Cricket Albury/wodonga

Massive Coup for CAW being able to secure the services of Andrew McDonald as a marquee player for the upcoming Regional Bash game against Wagga on November the 8th.
Yes it is a good get, but it also means that someone who pays his dues and plays in our competition week in week out will miss out to make way for A.Mc.
Cade Brown, Steve Taylor and now Andrew McDonald.
No wonder players have been hesitant to put there hand up to play in the past, and it's happening again.

Yes it is a good get, but it also means that someone who pays his dues and plays in our competition week in week out will miss out to make way for A.Mc.
Cade Brown, Steve Taylor and now Andrew McDonald.
No wonder players have been hesitant to put there hand up to play in the past, and it's happening again.
So you don't think that being able to draw past players of the Comp back to play in a Competition that allows this to happen is a good idea?

So you don't think that being able to draw past players of the Comp back to play in a Competition that allows this to happen is a good idea?
Yes I do think it is a good thing, From a spectacle point of view.
But let's not forget that these "rep guys" have been training for months in preparation for these games in hope of getting selected.
Have these "marquee players" been apart of that ?
I just don't think it is very fair on the blokes who have put in the work.
Let's look at the 3 guys these "marquee players" spot they are probably taking.
Dave Farrell played in the comp for years and most know is a gun bat.
Drew Cameron same as Farrell, gun bat and good representative of our comp.
And the other could be a number of players who are already missing out like the likes of Kade Brown, Sam Harris, Ash Borella etc.
And from the bowling side with De Vries already sitting on the sidelines.
A good young quick who can't crack it yet these guys can walk straight in.
Everyone who watches or follows our rep cricket knows it should be Ball that go's but we all know that won't happen.
Is getting 3 players who no longer play in our competition really giving a true indication of where our representative cricket is at ?
I'll be there watching whenever the game is, i just think 3 is abit much.

Yes I do think it is a good thing, From a spectacle point of view.
But let's not forget that these "rep guys" have been training for months in preparation for these games in hope of getting selected.
Have these "marquee players" been apart of that ?
I just don't think it is very fair on the blokes who have put in the work.
Let's look at the 3 guys these "marquee players" spot they are probably taking.
Dave Farrell played in the comp for years and most know is a gun bat.
Drew Cameron same as Farrell, gun bat and good representative of our comp.
And the other could be a number of players who are already missing out like the likes of Kade Brown, Sam Harris, Ash Borella etc.
And from the bowling side with De Vries already sitting on the sidelines.
A good young quick who can't crack it yet these guys can walk straight in.
Everyone who watches or follows our rep cricket knows it should be Ball that go's but we all know that won't happen.
Is getting 3 players who no longer play in our competition really giving a true indication of where our representative cricket is at ?
I'll be there watching whenever the game is, i just think 3 is abit much.
Farrell played the last game.Cade Brown won't play as he is injured so McDonald is a straight swap for him. No argument about the other guys deserving a crack though.

Farrell only played because Jethro Menzies (import) pulled out.
I can see both points of view I hate the fact that the local lads (brown,Harris,borella) get over looked. But I also love the fact we get to see some superstar cricketers play.
I'm guessing the CAW will get a fairly large pay cheque if they win this Plan B big bash?!

Any CAW players should be rapt to play with Maca in any way or form , Steve Taylor is a local who shows what hard work can do and if he is willing to come back and help our comp we should be grateful to cash in as he is talented and one great bloke to be around.
On another subject , has anyone heard what's going on with our own big bash this year , I for one hope it's still a goer, but also been quiet on that front!!

Ok after the washout on the weekend I've been told it's a 50 over pennant game. Does anyone understand how it works? I've been told you can make a team bat twice and push for outright ?

Ok after the washout on the weekend I've been told it's a 50 over pennant game. Does anyone understand how it works? I've been told you can make a team bat twice and push for outright ?
Same rules as round 1, one day wides, no field restrictions.
Certainly can't make sides bat twice !
Bad luck tallangatta hahahahahaha

Same rules as round 1, one day wides, no field restrictions.
Certainly can't make sides bat twice !
Bad luck tallangatta hahahahahaha
Thanks for the info. It was just a rainy day discusion. Yes it does disadvantage some teams but that's cricket. I bet Tallangatta might get a outright against New City. Hopefully the rain predicted stays away.

