DVCA Barclay Shield 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DVCA Barclay Shield 09/10

cold case;377480 said:
Largely due to Jacques Kallis. Kallis defianately has one of the great records in test cricket but to step the run rate up according to the game situation was definately not his strong point.

South Africas issue is their mental capacity! They are unable to control the mental demons they face. Bit like most umpires when Keasy is bowling!

Its not as simple as that Tongs, ever heard of a cut shot , back foot drive, cover drive and straight drive ?

Once the bowler gets predictable , there is a lot of options for the batsman no matter if you have a 7/2 field.

I am not talking about slogging either, just smart batting.

spinnersclub;377491 said:
Its not as simple as that Tongs, ever heard of a cut shot , back foot drive, cover drive and straight drive ?

Once the bowler gets predictable , there is a lot of options for the batsman no matter if you have a 7/2 field.

I am not talking about slogging either, just smart batting.

I love how you put "It's not as simple as that" then follow it up with ever heard of "a cut shot , back foot drive, cover drive and straight drive", Its NOT as simple as that! If you have a quality bowling line up, and a captain who is able to set smart fields then it can be very difficult to score at times. Some bowlers will reraly give you an option to play some of those shots!

Judging by the way you are talking, you must be Mark Minney/Scott Gibbs or someone of that calibre, because you talk like you are a superstar that does it easy each week?

I am defiantly not a superstar Tongs lol !!! :D
Just wanted to make a point that cricket is not that simple.
Its a topic that interests me , Cold Case is probably more qualified to add to this discussion as he is one of the more premier bowlers in the comp.
It will be interesting on Cold Cases thoughts on the Epping's pitch as well, talking to an umpire a few weeks ago he is thinking about filing a complaint to the comp about it.

spinnersclub;377767 said:
I am defiantly not a superstar Tongs lol !!! :D
Just wanted to make a point that cricket is not that simple.
Its a topic that interests me , Cold Case is probably more qualified to add to this discussion as he is one of the more premier bowlers in the comp.
It will be interesting on Cold Cases thoughts on the Epping's pitch as well, talking to an umpire a few weeks ago he is thinking about filing a complaint to the comp about it.

Mernda's pitch is the same, it is disgraceful! Boardering on unsafe! You should not be getting balls comming at your throat that should be knee height, then the next ball that should come at your throat, hit you in the ankle! Its simply not good enough!

I have heard that the Epping pitch is terrible, and looking at the scores it appears that may be right!

Tongs;377772 said:
Mernda's pitch is the same, it is disgraceful! Boardering on unsafe! You should not be getting balls comming at your throat that should be knee height, then the next ball that should come at your throat, hit you in the ankle! Its simply not good enough!

I have heard that the Epping pitch is terrible, and looking at the scores it appears that may be right!

As you are aware I am not playing in this game so I can only discuss what I saw. Lalor scored 99 and Epping are 4/32 at the days end, off 80 overs. The grass is very long, most likely will be cut Saturday morning this week. A slab of beer to the council curator goes a long way in todays economy! lol. The pitch seems to be non conducive for high scores. Lalor, however were 2/60 odd and threw away many wickets by attempting to hit over the infield. Should have made a minimum of 150 which would be 240 on a normal pitch and outfield. I was speaking to one of our players after the days play and he did say it was nothing short of a minefield. Personally I think I am getting out of cricket at the right time. Last year Plenty's pitch was terrible. I believe they may have a new one now. Mernda's by all accounts is woeful, Eppings is atrocious and Eltham's while it seems ok didn't do me any any favours in the GF last year after spitting off a good length.
What the old Tiger Turf did offer was a more balanced cricket pitch. Did a bit early but was a good batting surface until the ball aged and skidded a bit thus keeping the batsmen honest. Now we have a mixture of the old surface and the new, it must be a challenge every week for the batmen. On the other hand we have introduced the most ridiculous rule voted in by imbeciles. No new ball option after 200 runs. This rule should be re introduced but can only come into play if the batting team have made 200 at the 70 over mark.
Until the Presidents have forums to discuss future rule changes and so on by themselves then not much will change if they keep going in blind at AGM's.

Tongs;377772 said:

i dont think the pitch had anything to do with the scores we did not bat that well and the ground was lush, you hit the ball hard and you are lucky to get past the field and epping were bowling good lines so it was a bit slow going .

cold case;377776 said:
As you are aware I am not playing in this game so I can only discuss what I saw. Lalor scored 99 and Epping are 4/32 at the days end, off 80 overs. The grass is very long, most likely will be cut Saturday morning this week. A slab of beer to the council curator goes a long way in todays economy! lol. The pitch seems to be non conducive for high scores. Lalor, however were 2/60 odd and threw away many wickets by attempting to hit over the infield. Should have made a minimum of 150 which would be 240 on a normal pitch and outfield. I was speaking to one of our players after the days play and he did say it was nothing short of a minefield. Personally I think I am getting out of cricket at the right time. Last year Plenty's pitch was terrible. I believe they may have a new one now. Mernda's by all accounts is woeful, Eppings is atrocious and Eltham's while it seems ok didn't do me any any favours in the GF last year after spitting off a good length.
What the old Tiger Turf did offer was a more balanced cricket pitch. Did a bit early but was a good batting surface until the ball aged and skidded a bit thus keeping the batsmen honest. Now we have a mixture of the old surface and the new, it must be a challenge every week for the batmen. On the other hand we have introduced the most ridiculous rule voted in by imbeciles. No new ball option after 200 runs. This rule should be re introduced but can only come into play if the batting team have made 200 at the 70 over mark.
Until the Presidents have forums to discuss future rule changes and so on by themselves then not much will change if they keep going in blind at AGM's.

