Cricket Albury/wodonga

ok heres a question. i read the border mail today and dan dixon is saying how good the juniors at his club are but are hoping james tonkin comes back. what would you do, pick him straight away because he is a proven performer and drop a junior or pick him in seconds and make him earn his spot? is he the kind of guy happy to play seconfds and perform or would he expect to walk into the top sode?

ok heres a question. i read the border mail today and dan dixon is saying how good the juniors at his club are but are hoping james tonkin comes back. what would you do, pick him straight away because he is a proven performer and drop a junior or pick him in seconds and make him earn his spot? is he the kind of guy happy to play seconfds and perform or would he expect to walk into the top sode?
I have always thought that a club should pick its best 11 for the 1's, next best for the 2's and so on. However, there is nothing wrong with giving a few young guys some exposure to the higher grades if the opportunity presents itself as long as it doesn't risk losing the game.

Couldn't agree more Got him gone you play the game for hell of it but the aim is to try and win and ultimately
win the competition especially 1st grade.

It's great to see such a close competition.
Except for a couple sides it's extremely exciting.
East Albury will win a few games this year.

Sad to see Raiders get ourighted against Albury, I'm struggling to see a future for them.
How is North traveling, seem to have an explosive batting line up, not as strong with the ball..
Lavington are surprising me at this stage especially without Harris.
Who is the team no one expected to be up there?

Wodonga will be pretty strong once Tonkin returns.
Tallangatta are looking the goods especially with Weighell coming back at Christmas.
What's everyone's thoughts on St pats, they seem to be just ticking along not making much noise?

Looks to be a lot of junk time cricket being played aslo.. But I guess that's 2 day cricket

Ryan De Vries another 6 wickets for Kiewa, including a Hat-Trick.
Yet couldn't even get a spot in the U/23's side that played yesterday. Let alone in the side that is going to the SCG this week.
Can anyone fill us in as to why he isn't getting picked ?

Ryan De Vries another 6 wickets for Kiewa, including a Hat-Trick.
Yet couldn't even get a spot in the U/23's side that played yesterday. Let alone in the side that is going to the SCG this week.
Can anyone fill us in as to why he isn't getting picked ?
although i would like to think it isn't the reason but could be he does not play in the Provincial comp !!

would have a spot in any side i played in though, great kid.

although there are other kids not getting a look in as well and some that get invited to these sides that maybe haven't got the score on the board to warrant the opportunity. one persons opinion though.

which other kids jenno? i think its a good idea by the league to have an under 23s team as a rep side. giving younger guys rep games when they may not have got a go. zac simmons is captain of it when he would get the chance to captain the normal one. good on him.

Lavington continuing on some good early season form. Another ton for Crawshaw. He's certainly in good form.
On the flip side can Raiders find some improvement. I see Scott Vincent played A Grade so surely with his experience the younger guys could benefit from having him out there. One thing I did notice was Tim Weilandt didn't bat yesterday. Anyone from Raiders shed any light on this?

Not sure mate, but one thing I have found interesting is that in the Juniors Raiders have merged with Mt Beauty.
Now surely with their non competitive state they have in the senior ranks & a struggling junior program, there isn't much of a future for them next year?
Sad really.
What would happen with the structure of the competition if they were to go into administration?

Well done to the Border Bullets on winning the Big bash, was great to be able to watch it online. Seems like a great initiative to get everyone keen to play rep cricket again.

Hearing there was a game on the weekend marred by a wet wicket.. If true, Its really disappointing I thought the league was past those days.

Matt Crawshaw is really the feel good story of the year. Quickly turning himself into one of the elite batsmen in the comp.

It's great to see an even competition this year, looks like some good cricket being played.

Havnt heard anything of a wet wicket Wizards. Care to elaborate on which game it was at? Should be another couple of cracking games this weekend. Could we see an Ex Raider youngster play his first game against his old side this weekend? Be a great watch if it does happen! Certainly a great effort by the Bullets

Havnt heard anything of a wet wicket Wizards. Care to elaborate on which game it was at? Should be another couple of cracking games this weekend. Could we see an Ex Raider youngster play his first game against his old side this weekend? Be a great watch if it does happen! Certainly a great effort by the Bullets
Who would the EX Raider be Fast Man ? Last game before christmas so a win is a must for all. Hopefully Raiders can get over the line. There side looks a bit different but still very bowler heavy.
Yes Crawshaw has taking to a new level well done. It's still pretty close at the top with Belvoir still making plenty of runs. Hopefully they can continue it after christmas.