Pretty quiet on here lately.
A promising young bloke makes back to back tons and nobody wants to talk about it. Congrats to Matty Crawshaw on his efforts.

Pretty quiet on here lately.
A promising young bloke makes back to back tons and nobody wants to talk about it. Congrats to Matty Crawshaw on his efforts.

It's unbelievable, considering he was a fringe player last year. Fantastic to see a young bloke who has put in a lot of hard work do well.
Also Callum Langlands already taken 14 wickets is also a very good achievement from a young kid.

Some interesting results from the weekend.. What's everyone's thoughts on the first 3 games of the season?

It's unbelievable, considering he was a fringe player last year. Fantastic to see a young bloke who has put in a lot of hard work do well.
Also Callum Langlands already taken 14 wickets is also a very good achievement from a young kid.

Some interesting results from the weekend.. What's everyone's thoughts on the first 3 games of the season?
This could be the most open race for the title we have seen for a while. I don't see any standout team after 3 rounds

Surely the team that hasnt been beaten yet is the standout. beat tallangatta the reigning premiers.
Depends if they get there full team on the park doesn't it Mick, they can't win it without the opening bowler!
Plays for the bullets yet can't play for his club side, what's going on there ?
Tallangatta will have there best side on the park when it matters, flags arnt won in November Mick.

So we're now three matches into the season, what's everyone's thoughts so far?

Baranduda seemed to have slipped under the radar a bit in District and with Kiewa seem to be the teams to beat, however a few teams starting with Wodonga aren't too far behind them.

Conversely, Howlong and Bethanga both look set to endure very long seasons. Not sure what the future holds for Bethanga especially, seeing as though they've not fielding a B Grade side this year, surely that can't be sustainable for too long.

Belvoir being the only undefeated side in Provincial is slightly surprising, especially with their win over Tallangatta and the margin by which they won by too! Premiership contenders? Albury, Eats and Raiders already seem to be slipping a long way behind the pack.

Baranduda seemed to have slipped under the radar a bit in District and with Kiewa seem to be the teams to beat, however a few teams starting with Wodonga aren't too far behind them.

Conversely, Howlong and Bethanga both look set to endure very long seasons. Not sure what the future holds for Bethanga especially, seeing as though they've not fielding a B Grade side this year, surely that can't be sustainable for too long.

Belvoir being the only undefeated side in Provincial is slightly surprising, especially with their win over Tallangatta and the margin by which they won by too! Premiership contenders? Albury, Eats and Raiders already seem to be slipping a long way behind the pack.

Yeah it ain't good about Bethanga but they seem to battle on each season. Howlong don't have a C Grade either. Where has wodonga have 5 senior sides and Kiewa I think have four. It's getting harder to recuirt and keep the younger guys.

Belvoir always seem to peak in december and eat to much pudding over christmas and slid down. Tallangatta are the smokey's just waiting on some poms to land. Woodsy still the quickest going around I was told . The did it in cruise control against Raiders. Watched Barrett and young Weidlent bowl against them. They bowled well against a good side. I'm guessing teams might be a bit surpised by there bowling.
This week will be very interesting on who wins the toss. Plenty of rain about and grounds might not have been mowed. Good luck all.

No mention of Barn/Chilt, Dederang or Mt Beauty in the district....??
No mention of North or St Pats in provincial...??
opinions on preformances or scope for flag HACK18...

No mention of Barn/Chilt, Dederang or Mt Beauty in the district....??
No mention of North or St Pats in provincial...??
opinions on preformances or scope for flag HACK18...
Well seeing as though you asked....

I would have Dederang and Mt Beauty in the group with Wodonga and Eskdale, just a shade below Baranduda and Kiewa at the moment, Dederang seems to be a big improver this season with good wins over B/C and Mt Beauty. I'm not quite as sold on the Miners though and would be surprised if they were still playing at the pointy end of the season.

Well obviously North and St Pats have had great starts to the season too, I only mentioned Belvoir because it surprised me that they were sitting that high on the ladder, especially after the issues they had leading up to the start of the season. Granted besides Tallangatta they've had a pretty soft draw to start the season.

Looking forward to this weeks round of matches, could be a weekend for the bowlers with all the rain we've had!

Back