets for just 62 runs as East Sandy went to stumps at 9/178. Going into Day 2 I thought that Uniting were going to cruise to victory but Guy Martyn and his troops had other ideas. Great performance by Singh and Wilson who bowled 62.1 overs collectively. Quite fittingly, a run out was how the match ended. I say fittingly because it really was the fielding of East Sandringham that changed the outcome of the match. Lalor run out for 3, C Richards for 6 and brother Simon was stumped wonderfully by Martyn. 1/51 turned into 4/67 within a matter of overs and just like that, East Sandringham swept in and stole the title from Uniting. Well done guys!

Woolnough Shield saw one of the games of the year. At 8/92 the Sharks were headed for another year of pain until the smallest man in the CMCA played what would have to be one of the great Grand Final innings in recent memory. Mackay was fantastic on Saturday and played with real class and courage and along with wicket keeper Orry Lack steered their team to a competitive score of 154 (a total the Wash Ups would have only dreamed about at 4.30 pm).
Manders was unstoppable in the first hour of play yesterday but a great catch in the deep proved to be a real momentum shifter. From there Ryan Heywood and Matthew Oaten strangled the Aspendale batting line-up and took the last five wickets for just 20 runs.
Oaten was magnificent with the ball and Heywood proved to be the missing link that the Wash Ups needed to win a first XI flag. Congratulations must go to Marcus Dollman in his first year as Skipper to be able to turn things around and get the Sharks up to Longmuir where they belong. Under the leadership of Marcus Dollman and with a line-up that includes Heywood, Finney, Verrall, Oaten, Mackay and Matthiesson, the Sharks might just be able to turn a few heads next year.

Once again you have to take you hat off to the Juggernaut.

I must eat a little bit of humble pie as i had written them off like most. A sensational performance from a sensational club. Add Duddy and Manders to the lineup and you can understand that they were probably robbed by the weather last season. Bad luck to Uniting, picked the wrong weekend to put in a bad one.

Speaking of Manders, congratulations on probably the best individual season ever in the CMCA and a great individual performance in the GF. Unfortunately your mates couldn't provide the necessary assistance to get the Gardens over the line after you had put them in an almost invincible position with bat and ball.

I must say, Congrats to the gold caps on their performance over the weekend they were up to anything that was thrown to them and were resolute and very determined.
My sources also suggest that at least 2 to 3 players may have played their last game, if true, what a great way to go out.
To the Units, well done on your year and i'm sure that there will be a few more GF's ahead with this group of players.
A club is measured on the overall performance of their teams, with this in mind, Uniting are streaks ahead of the rest and will continue to set the bench mark.
To the sharks, as i said previously, it sometimes takes a loss to comeback and get the result you want, well done to Milton and his crew, well deserved and also well done on getting the '' Q '' shield to shark park.
To the Gardeners, you also must be proud of the season, well done to LM for his outstanding season and hopefully you stick together.
With that, rumors abound about a possible merger and or some player movements down the freeway?
Congrats to all the other premiers on great season of CMCA cricket.

Watching the Longy final got me thinking, and with the result in Wooly confirming my thoughts i'm posing the question.
Does the rest / weekend off help or hinder, going by the results the two sides who had the weekend off lost the GF.

You forgot to add that Le Page had the week off in Quiney and they lost as well. The Preliminary Final gives a team another chance to find some form and/or confidence. Granted three matches in the three weeks is a big ask, and if teams have some veterans then they will be feeling it by Grand Final time. If you prepare properly then the week off should be a benefit; but as we know cricket is a game played above the shoulders and a week off can be a long time especially in cricket.
Personally I believe this McIntyre system has had its time. We are the only compeition that uses it and whilst it makes us unique it eliminates the cut throat element of the finals. It is time we revert back to the traditional 'sudden death' system of 1-v-4 & 2-v-3 then Grand Final. Apart from shortening the season it lets all teams play on equal footing, with the higher placed team getting the advantage in the event of bad weather. You could also increase the number of overs a team can bat from 72 to 90 and make it a real contest. I know the argument will be that it is not what is played during the season, however I will counter with how many Sat/Sun games are played during the course of a season? The Preliminary Final just drags out a season for another week and arguably gives teams a further opportunity to find some form.

You forgot to add that Le Page had the week off in Quiney and they lost as well. The Preliminary Final gives a team another chance to find some form and/or confidence. Granted three matches in the three weeks is a big ask, and if teams have some veterans then they will be feeling it by Grand Final time. If you prepare properly then the week off should be a benefit; but as we know cricket is a game played above the shoulders and a week off can be a long time especially in cricket.
Personally I believe this McIntyre system has had its time. We are the only compeition that uses it and whilst it makes us unique it eliminates the cut throat element of the finals. It is time we revert back to the traditional 'sudden death' system of 1-v-4 & 2-v-3 then Grand Final. Apart from shortening the season it lets all teams play on equal footing, with the higher placed team getting the advantage in the event of bad weather. You could also increase the number of overs a team can bat from 72 to 90 and make it a real contest. I know the argument will be that it is not what is played during the season, however I will counter with how many Sat/Sun games are played during the course of a season? The Preliminary Final just drags out a season for another week and arguably gives teams a further opportunity to find some form.

Clocker, I agree that the week off is a long time and can have a negative impact on the momentum that successful teams that have built up into the finals series and think that a debate on reverting back to the 1v4, 2v3 finals structure would be a good idea. Especially as it both shortens the season and allows clubs in the Glen Eira council to have a chance at playing home finals.

But I'd be arguing against reverting back to the 90 overs a day finals games. That idea has had it's day and I think the CMCA had overwhelming support from most clubs when they changed the finals games from 90 overs to 65 or 72 overs a day (to reflect the home and away season conditions).

At least you stopped short of suggesting a four day grand final and finals to be played in Ordinary Conditions (which gave way too much advantage to the team finishing higher on the ladder)!

Never a fan of the 4 day Grand Final.They should also include one or two Sat/Sun games for Longy only during the course of the season. It reduces the season or allows a longer break over XMAS.Clubs can make a day of it on the Sunday and gives players from the lower grades a chance to actually watch a game and ofcourse sell some beverages to help keep the wolves from the door.

All this talk about changing the finals system is unwarranted, only last year did the teams who won the flags in the top 3 grades had the week off. You have to remember you cant win the grand final from 3rd, you have to be in it to win it and i'm sure every club would rather win the second semi than lose it. I feel the system works unfortunatley Bent Unit picked the wrong game of the year to put in their worst batting performance. I would be interested to see how many times ESBC have gone straight through in their 9 flags??

Back