Who would the EX Raider be Fast Man ? Last game before christmas so a win is a must for all. Hopefully Raiders can get over the line. There side looks a bit different but still very bowler heavy.
Yes Crawshaw has taking to a new level well done. It's still pretty close at the top with Belvoir still making plenty of runs. Hopefully they can continue it after christmas.
The youngster is the young spinner Avery Weilant. Seems strange considering his Dad is/was the Club Coach. Noticed in selected teams he is in the A District side for Wodonga

The game in question was between North Albury and Albury at Bunton Park, I can't understand
why the matter has not been reported on. Perhaps Cricket Albury Wodonga don't want it
publicized or maybe there is some other reason behind it.

The game in question was between North Albury and Albury at Bunton Park, I can't understand
why the matter has not been reported on. Perhaps Cricket Albury Wodonga don't want it
Did Albury lodge a complaint? Did the umpires lodge a report? These are the things I'd be interested to find out

The youngster is the young spinner Avery Weilant. Seems strange considering his Dad is/was the Club Coach. Noticed in selected teams he is in the A District side for Wodonga
Few too many ex Raiders running around at other clubs for their liking no doubt. Maybe focusing on retaining/regaining some of their better players would get the club back to respectability. This would be a handy team of ex Raiders playing at other clubs.
J.Carson
C.Beard
S.Taylor
D.Dixon (c)
J.Marmo
C.Lodding
J.Spencer
K.Stevenson
B.Hales
S.Jennings
A.Weilandt
Coach: G.Midson
Any thoughts?

Who's left at Raiders to focus on the retaining/regaining of these players? There's a fair few on that list who were in positions of authority at the club and then jumped ship.
Now if Daisy has walked it's a massive worry.

Few too many ex Raiders running around at other clubs for their liking no doubt. Maybe focusing on retaining/regaining some of their better players would get the club back to respectability. This would be a handy team of ex Raiders playing at other clubs.
J.Carson
C.Beard
S.Taylor
D.Dixon (c)
J.Marmo
C.Lodding
J.Spencer
K.Stevenson
B.Hales
S.Jennings
A.Weilandt
Any thoughts?

when did hales play there? there are huge amount of diferent reasons why players have left in that list. the likes of dixon and lodding didnt stick by the club when they got relegated. many players left last year coz of their coach (who left anyway). carnt blame the club on everything when some people just arnt clubmen.

J.Carson
C.Beard
S.Taylor
D.Dixon (c)
J.Marmo
C.Lodding
J.Spencer
K.Stevenson
B.Hales
S.Jennings
A.Weilandt
Any thoughts?

Well that's a handy side but I'm sure there's other guys who have jumped ship from other teams to play some where else. In the end you can only field who is playing for you. From what i've been told that some don't like Coonan as a captain but remember they rang him and asked him to take on the job. He could have said no and gone to Tallangatta with Ball. Some didn't like Marmo for different reasons but he has gone so it should have been a fresh start. I have been told that a young player was thinking of leaving but said he couldn't turn his back on the club . I would say well done and he should be proud of that decision and not taking the easy way out. The guys who playing A Grade are having a crack but just aren't upto it. But give them a break they are doing more than others.
When it comes to coaches it cost you money . But in the end who do they bring is the big question. More than likley it's blokes from there old club. Cricket is dying and it's the powerhouses who have they say. Wodonga having 5 senior sides may look great but if you look at the sides how many juniors are filling the gaps. They have been getting flogged in district b grade. Just wondering what will happen at Belvoir next season if they don't win the flag?

Why would anything happen to Belvior if they don't win a flag?

In a way you're right cricket is dying but I think 2 day cricket is a huge turn off for young people. So many good young juniors quit the game around age 18.
My opinion is it's the longer version of the game. I think this current seasons format is stupid but I think/hope the league learn from it. Play 5two day games in a season & the rest can be 1 day games. Finals should be Saturday/Sunday two dayers.

I'm over talking about raiders. Im more impressed with Lavington sitting pretty top of the table. Can they stay there?
I think Belvior are the real deal, with the likes of Cameron, Sariman & Marmo very dangerous.
Very similar to North Albury's batting line up. I feel norths bowling may let them down business end of the year.

Will any Clubs snag that last minute recruit or will it be lets just roll along how we are? Been some good cricket played with at least 7 teams a real chance of winning the Provincial Comp this Season. District is also wide open

Last edited:
Back