I am extreemly surprised that you don't rate Elthams pitch! I think it is one of the best I have played on, and I have never heard anyone say a bad word about it! Most compliment it!

Diamond Creeks is very dangerous too! That needs to be looked at. When you have experienced players (and good bats), say the will never bat at training without a lid on because of the pitch, you know you have issues!

Tongs;377780 said:
I am extreemly surprised that you don't rate Elthams pitch! I think it is one of the best I have played on, and I have never heard anyone say a bad word about it! Most compliment it!

Diamond Creeks is very dangerous too! That needs to be looked at. When you have experienced players (and good bats), say the will never bat at training without a lid on because of the pitch, you know you have issues!

I do rate Eltham's pitch. Last year the as you know it was soaked for a fair majority of the final. I truly believe these new pitches are at their worst in the drying out period. The pitch on the last day was dry on top but still holding a bit to the constant week of drizzle/rain. The ball was doing plenty and even got to the point of just putting on a good length and letting the pitch do the work.

What i noticed with Epping's pitch after it rained the night before the game is that the dirt in the pitch turned into mud.
The pitch was black and the ball was popping and cutting in an extreme way.

As the day progressed, the pitch was settling.

My theory is that the pitches need to be vacuumed before the season to remove the soil , which may solve the problem.

spinnersclub;377791 said:
What i noticed with Epping's pitch after it rained the night before the game is that the dirt in the pitch turned into mud.
The pitch was black and the ball was popping and cutting in an extreme way.

As the day progressed, the pitch was settling.

My theory is that the pitches need to be vacuumed before the season to remove the soil , which may solve the problem.

Eppings pitch has been deadly for about 5 years. To have excuses for their pitch like the water/mud etc is not acceptable! If you have seen their pitch over the last few years, it has always been the same!

THats a good idea about the vacuuming (i would just get a blower) but it would be useless after 2 weeks. Back to normal. I know some clubs get the blower out onto them, the only issue is they do it some weeks, and not others!

Tongs;377794 said:
Eppings pitch has been deadly for about 5 years. To have excuses for their pitch like the water/mud etc is not acceptable! If you have seen their pitch over the last few years, it has always been the same!

THats a good idea about the vacuuming (i would just get a blower) but it would be useless after 2 weeks. Back to normal. I know some clubs get the blower out onto them, the only issue is they do it some weeks, and not others!

The new 19mm pitches are so thick and spongey that a blower would do nothing. Brooming is only effective for surface dust and the squeegee type broom use for the old pitches are useless. Only a high pressure gerni type vacuum might help. It seems as though cricket at local level is suffering somewhat with all the variables and nuances associated with these new pitches to accomodate for football. I am still a fan of the old style pitches and covering them up at the end of the year.

cold case;377798 said:
The new 19mm pitches are so thick and spongey that a blower would do nothing. Brooming is only effective for surface dust and the squeegee type broom use for the old pitches are useless. Only a high pressure gerni type vacuum might help. It seems as though cricket at local level is suffering somewhat with all the variables and nuances associated with these new pitches to accomodate for football. I am still a fan of the old style pitches and covering them up at the end of the year.

Agree 100%, they also do nothing for developing the younger kids.

Talk about dodgey decks Sth morangs is right up there with Mernda's

wrongun;377800 said:

These pitches are only used so that the council aren't covering and uncovering each year. They are also football friendly, I suppose. I certainly wouldn't want to land on my head after attempting one of my hangers I was once known for!:D

cold case;377803 said:
These pitches are only used so that the council aren't covering and uncovering each year. They are also football friendly, I suppose. I certainly wouldn't want to land on my head after attempting one of my hangers I was once known for!:D

Your feet never left the ground in the dozen games you played at Hurstbridge.

wrongun;377800 said:

Your right about the pitches doing nothing for development of kids! I dropped into an u/12`s game on Friday evening, a good 80 percent of deliveries bouncing at head height forcing the batsmen to play across the line all the time. As a result anything that was remotely pitched up, was played the same way. From a senior perspective, our pitch at Research was laid prior to the first game and I think it plays generally ok, but can surprise with one comeing out of nowhere.

100% BULL;377804 said:
Your feet never left the ground in the dozen games you played at Hurstbridge.

That's why I put a smiley face next to my comments. I had a skinny brother 20 years ago that could jump a bit.

cold case;377811 said:
That's why I put a smiley face next to my comments. I had a skinny brother 20 years ago that could jump a bit.

Did you eat him? :eek:

cold case;377811 said:

Richmond V Hawthorn Fosters cup night match. Still have the grab on a "Beta" tape somewhere. Thought you were going to be our next Michael Roach, How wrong i was:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back